Do you know any poor white people? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:56:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you know any poor white people? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do they exist?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 145

Author Topic: Do you know any poor white people?  (Read 18303 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:59 AM »
« edited: March 07, 2016, 01:03:22 AM by SteveMcQueen »

All the trolls online who hate Sanders are making hay out of his statement in the debate "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to grow up in the ghetto, you don't know what it's like to be poor."  Everyone is making fun of him for this by saying that there are poor white people so they should know what it's like to be poor.  But to be honest, other than my mother who lived in a 400sqft apartment until she was 28 because she made just above minimum wage as a public-school teacher in the inner city, or my widowed great-aunt who lost her job as a librarian due to alzheimers and lives on social security but still goes to the library ever week to teach kids how to read, I don't know any poor white people.  I think Sanders is on to something here and I want to shut the trolls up.  Do you know any poor white people?

We all benefit from white privilege.  Racist KKK trolls online need to stop committing violence against Sanders' supporters by disagreeing with their deeply held beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xiT6nkCp8o
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:21:59 AM »

Oh God, I hate these comments and the poor white-hating done.

Yes, absolutely.  This is plain ignorance.  This is why Democrats have no hope of winning West Virginia.  This is why Matt Bevin is governor of Kentucky.  This is what is the matter with Kansas.  This is why George W. Bush won in 2000.   

The fact that someone calls themself a "progressive" would make fun of Appalachians the way people in this thread did is pretty amusing.  It goes to show how tribalistic much of our politics is.

Yes it's like the so called "tolerance" crowd who tolerates everything until someone disagrees with them. Democrats doing this and name calling should be ashamed.

I had to grow up around this.  NPR and MSNBC were the news 24/7.  Poor whites who voted Republican were "those stupid, stupid people", "the Republicans have lied to them so much that they vote against their own interests and don't even realize it", "there are just a lot of bigoted, backwards people in this world" and other such things.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:28:22 AM »

Oh God, I hate these comments and the poor white-hating done.

Yes, absolutely.  This is plain ignorance.  This is why Democrats have no hope of winning West Virginia.  This is why Matt Bevin is governor of Kentucky.  This is what is the matter with Kansas.  This is why George W. Bush won in 2000.   

The fact that someone calls themself a "progressive" would make fun of Appalachians the way people in this thread did is pretty amusing.  It goes to show how tribalistic much of our politics is.

Yes it's like the so called "tolerance" crowd who tolerates everything until someone disagrees with them. Democrats doing this and name calling should be ashamed.

I had to grow up around this.  NPR and MSNBC were the news 24/7.  Poor whites who voted Republican were "those stupid, stupid people", "the Republicans have lied to them so much that they vote against their own interests and don't even realize it", "there are just a lot of bigoted, backwards people in this world" and other such things.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a childhood.  May I ask how you saw the light and weren't scarred for life?  It sounds like you came around to realize rhetoric for what it is my good friend.

If you're being serious, it was all the identity politics that really turned me off from the left as a group or personal identity (I always questioned individual foreign and domestic policies and tuned out extreme rhetoric).  The left started going deep into "Republicans are racist, sexist, homophobes, whereas we democrats will agree to whatever any activist group promoting race/sex/LGBT issues demands of us" in 2012.  I started noticing, for example, that The Daily Show wasn't making fun of racist hicks in Mississippi or the Westboro Baptist Church anymore, it was making dishonest arguments against normal people or blowing up non-issues to try to burn down a strawman.  People were posting things from Salon or other left-wing sites on my Facebook feed that were totally misleading or attacked me (mostly as "doomed to ignorance") just for being a straight white man.  I ran two public-speaking-related organizations on campus and in 2013 freshmen started coming in who would try to make these ridiculous, dramatic arguments about how they were shaken to their core by some man at the grocery store who said "work hard, play hard, that's the American way" (I remember this speech vividly) or other such things (they weren't called "microaggressions" yet).

After a while, anything I heard out of left-wing sources I automatically started to reject, and I started seeing things from the other side's perspective.  Sometimes I found myself agreeing with the right on issues, other times I would reject the left initially, think about it a while, and then find myself agreeing with the left.  For the most part my positions on issues I've put thought into never changed, only my perspective and the way I took the positions of the democratic party for granted.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:47 PM »

And it takes a lot of ignorance and stupidity to make a claim like "white people can't be poor" especially since you're probably doing quite well financially and have used that security to literally sequester yourself away from poor white people.

Literally no one in this thread has said that. That's a total straw man.

Bernie said it
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »

And it takes a lot of ignorance and stupidity to make a claim like "white people can't be poor" especially since you're probably doing quite well financially and have used that security to literally sequester yourself away from poor white people.

Literally no one in this thread has said that. That's a total straw man.

Bernie said it

He clearly misspoke. You are blinded by your hatred of him if you think he actually believes that there  aren't poor white people in this country.

He didn't mis-speak, he pandered.  He knew/hoped his white liberal base wouldn't care.  Obviously he doesn't believe what he said, he's from Vermont.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies