Character education (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Character education (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you have supported this bill? (see link below)
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Character education  (Read 6951 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 11, 2005, 08:36:29 PM »

"Sir" or "Madam" is certainly not necessary. However, any half-decent student would use "Mr.," "Mrs.," or "Miss."

I agree, though it still shouldn't be required.

So kids should be allowed to address their teachers by first names without their permission? This is the moral decay of this nation right here.

How is that an issue of morality? Respect, maybe, but morals?

Some teachers do not mind being called by a nickname relating to your first name. As with anyone, the polite thing is to call them as they want to be addressed. But not doing so is bad form, not a display of "moral decay of this nation" or some crap like that.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »

Why, States, should I respect someone for simply being older than me? I give due respect to those who I believe deserve it. But I will not respect someone like Opebo soley because they are older, and thus "more wise" than me. I judge people on their intellect, virtue, morals, and wiseness. I believe that respecting people just because of their age is taking the easy way out of life.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 05:36:10 AM »

It's obviously impolite not referring to people by their proper names/titles, but politeness shouldn't have to be enforced. It should be taught by parents at home, not in schools. If you don't know how to address your professor properly by the time you're in college, I don't know what to say - it's your parents' fault most likely, not the grade schools'.

True enough and I agree. But I always use sir and ma'am, on a day to day basis.

The problem with that is that I find many people think you are being sardonic. If I called my teachers "sir" or "ma'am," they would probably suspect I was either being a wiseass or am ridiculously formal.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:29:35 AM »

Wow, from the response here it sounds like the Northeast and northwest are terrible places to live. No one says "sir" or "ma'am". Do you people even bother to hold doors open for women or open car doors for women anymore? No wonder they say northerners are so brash.

I'm polite to women.  I just don't call them "ma'am" because everyone I know would look at me very strangely if I did.

I've had several supervisors (female) who got very upset with me when I called them "Ma'am."  It was considered inappropriate.

My oldest daughter says "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" to every grown adult whenever they ask her a question. I don't see how I am doing "the wrong thing" in teaching her that.

Well, at least in many areas of the U.S., it is considered archaic and stuck-up or even sarcastic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies