Opinion of Boardwalk Empire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:14:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Boardwalk Empire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom show

Horrible show

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Opinion of Boardwalk Empire?  (Read 801 times)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Empire

One of my favorite TV shows. Freaking awesome show.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 06:46:44 PM by NiK »

Best show on TV. Nucky is such a badass; though, admittedly, I like all of the characters. Chalky White especially. "I ain't buildin' no bookcase."
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »

Best show on TV. Nucky is such a badass; though, admittedly, I like all of the characters. Chalky White especially. "I ain't buildin' no bookcase."

The portrayal of Al Capone is brilliant. The public views Capone as this evil, cold-hearted gangster, yet the show portrays him as a naive, ignorant young man.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

From what I've seen, pretty cool.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 11:57:32 AM by Das Gesicht von Wolfgang Bosbach »

Essentially tied with Mad Men and Breaking Bad for "best TV show currently in production".

Steve Buscemi is a great actor and it's good to see that he was cast against his standard Coen brothers / Michael Bay "movie character".

I also like how the 1920s are deliciously deconstructed as a deeply perverted and hypocritical society. Wink (Deep down he's also quite progressive for his time, considering that he's capable of treating blacks and women as equal to himself).

In a less corrupt society, Nucky Thompson could very well have become an idealistic and "clean" politician.

Chalky White is depicted as a highly intelligent and educated man who probably became a crime boss because for a black man it was one of the very few possibilites to actually ascend in society.

Margaret Schroeder is probably smarter than any other character on the how, but in that society she's restricted to the role of Nucky Thompson's mistress.

Nelson Van Alden is a sociopath and religious zealot who might have ended up as a cult leader or serial killer in our times. Instead, he's a federal agent during the 1920s.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »

First I heard of it, looks good from what little I could see on youtube.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »

Nelson Van Alden is a sociopath and religious zealot who might have ended up as a cult leader or serial killer in our times. Instead, he's a federal agent during the 1920s.

Another great character. Van Alden is fascinating. He's highly moral, and wants to impose his beliefs on others. However, when he arrives in Atlantic City, he is poisoned by sin... that whole whipping scene was brutal.

I like the Commodore, as well. He's a pervert, though. 13? Eww.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »

Another great character. Van Alden is fascinating. He's highly moral, and wants to impose his beliefs on others. However, when he arrives in Atlantic City, he is poisoned by sin... that whole whipping scene was brutal.

Yeah, he's certainly quite interesting. I don't know if I could say he's a sociopath or not - certainly he doesn't seem to know how to deal with other people due to a how it seems he was brought up, but he's evolving as he's getting exposed to a different world than he's used to. Buying Lucy that record player indicates he might have some care for her, and he seems to want to be "fun" to get her acceptance. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

I like the Commodore, as well. He's a pervert, though. 13? Eww.
[/quote]
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

I guess I'll be the Negative Nancy in this thread.  I tried to watch it.  I wanted to like it.  I like most of what HBO does.  But it didn't hook me....and I'm not even sure why.  I watched the first three episodes and just didn't care.  I may give it another go at some point, but it's not high on the list.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »

Soap Opera for BoBos. All money and no soul.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies