North Carolina and how most are wrong (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:55:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  North Carolina and how most are wrong (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina and how most are wrong  (Read 2556 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« on: November 08, 2020, 07:04:07 PM »

The influence of the Research Triangle is exaggerated I think.  Raleigh metro is only about 12% of the state population.

It's more than that. Raleigh-Durham (you have to include both) is 18% of NC.
For comparison, Charlotte is 21% of NC and the Triad is 17% of NC.

I was about to say the same thing. Georgia and North Carolina are almost even in populations but NC is more spread out. Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Triad metro areas are equal to the same size as Atlanta Metro so they both take up 55-58% of their state's population.

While I'm not sure. I think Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad is more Democratic than Atlanta Metro. The problem is NC without Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad is more Republican than Georgia without Atlanta.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

The influence of the Research Triangle is exaggerated I think.  Raleigh metro is only about 12% of the state population.
While I'm not sure. I think Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad is more Democratic than Atlanta Metro. The problem is NC without Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad is more Republican than Georgia without Atlanta.
Actually, it's the opposite. Raleigh is about as Democratic as Atlanta. Trump actually won Metrolina and the Triad when you include all the burbs. However, NC cities like Fayetteville and Asheville make the rest of the state somewhat less Republican.
Oh, I was speaking about the combined votes of NC top 3 Metros vs. Atlanta Metro. Together Triad, Triangle, and Charlotte are the same size population-wise as Atlanta Metro and they take up the same amount of their respective state population.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »

Actually, it's the opposite. Raleigh is about as Democratic as Atlanta. Trump actually won Metrolina and the Triad when you include all the burbs. However, NC cities like Fayetteville and Asheville make the rest of the state somewhat less Republican.
Oh, I was speaking about the combined votes of NC top 3 Metros vs. Atlanta Metro. Together Triad, Triangle, and Charlotte are the same size population-wise as Atlanta Metro and they take up the same amount of their respective state population.
Okay. Anyway, I can tell you that in 2016, these were the stats:

North Carolina
Population 3 metros: 5,364,856 (56%)
Population rest of state: 4,170,627 (44%)
Net votes 3 metros: Clinton+64,863 (52%)
Net votes rest of state: Trump+262,187 (57%)

Georgia
Population Atlanta: 5,286,728 (55%)
Population rest of state: 4,400,925 (45%)
Net votes Atlanta: Clinton+174,809 (54%)
Net votes rest of state: Trump+406,132 (62%)

So basically, you're spot-on about the population sizes but Clinton got more votes out of Atlanta than the 3 NC metros while losing rural GA by more than the 3 NC metros.

I wonder what it will be like now considering the swing in Metro Atlanta was much more pronounced than the 3 in NC.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies