Australia 2022 Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2022 Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia 2022 Election  (Read 45364 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: May 21, 2022, 05:41:49 AM »

I've been reading this topic from time to time and completely forgot you guys had a general election today. I know the ALP was leading in the polls. What's it looking like right now with returns in? From what I gather, ALP is winning but it's a lot closer than expected. Is that right? (It also sounds frighteningly familiar to me.)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 05:50:18 AM »

I've been reading this topic from time to time and completely forgot you guys had a general election today. I know the ALP was leading in the polls. What's it looking like right now with returns in? From what I gather, ALP is winning but it's a lot closer than expected. Is that right? (It also sounds frighteningly familiar to me.)

At the moment 30.1% of votes have been counted; ABC's numbers are as follows:

Labor - 62 (50.7%)
Coalition - 45 (49.3%)
Green - 1
Others - 5

That was the first site I went to actually. I don't see any maps though. I assume Western Australia comes in last, right? I know that's also one of the Coalition's strongholds in federal elections though. Also, from what I recall, the ALP got it's a$$ handed to it in Queensland three years ago. Have things improved there?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:02:34 AM »

I'm still my doomer self and think that the next few hours will dramatically change the result, but a little bit of hope is coming back.

That latter part is very annoying.

As someone that had a night of terror on November 3rd-4th, 2020 watching results, I would urge you to stay calm. (Yes, I know it's not easy.) They've already ruled out a Coalition Majority, so that's something and a big step in the right direction.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 06:12:56 AM »

I'm still my doomer self and think that the next few hours will dramatically change the result, but a little bit of hope is coming back.

That latter part is very annoying.

As someone that had a night of terror on November 3rd-4th, 2020 watching results, I would urge you to stay calm. (Yes, I know it's not easy.) They've already ruled out a Coalition Majority, so that's something and a big step in the right direction.

And haven't media networks generally become much more cautious about calling these things after what happened in 2000? If they are officially saying no coalition majority, there is almost certainly a 99.9% chance that this is correct.

I don't know much about Australian media, although I do know there is some shared ownership with certain media in the US.

I don't know the electorates that well anymore, but are there any urban/suburban/rural swings/trends like we've been seeing in other Western countries?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies