My mother and Catholicism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:27:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  My mother and Catholicism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you look down on my mom, and all others like her who abononded the RCC
No, they made their choice, and it's better than claiming to be Catholic while in a church they do not follow at all

Yes, ex-Catholics are people who can't handle morals and just want a wishy-washy church that'll heed to their whims

I'm not Catholic

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: My mother and Catholicism  (Read 662 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2005, 11:20:46 AM »

Of course I have to vote option 3. But I'm kind of getting the gist of the attitude in #2 from many posters here.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:25:04 AM »

I dont think anyone's upset that she left , its what she said about the church afterward.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:26:31 AM »

Maybe she should have had a son that could spell.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:34:24 AM »

No, because I did the same thing. I went through catachism, which is just an educational program that teaches the principles Catholicism to members of the church who are in public school, from first grade until tenth grade. That was the year I was supposed to get confirmed, but I dropped out mainly because anytime I would ask a theological question, they would say that I couldn't ask those kinds of questions until I was confirmed. After that I sort of became an agnostic. I believed that there was some all powerful being that controlled everything, but I wasn't sure it was God that I had been told existed. It wasn't until about 4 to 5 months ago that I put my trust in Jesus Christ  again, not that I ever had before though. So, now I'm just a Christian. However, I am looking into the Methodist church.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:36:25 AM »

No, because I did the same thing. I went through catachism, which is just an educational program that teaches the principles Catholicism to members of the church who are in public school, from first grade until tenth grade. That was the year I was supposed to get confirmed, but I dropped out mainly because anytime I would ask a theological question, they would say that I couldn't ask those kinds of questions until I was confirmed. After that I sort of became an agnostic. I believed that there was some all powerful being that controlled everything, but I wasn't sure it was God that I had been told existed. It wasn't until about 4 to 5 months ago that I put my trust in Jesus Christ  again, not that I ever had before though. So, now I'm just a Christian. However, I am looking into the Methodist church.

Whoever told you that was an idiot and were just covering up for the fact that they didn't know the answers.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:38:08 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2005, 11:45:21 AM by angus »

I dont think anyone's upset that she left , its what she said about the church afterward.

yes.  and for the record, this is not prejudism, but rather postjudism, since it occured after some study.  but it's no less offensive.   And I think you'd find that protestants, jews, muslims, zoroastrians, hindu, and all the rest would probably agree that the problem wasn't the desertion, but the mocking.

After seven days
He was quite tired so God said:
"Let there be a day
Just for picnics, with wine and bread"
He gathered up some people he had made
Created blanket and laid back in the shade

The people sipped their wine
And what with God there, they asked him questions
Like: do you have to eat
Or get your hair cut in heaven?
And if your eye got poked out in this life
Would it be waiting up in heaven with your wife?

God shuffled his feet and glanced around at them;
The people cleared their throats and stared right back at him

So he said:"Once there was a boy
Who woke up with blue hair
To him it was a joy
Until he ran out into the warm air
He thought of how his friend would come to see;
And would they laugh, or had he got some strange disease?

God shuffled his feet and glanced around at them;
The people cleared their throats and stared right back at him

The people sat waiting
Out on their blankets in the garden
But God said nothing
So someone asked him:"I beg your pardon:
I'm not quite clear about what you just spoke
What that a parabole, or a very subtle joke?"

--Crash Test Dummies
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:43:20 AM »

I don't have anything against Catholics and don't think I would ever dis them. I just don't believe in a lot of what they teach. I had deep respect for Pope John Paul II. He promoted religious tolerance and was bold enough to critcize President Bush on the War in Iraq. I just want to clarify that I don't blame the Catholics for my lack of faith growing up. I just couldn't connect with them. So, it's partially my fault. I guess I just grew up and had a better understanding of God and the sacrifice of Jesus.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:42:18 PM »

I don't have anything against Catholics and don't think I would ever dis them. I just don't believe in a lot of what they teach. I had deep respect for Pope John Paul II. He promoted religious tolerance and was bold enough to critcize President Bush on the War in Iraq. I just want to clarify that I don't blame the Catholics for my lack of faith growing up. I just couldn't connect with them. So, it's partially my fault. I guess I just grew up and had a better understanding of God and the sacrifice of Jesus.

I too liked our Pope for standing up to Bush and promoting a lot of liberal ideas around the world.  I also consider myself a Christian, but I have some problems with the Church's inflexible doctrines on married or women priests and contraception.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 03:51:26 PM »

I vote no, because I did the same thing.  Except that I didn't join another church or rail against any particular aspect of the RCC.  I just lost interest in the whole shabang.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies