Has Bush ruined the GOP among an entire generation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:54:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has Bush ruined the GOP among an entire generation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Has Bush ruined the GOP among an entire generation?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Has Bush ruined the GOP among an entire generation?  (Read 2752 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »

I wouldn't say ruined... but he has seen the rise of the most Democratic generation in a very long time.

Statistics show that in the early '90s, when the X Gen. was coming of age, they were nearly half and half for the Republicans and now they are the most conservative group of voters.

My generation is giving a huge margin to the Democrats... sure, it'll moderate some but we will still give a healthy margin to the Democrats.

While the verdict is still out on what we will do as a generation to the political establishment, we are very different from our baby boomer parents... the most important one being that we're less individualistic (read:  less selfish).

I think it says a lot that volunteering has surged among young people... we want to get involved and make a difference...

In the 4-part cycle of generations, we are the next civic generation.  We will place significantly more trust in government and various institutions than the previous generation and we will be more involved in the community, rather than just in our families like the reactive gen. Xers.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »

I hope my generation neither licks the boots nor reacts and rebels against those that have hurt the country for personal gain... rather, I hope we can collectively say "get the f**k out of my way!"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »

It is very much a love-hate thing with baby boomer parents.  But nobody knows better than us how to get around their shenanigans and see right through their bullsh**t... Smiley  It's kind of a "mom, I love you, and you're a really great friend to me... but you can be such a freaking idiot sometimes" thing...

My parents really let me have independence though...

But I guess we'll see if any of this confirms on election day.  It would be really great to see the youth vote balloon to a record regardless of which candidate they support.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »

Roe vs. Wade was the defining social issue for the baby boom generation.  Support is going to be strong because they remember the fight well.

On a totally weird tangent... my grandma was tlaking about baking fruited applesauce cake... and how she heats up the wet ingredients in the microwave...

My grandmother has embraced the microwave in ways that I never would, despite her having lived 50+ years of her life without one and me having had one all of my life... but she has also been known to bake cookies in a toaster oven.  I love my grandma.

But the same principle can be applied.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies