Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:19:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37
Author Topic: Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!  (Read 80556 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/editorials/article215657110.html

Revising my thought that the SoS was in the bag - Taylor has a chance here, it's not as certain as I initially thought.

Some fundraising numbers: Kelly $573k raised, $236k COH. Svaty: 213/36. Orman: 880/1.3M.

Yeah, not good for Svaty, Kelly looks to wrap this up.

It's not a good sign, sure, but this morning Svaty released endorsements from over a quarter of the House Dem Caucus. And a lot of Kelly's money is coming from out-of-state, while 89% of Svaty's is in state and the average donation amount is far less, attesting to his grassroots bid. While it would be preferable to have TV ads due to the undecideds, I think Svaty still has a decent chance.

Carl Brewer on the other hand, loaned himself $50,000 and raised a paltry $30,000 outside of that. Yikes.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »

Some fundraising numbers: Kelly $573k raised, $236k COH. Svaty: 213/36. Orman: 880/1.3M.

Orman lent himself $650,000, a substantial amount.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »

Another interesting note- former 4th District Congressman Dan Glickman donated $1,000 to Svaty and former 2nd District Congressman Jim Slattery donated $500 to him.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

I'm shifting my position: I think Kobach might be narrowly favored now, as much as I hate to say that. The Dole endorsement was good for Colyer, but he really needs a couple more positive things to happen in the next week to make me feel comfortable. The race will be close.

Also I'm hearing on the ground that Steve Watkins is pulling ahead in the 2nd over Tyson and Fitzgerald. He has a great backstory but is under fire since he apparently thought about running as a Democrat initially but changed his mind. www.therealstevewatkins.com
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2018, 12:48:23 AM »

I'm shifting my position: I think Kobach might be narrowly favored now, as much as I hate to say that. The Dole endorsement was good for Colyer, but he really needs a couple more positive things to happen in the next week to make me feel comfortable. The race will be close.

Also I'm hearing on the ground that Steve Watkins is pulling ahead in the 2nd over Tyson and Fitzgerald. He has a great backstory but is under fire since he apparently thought about running as a Democrat initially but changed his mind. www.therealstevewatkins.com

Watkins views? I know that all other serious candidates in this primary are very conservative, but - nothing about him. Presumably (if he thought about running as a Democrat) - more moderate?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »

Watkins views? I know that all other serious candidates in this primary are very conservative, but - nothing about him. Presumably (if he thought about running as a Democrat) - more moderate?

Watkins said at a forum a few days ago that he is a "pro-choice Christian". Freudian slip much?? But then again, Lynn Jenkins was originally pro-choice when she won in 2008.
https://www.facebook.com/DennisPyleKS/videos/1751379418272510/?hc_ref=ARSqDlQYB1NsqgSGOE-Gdcf-TI8uxtJSIzRFPVbFv_Util64_ejbH1lQ0AqOLWxcvBc

Watkins is running as a pretty generic conservative, but tbh his views are really all over the place/hard to pin down exactly. He expressed pretty left views when he approached Dems about running. Watkins also didn't vote for Trump (or anybody). His wife does tons of work with Planned Parenthood.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2018, 10:49:30 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2018, 10:58:31 AM by smoltchanov »

Watkins said at a forum a few days ago that he is a "pro-choice Christian". Freudian slip much?? But then again, Lynn Jenkins was originally pro-choice when she won in 2008.
https://www.facebook.com/DennisPyleKS/videos/1751379418272510/?hc_ref=ARSqDlQYB1NsqgSGOE-Gdcf-TI8uxtJSIzRFPVbFv_Util64_ejbH1lQ0AqOLWxcvBc

Watkins is running as a pretty generic conservative, but tbh his views are really all over the place/hard to pin down exactly. He expressed pretty left views when he approached Dems about running. Watkins also didn't vote for Trump (or anybody). His wife does tons of work with Planned Parenthood.

Thanks! Of course, it's all, but impossible, now to run as Republican liberal (and very difficult even as moderate), but even this hodgepdge of views is better then Fitzgerald, Pyle, Tyson, Jones or Mays...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »

Thanks! Of course, it's all, but impossible, now to run as Republican liberal (and very difficult even as moderate), but even this hodgepdge of views is better then Fitzgerald, Pyle, Tyson, Jones or Mays...

Jim Barnett is finding out the hard way that there's no path for a liberal-moderate GOPer. Ed O'Malley dropped out early for a reason-he didn't see a path.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »

Jim Barnett is finding out the hard way that there's no path for a liberal-moderate GOPer. Ed O'Malley dropped out early for a reason-he didn't see a path.

But in 2016 a lot of liberal-moderate GOPers won seats in state legislature. So, it's still possible..
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »

Huge endorsement: Kansas icon and national hero Bob Dole endorses Jeff Colyer

It doesnt matter, Doles are old news. Laura Kelly, was endorsed by Sebelius is an overachiever
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »

Huge endorsement: Kansas icon and national hero Bob Dole endorses Jeff Colyer

It doesnt matter, Doles are old news. Laura Kelly, was endorsed by Sebelius is an overachiever
Your second sentence doesn’t make sense grammatically, so I’m not sure what you mean by that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »

I said, this race wa under the rader, now its becoming more competitive. Sebelius also endorsed Laura Kelly for Gov.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »

Correct, Sebelius is Kelly's neighbor and encouraged her to run. Kelly is (probably) going to win this solely because of Sebelius' fundraising and networking help. Also, it's not going to significantly alter the race like a Trump endorsement would, but Dole's endorsement is a big get in Kansas and will probably earn Colyer a few thousand votes, which could be the difference!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »

Kobach hints to NYT that he'll get a Trump tweet, and article says that a Colyer donor has repeatedly tried to get Barnett outta the race by offering him a cabinet slot. Colyer doesn't deny it.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »

Greg Orman and the Democratic nominee will be pushing hard for a Barnett endorsement if Kobach wins the primary.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »

BREAKING

http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180803/gop-consultants-say-kobach-campaign-has-white-nationalists-on-payroll

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...is anyone surprised?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »

Kobach's spokeswoman is a black woman.

Will it matter?

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »

Colyer internal finds a tie.
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »

I haven't been following matters in KS lately. My understanding is that whomever wins the GOP  nomination will face the winner of the Democratic primary..AND Greg Orman?

Huh??

What is Orman doing? Easy to see him splitting the anti GOP vote and enabling their nominee to win with 40% of the vote or less. This is how Maine got a lunatic governor, twice. 
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2018, 08:20:39 PM by BL53931 »

Duplicate Post deleted.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »

The amount of people that are surprised is literally zero people.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

.....oh, wait, should I, ok.

GASP, HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?!!?! I EXPECTED MORE FROM HIM!!!!!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »

Praying for Kobach
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »

This philosophy is exactly what is wrong with American politics today.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

Oooooh it's soon the primaries.

I don't think Kolbach will win. He seems to be hated by many inside the GOP.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies