Do you stand with the Israeli protestors? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you stand with the Israeli protestors? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you stand with the Israeli protestors?
Yes (D/-leaning)

Yes (R/leaning)

No (R/leaning)

No (D/leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Do you stand with the Israeli protestors?  (Read 933 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: March 27, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:16:41 PM »

No. It's a sloppy law, I would have preferred a clause requiring a 2/3 parliamentary majority to override the High Court, but ultimately there is nothing wrong with the Knesset having the final say. It makes Israel more democratic - not less.

Maybe more "democratic" in a strict classical Athenian sense, yes.

Modern democracies don't operate under these principles though, since they have separation of powers.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »

No. It's a sloppy law, I would have preferred a clause requiring a 2/3 parliamentary majority to override the High Court, but ultimately there is nothing wrong with the Knesset having the final say. It makes Israel more democratic - not less.

Maybe more "democratic" in a strict classical Athenian sense, yes.

Modern democracies don't operate under these principles though, since they have separation of powers.
These days it's quite the hype - particularly among so-called "GONGOs" - to completely invert the term democracy so that it would supposedly refer to the "checks and balances" that prevent policy from being affected by the will of the people. That's not my definition of democracy, though. That's my definition of the technocratic elitism, which has run wild in the West and eroded real democracy.

"These days"? If you refer to the time period from maybe the 18th century till today then you are of course correct. And it's a "hype" that was apparently originated by John Locke and the likes. Personally I don't care what "your" definition of democracy is, especially since it is probably a particularly appalling one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies