GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread  (Read 71334 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

« on: June 20, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

Maybe the fact that the SC race didn't get much national attention actually helped Democrats? (like in KS)
Can't say Hollywood liberals want Parnell to win when they don't know who he is.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »

And remember, Parnell isn't the best of politicians. I read in a Roll Call article about how he can be a bit awkward and too quirky in face-to-face meetings with voters.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »

And remember, Parnell isn't the best of politicians. I read in a Roll Call article about how he can be a bit awkward and too quirky in face-to-face meetings with voters.

That could be part of his charm.

Most people get nervous when they meet strangers. It is an easy trait for people to empathize with.

The same article talked about how Norman is considered almost "too polished" by voters. A common complaint is that he's a "country club" politician with the sleaze to prove it.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »

Associated Press calls SC-5 for Ralph Norman.  What a big, beautiful win for Republians!!  

Apparently "surprisingly closer squeaker" isn't in Trumpites' vocabulary.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »

NYT prediction back down to Handel +1.5 from Handel +2.6
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »

If Democrats think they're going to be taking the House in 2018, this is a district they'll likely need to win.  This is supposed to be their brand new "winning coalition" of educated whites.  Epic fail.

No its not this would be a dems having a 50 seat majority seat

False

LOL ok well your posts in this thread so far have been insubstansive a so not sure why i continue to bother to reply but if i was head of the DCCC this would be on the extra seat list to take the house.  Actually i think dems need to focus on the rust belt and parts of Appalachia for 2018, in particular WV-2,3 and I think its KY-6 (the one in eastern kentucky dems had til 2012).

The seat has an R+8 PVI and the SC seat is actually imo much more alarming for the GOP considering it should not have swing much at all it should be an inelastic rural southern seat unless im missing some unique faceat of this district.

Hmm, I read somewhere that the DCCC was trying to recruit Jim Gray for KY-06.

And I agree - with Ojeda, WV-03 is in the scope of winnability. WV-02 has a weak incumbent in Mooney, who I think would get washed out if it's a reverse 2010 wave.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »

Not just gonna be one of those people who smugly dissect everything about Ossoff's campaign with their perfect 20/20 hindsight, but one thing he could've done better (from everything that I've seen, which is quite a lot) is really hammer Handel on some of the comments she's made. She's said some disgusting and unpopular stuff, but I don't think Ossoff utilized that enough. Like, it's not unreasonable to expect that calling LGBT relationships/adoption less legitimate should hurt a candidate, considering support for gay marriage and LGBT rights are literally at all time highs. Add in her gaffes like 'livable wage' and man it seems like he didn't capitalize on this aspect enough.

Agreed 100%. Handel is not a good politician, plenty of baggage, and little charisma. Ossoff's campaign should've definitely capitalized on that.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »

If Democrats think they're going to be taking the House in 2018, this is a district they'll likely need to win.  This is supposed to be their brand new "winning coalition" of educated whites.  Epic fail.

No its not this would be a dems having a 50 seat majority seat

False

LOL ok well your posts in this thread so far have been insubstansive a so not sure why i continue to bother to reply but if i was head of the DCCC this would be on the extra seat list to take the house.  Actually i think dems need to focus on the rust belt and parts of Appalachia for 2018, in particular WV-2,3 and I think its KY-6 (the one in eastern kentucky dems had til 2012).

The seat has an R+8 PVI and the SC seat is actually imo much more alarming for the GOP considering it should not have swing much at all it should be an inelastic rural southern seat unless im missing some unique faceat of this district.

This district was Trump +1 in 2016.  The rust belt is gone. Those seats aren't swinging back.  Educated college whites are the Democrats new great white hope, and they've let them down this time.  The path to 2016 isn't going to be the same for Democrats that it was in 2008.

Yep, I remember how Indiana became a safe Democratic state after Obama's 2008 victory.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »

Worst part of a Handle victory (besides the inevitable obnoxious Trump tweets) would be Republicans in Congress feeling far more confident about going through with Ocare repeal. Everything else is secondary - still nothing to suggest anything but a positive environment for Dems and morale may dip for a little while but rebound soon enough.

People deserve what they vote for.

Not to attack any of you directly, but many of us here in the small rural states are going to see our insurance rates go up by a lot more than those in more densely populated areas. It's a damn shame to see many of my neighbors going to struggle to find decent health insurance they can afford.

It really does suck that a rich suburban district in Georgia will end up affecting thousands here in the plains.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

Worst part of a Handle victory (besides the inevitable obnoxious Trump tweets) would be Republicans in Congress feeling far more confident about going through with Ocare repeal. Everything else is secondary - still nothing to suggest anything but a positive environment for Dems and morale may dip for a little while but rebound soon enough.

People deserve what they vote for.

Not to attack any of you directly, but many of us here in the small rural states are going to see our insurance rates go up by a lot more than those in more densely populated areas. It's a damn shame to see many of my neighbors going to struggle to find decent health insurance they can afford.

It really does suck that a rich suburban district in Georgia will end up affecting thousands here in the plains.

Did your neighbors in South Dakota not vote for those people by overwhelming margins too?

They do, but what I meant to say was how a Handel victory gives the senate republicans some reassurance that passing a repeal is a-ok.  
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »

Damn, I really hoped Ossoff would've pulled it off.

Just to give the Republicans a spook.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

You might gain some that way, but you might also lose some.  I know some GA-6 voters who were attracted by his attempt to run a civil campaign, especially after all the negativity last year.

And we see how much that counted for.

It's time for Democrats to embrace GOP-style tactics of personal destruction. Stop being a bunch of pussies and do what it takes to win. The Obama 2012 campaign was a step in the right direction.
Yes Democrats need to go full Fox news in 2018. Make stuff up about the canidate in an ad and give a low profile apology.

Did you know the Scalise shooting was orchestrated by Handel to win this special election? LOCK HER UP!!

The shooting happened in DC.
Handel was born in DC.
Any questions?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »

May she keep her seat till January of 2019.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »

Special elections don't always reflect what will happen in the midterm and there are plenty of Republicans in Clinton districts that will probably lose next year. GA-6 is a Republican gerrymander, anyway and it functioned just as it was intended to tonight. It could flip next year, though.
When are you guys actually going to start winning anything?

Haha, yay! No more healthcare for us poor rural folks! Yippee! Go Trump! I'm so sick of all this WINNING.

Get over yourself. Politics isn't a game, and "winning" trivializes the suffering that thousands are going to endure.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »

Ugh, I am utterly lost right now.

Democrats are showing huge swings in these special elections, but I have my doubts they will hold or be increased in 2018.

Of course, I'll be a little annoyed by Trump's inevitable "YUGE VICTORY, YOU'RE WELCOME KAREN" tweet. But what's worse is the Democrats tearing themselves inside out because of these special special elections.

I honestly have stopped caring whether we get Berniecrats or centrists elected -  I just need Democrats. Democrats wouldn't vote for Obamacare repeal, they wouldn't vote for the AHCA, they wouldn't vote for any of the awful things on Ryan, McConnell, and Trump's agenda.

I am scared for future, something I haven't felt so intensely since that evening in November.  
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »

Ugh, I am utterly lost right now.

Democrats are showing huge swings in these special elections, but I have my doubts they will hold or be increased in 2018.

Of course, I'll be a little annoyed by Trump's inevitable "YUGE VICTORY, YOU'RE WELCOME KAREN" tweet. But what's worse is the Democrats tearing themselves inside out because of these special special elections.

I honestly have stopped caring whether we get Berniecrats or centrists elected -  I just need Democrats. Democrats wouldn't vote for Obamacare repeal, they wouldn't vote for the AHCA, they wouldn't vote for any of the awful things on Ryan, McConnell, and Trump's agenda.

I am scared for future, something I haven't felt so intensely since that evening in November.  

Masshole.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »

Hmm, here are just some of my thoughts.

Sanders clones could could be competitive in conservative rural districts if they move to the center on social issues such as abortion. I think it's ridiculous to assume that what plays well in NYC is gonna play well in South Dakota, simply because the culture war is too prevalent. But many economic messages transced these cultural differences, but most voters won't even listen to a candidate's economic platform when they're a "Hollywood liberal" socially.

I really like the Democrat running against Paul Ryan and his ad. I think it was posted in this thread earlier.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »

Also why does it have to be a "dem Reagan"? The person who beats Trump doesn't have to be a democratic Reagan it can be the next FDR or maybe they become the standard bearer president

(Being facetious, of course) FDR was on a losing ticket in 1920. That means our next FDR must come from someone who's lost as a running mate.

Kaine, Edwards, or Lieberman. Mondale's still alive, right? I know Bentsen and Ferraro have passed away, and everyone before them has too, Shriver, Muskie, etc.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »

All these special elections show a pattern that in areas where Trump cratered, Democrats are not able to do much better than Clinton did. In areas where Trump did well, or rather Clinton didn't do well, the Democrats are ascendant. It basically shows that a traditionally Democratic leaning district that voted by 10 points for Trump should be just as much of a target as districts like GA-6 where Trump barely won.

Democrats need to have a 435-district strategy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies