COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269395 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it. Reopen the US economy.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it.

Silence sociopath.

Don't even bother.

While there are reasons to be concerned with the economic impacts of these sweeping stay-at-home orders, it drives me nuts when people marginalize the lives of others simply because of their ages. 

Cost benefit analysis. Happens all the time. Again, the world is brutal.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »

Gilead's coronavirus drug flops in first trial - FT

https://news.trust.org/item/20200423162137-vgafb
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »

Latest studies show infection rates much higher, which means a much lower death rate.

I’ve been saying this from the very beginning. Biggest overreaction ever.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »

This is actually a pretty good analogy.  When the terrorist attacks happened on 9/11, it was pretty reasonable for us to enact a lot of new strict security measures, because we had very little knowledge of how much this initial wave represented an ongoing threat to our way of life.  But as time when on and it became apparent that terrorism was not a serious or common threat, we mostly failed to adjust our policies in light of new information.  We still have to take our shoes off and can’t take liquids on the plane despite not seeing any airplane related terrorism in almost two decades.

These serologic studies have the potential to give us real and essential information about the prevalence and fatality rates of the virus.  It would be shameful if we don’t use this information to adjust our policies.

It’s not a good analogy at all. Increased security didn’t exactly shut down the economy. Stupid analogy, actually.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »

Baby Boomers have gotten us into never ending wars, a Great Recession, and now a total collapse of the global economy based on hysterical Coronavirus fear mongering. What a legacy.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 02:50:07 PM by Donald Trump’s Toupe »

Liberals be like...

2001: THE PATRIOT ACT INFRINGES ON OUR RIGHTS ARGGGGGG! !
2020: Government takes my rights, and I’ll cower in the corner in my home. My safe space.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

It’s not a good analogy at all. Increased security didn’t exactly shut down the economy.

The shoe bomber didn't kill 45,000 Americans and thousands more each day and cause lasting damage to thousands more, not even if he'd been successful.

Stupid analogy, actually.

Now that hurts my feelings, Donald Trump's Toupe.

You know what’s a better analogy. Iraq’s WMD. How did that fear mongering on faulty intelligence turn out?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »

Let me put it this way: I can assure you with 100% confidence that if models at the start projected 60,000 deaths instead of the 2.2 million, the United States would not have shut down. That says it all, really.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »

IHME model now pushed back the dates where many states can safely reopen. Georgia is now June 22nd, Florida is June 14th, Illinois is may 16th

What

New cases today ar over 1,000 one of the highest recorded

You do know, the trend is what is important....
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »

IHME model now pushed back the dates where many states can safely reopen. Georgia is now June 22nd, Florida is June 14th, Illinois is may 16th

What

New cases today ar over 1,000 one of the highest recorded

You do know, the trend is what is important....

You do know i dont give a damn what you say...

Very mature. Very tolerant.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »

Why does anyone think that cases or deaths are going to start suddenly steeply declining any time some?  There’s been no evidence of this in the US, and no evidence in countries that started their lockdowns sooner like Italy.

The lockdowns have stopped the exponential growth of the virus.  But they haven’t slowed it to the point where it is moving toward eradication.  In places where we have seen slow but significant declines, like Italy and NYC, it is likely because those places have such a high proportion infected that they are headed toward herd immunity.

How is Sweden doing with their lockd....oh, wait.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 07:16:21 AM »

Petition to shut this thread down and create

COVID-19 Megathread V: My Body, My Choice

• Tender

Motion seconded

[ X] DTT
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »

If I had a quarter for every time I read “Walls Are Closing In On Trump”, I would remain broke as I don’t read such drivel.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2020, 01:46:23 PM by Donald Trump’s Toupe »

“The New York Department of Health, for example, made the decision in early April to count deaths in the state that were probably due to COVID-19, but the person was never diagnosed or treated for the disease. The addition raised the national death toll by over 3,700.”

Again, I posit: How can you possibly make any good policy decisions when you have completely inaccurate data. Beyond stupid.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »

He probably wants to improve his polling numbers

Trump is briefing the nation today. Breaking in the last hour. So much for your petty sniping.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »

Trump wanted the US to start reopening at Easter. He was only 2 weeks off. A much better estimate than the 12 month long shutdown nonsense. Once again we see who the real fools are.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »

Outside enjoying the nice weather. Sorry, not sorry. #YOLO
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »

It was said ironically. And for its applicability here.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

Well, it is comforting to know that in the US, people won’t let government infringe on our freedoms.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »

Among many interesting questions on the virus response in a new AJC/UGA poll:

To what extent do you approve or disapprove of Gov. Brian Kemp’s plans to reopen Georgia businesses in the next few days?

Strongly disapprove — 43%

Somewhat disapprove — 19%

Neutral — 14%

Somewhat approve — 14%

Strongly approve — 10%

I’m not sure what your point is? You install leaders to make the difficult decisions - and the difficult decisions are mostly the unpopular ones.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:02 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2020, 08:13:37 AM by Donald Trump’s Toupe »

60k officially dead in the US now because of the virus in a few weeks.

And that’s only the numbers from hospitals and nursing homes.

Based on weekly death data from other countries (which are tracking all deaths in a country, also those at home), the real numbers could be 50% higher or twice as high.

Not sure why people are still quoting these grossly inaccurate numbers, like they mean anything. But okay.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »

Im not sure breathing moisture that close to your face due to masks is healthy, but okay whatever.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »

I do not agree with totalitarianism. Social distancing is one thing, and partial lockdowns for a few weeks is another. But going on two months and beyond? People won’t stand for it. Nor should they.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

Don’t exactly see the point in stuff like this.

“Despite that, almost 9 out of 10 Americans believe it is at least somewhat likely that the United States will find conclusive evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction or the facilities to develop them.”

https://news.gallup.com/poll/8038/seventytwo-percent-americans-support-war-against-iraq.aspx

Okay, so 9/10 Americans in 2003 believed Saddam had WMD. Does the strong polling mean he has WMD? Of course not.

Saying that 80% currently think shutdowns are a good idea doesn’t mean that in a few years we won’t look back and realize how mistaken we really were. The poll numbers are meaningless.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies