This is the 2044 electoral map... what happened? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:57:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  This is the 2044 electoral map... what happened? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is the 2044 electoral map... what happened?  (Read 1059 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 05, 2021, 06:42:30 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2021, 06:46:07 PM by CentristRepublican »

This is what happened: You somehow accidentally made the Democrats blue and the GOP red. That's the only way in which this map makes some sense. I do think I see a possibility of MA and VT potentially going Republican - a ticket involving some combo of Governors Sununu, Baker and Scott? (Also, you need to update the electoral votes to reflect changes in the 2030 and 2040 censuses - I'm sure the Rust Belt will lose a few more districts and the Sun Belt gains a couple more.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:36:00 PM »

This is what happened: You somehow accidentally made the Democrats blue and the GOP red. That's the only way in which this map makes some sense. I do think I see a possibility of MA and VT potentially going Republican - a ticket involving some combo of Governors Sununu, Baker and Scott? (Also, you need to update the electoral votes to reflect changes in the 2030 and 2040 censuses - I'm sure the Rust Belt will lose a few more districts and the Sun Belt gains a couple more.)

Republican Washington, California, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, DC(!), New Jersey, or New York do not make any more sense right now than Democratic Alabama, Tennessee, etc. In fact I'd say they seem like way bigger stretches, especially if we're to believe that Oregon, Colorado, Minnesota, and New England are going Democratic at the same time as Utah, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Arkansas, etc. I gave some plausible ways that current trends and potential political realignments could make a map like this theoretically feasible by 2044, but I can't think of ANY plausible ways the reverse map could happen.
Admittedly a Republican Washington, DC is impossible under just about any circumstances - but I don't think a Republican Washington, Illinois or New Jersey is as outrageous as a Republican Massachusetts and Vermont (both of which were the 2 strongest Biden states, with VT giving Biden nearly 2/3 of the vote, and Massachusetts over 65% - whereas NJ, WA and IL each gave Biden less than 60% of the vote each). Alabama or Tennessee going Democratic is also highly unlikely, even if the Democratic nominee is from one of those states - Al Gore lost TN in 2000, and politics in the south (and nationally) is significantly more polarized now.

Overall, I do agree that this map (unlikely as it is) is somewhat more realistic than the converse - I wrote that as a way of conveying that this map itself is highly unlikely (though I do agree, the converse, in which Wyoming, NE-03 and Oklahoma would vote blue, is equally unlikely, if not more).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies