Canadian by-elections, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:35:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2014  (Read 61004 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

Pardon my ignorance (I'm rather new to Canadian politics); but is there anyway Macleod could be won by the Liberal Party or the NDP?

no
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »

Would the ruling on citizens living in foreign countries would apply to those by-elections (context: a Court ruled than removing the right of vote to citizens living in foreign coutries since more than 5 years was unconstitionnal. That would lead to one million of persons possibly added on rolls.)?

I am guessing in this case they would go by the last riding one lived in when they left Canada.  My question is what about those who have never lived in Canada but got citizenship by being born to a Canadian born parent, what happens then?

No clue. Most likely government or Elections Canada will have to find a solution (or appeal, as the judge refused to grant them a stay).

One solution might be to have overseas constituencies like France and Italy do that way you wouldn't have the issue of people voting in ridings they no longer live in, but they will still be able to exercise their right to vote.

In that case, you have members who don't even live in the country for which they're parliamentarians. That strikes me as undesirable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies