Who has worst taste in movies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who has worst taste in movies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who has worst taste in movies?
benconstine

Gully Foyle

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Who has worst taste in movies?  (Read 1925 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »

This is a tough one.

Benconstine thought Meet the Spartans was decent and Prom Night looked good. However Gully's is just all around trash like basically everything about about him.

Very tough...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

Ben. For sure.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »

Don't you think it would be a good idea to judge me based on something other than two statements I've made about two separate movies?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:53:18 AM »

Don't you think it would be a good idea to judge me based on something other than two statements I've made about two separate movies?

Because I haven't seen you make any more notable comments about film. Plus you appear to only enjoy mainstream schlock.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »

Mr. Constine

He reminds me of some of my friends, who also believed that Meet the Spartans looked good. Hell, they wouldn't stop talking about that film for weeks, I drove me up the bloody wall I tell you.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »

I'd say Ben. Gully at least claims to have a positive opinion of  films that aren't obviously garbage.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »

Pray, Please tell me BRTD, what is my taste in movies exactly? Do you know?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »

While you're at it, do me as well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

You think Tarantino sucks and bitch about violence and sex in films. Enough said. You also THINK NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN IS A 2008 FILM (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

I just covered it above. You seem to like trash like Meet the Spartans and Prom Night and I've never heard you speak positive of a good movie.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »

You think Tarantino sucks and bitch about violence and sex in films. Enough said. You also THINK NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN IS A 2008 FILM (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

I just covered it above. You seem to like trash like Meet the Spartans and Prom Night and I've never heard you speak positive of a good movie.

I've spoken positively of Iron Man, for one.  Why don't you tell us some of your favorite movies, and I'll tell you what I think of them.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »

Bitching about Violence and Sex? No. I bitch about nihilism, which is not the same thing. Not by a long shot.

And for the last time, No Country for Old Men was released in Ireland in 2008. I saw it in 2008. Every Irish Film Critic saw it in 2008 and reviewed it in 2008. When the critics list for 2008 films comes out in December No Country for Old Men will be there. It was released in 2008 in the UK aswell (we usually have the same release dates). The fact that its official release was in 2007 means  all to me, as I couldn't see it then as I can't travel all the way to the United States just so I can get my release dates properly.

Not that what release date is a film is on matters a jot on 'my taste' scorecard. I do admit though that Tarantino's films are those of a one-trick pony (and an increasingly tiresome trick at that).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2008, 06:07:46 PM by Casual Fraction™ »

So, Gully's taste in movies is that he thinks films came out in different years than they really did?  If so, then Ben is worse.

BTW, I think sex in films is pretty lame, too.  Not because I'm just like a dumb housewife who doesn't want her children to see it, but it seems like 85-90% of the time the sex scene has nothing to do with the plot and was just put in there for no reason except to make the movie more desirable to teenage boys.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »

I've spoken positively of Iron Man, for one.  Why don't you tell us some of your favorite movies, and I'll tell you what I think of them.

Liking a big budget blockbuster film, even one that's well done (like Iron Man) isn't very impressive at all.

I have only a handful of all time favorite movies (mostly teen movies of the 90s), but here are some recent ones I liked a lot:

-There Will Be Blood
-Snow Angels
-Bobby
-The Squid and the Whale
-Into the Wild
-Persepolis
-Juno
-Teeth

Bitching about Violence and Sex? No. I bitch about nihilism, which is not the same thing. Not by a long shot.

And for the last time, No Country for Old Men was released in Ireland in 2008. I saw it in 2008. Every Irish Film Critic saw it in 2008 and reviewed it in 2008. When the critics list for 2008 films comes out in December No Country for Old Men will be there. It was released in 2008 in the UK aswell (we usually have the same release dates). The fact that its official release was in 2007 means  all to me, as I couldn't see it then as I can't travel all the way to the United States just so I can get my release dates properly.

Not that what release date is a film is on matters a jot on 'my taste' scorecard. I do admit though that Tarantino's films are those of a one-trick pony (and an increasingly tiresome trick at that).

There are movies that aren't viewable anywhere except some film festivals in one year yet are still considered to have that year as their official release date. See Snow Angels as listed above. Listed as a 2007 film, but was only viewable in actual theaters in 2008.

And how is Tarantino a one-trick pony? None of his movies are similar at all.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »

Out of the movies you listed, I've only seen Juno, which I really enjoyed.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »

Look BRTD you've got confused with someone who cares... just you bitching moaning compels me to show up for the ass you truly are. Yes, I know NCFOM was released in 2007, I know that it was its official release date, I know what it says on Imdb.. but guess what? Nobody over here cares as no-one could see it until 2008. I live in a different country to you (until next week anyway.. can't wait!) one where the 'normal' rules of film distrubtion don't apply. If you want to bitch, bitch to Irish Times film Critic Michael Dwyer who considers NCFOM one of the best films of 2008.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Visually very good, perhaps the film made with the most talent in the past 10 years. But I think it was rather incoherent and narratively flawed.

Too Liberal. Too "wasn't 1968 a year of hope". Which it was. But doesn't a movie make. Entertaining enough though.

Funny, Very Funny, Painfully for me as I recognize that milleu. A bit too indie though.

Way too Romantic. However I fall for this sh1t. I enjoyed it.

Needed to be longer. The Graphic Novel was much more fleshed out (and thus funnier). Great Visuals however.

Could almost repeats the comments I said for Squid and the Whale. Indie should not be a genre.

Only Superficially. The Style and the attitude is the same.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »

Too Liberal. Too "wasn't 1968 a year of hope". Which it was. But doesn't a movie make.

what?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »

Too Liberal. Too "wasn't 1968 a year of hope". Which it was. But doesn't a movie make.

what?

Bobby was way too 'nostalgic for the future which never happened'. Its message was wouldn't the world be a better place if RFK had not be shot, won the Democratic nomination (unlikely even if he had lived) and became president thus instituting a new golden age of yadda, yadda, yadda.. <Insert pictures of rioting students here>.

Also it plays up the numerous myths about the 60s. Which has by now became as mythologized as the old wild west (slight exaggeration).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

BRTD, your chronic inability to see anything from anybody else's perspective does not mean that that perspective does not actually exist:

Quote from: Restricted

To us in the US (and Australia), NCFOM was a 2007 movie.  For those in the UK and Ireland, it was a 2008 movie.  The more you try to dispute this in your inimitable way, the less it appears you understand a simple fact, and the less everybody else will care that you don't get it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2008, 07:37:30 PM by No Country For Old Men was released in 2007 »

Yes, I understand that, but I don't consider foreign movies released in the US in a different year than their home country to be released in that year either. I wouldn't argue that The Lives of Others is a 2007 movie or 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days is a 2008 one.

Also by that logic everyone in the US who doesn't live in NYC or Los Angeles and isn't a film critic should consider There Will Be Blood a 2008 movie, myself included.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »

The simple fact is that people in the UK and Ireland are perfectly entitled to consider it a 2008 movie, which would be understandable.  What you think about that is wholly irrelevant.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies