Opinion of Pat Robertson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:35:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Pat Robertson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Pat Robertson
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Opinion of Pat Robertson  (Read 3203 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2006, 02:32:44 PM by Frodo »

I thank God everyday that he is a Republican -he is among the greatest assets the Democratic Party has...   
useful idiot
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 02:33:30 PM »

Your average Conservative Christian.

I sincerely hope you don't believe that

I voted horrible person. Sometimes people go a little too far with Falwell, but Robertson deserves everything thrown at him.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 02:38:47 PM »

I beleive the media takes everything he says and blows it out of proportion. If the President said the stuff he says, than it would be justified by the press to make a big deal out of it. Robertson is merely a leader a faction of people, not a world leader. The media should simply ignore him if they really wanted to teach him a lesson.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »

Why?  It is true.

How does he differ from other Conservative Christians?  He just says what they want to say but are to busy trying to pretend they are mainstream.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 04:53:21 PM »

Why?  It is true.

How does he differ from other Conservative Christians?  He just says what they want to say but are to busy trying to pretend they are mainstream.

It's not true, and I'm saddened to think that you believe it is. It just shows how disconnected most people in my party are from middle America and why it's been so hard for us to gain any power since the nineties.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »

It's not true, and I'm saddened to think that you believe it is.

And I'm saddened that people still think the Conservative Christian movement is anything more than a theocratic power grab.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yet you didn't answer my question.  What makes Robertson so different from others in the Conservative Christian movement?  Not much.  He is just willing to express the beliefs that make most normal people see the Conservative Christian movement as the scary thing that it is.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 05:21:26 PM »

Seriously, that's like me asking "what's the difference between Ward Churchill(professor who compared 9/11 victims to nazis) and the average center-left American?". Then I could come up with something like "well he just says things regular liberals are too afraid to say".

Mainstream Muslims have beliefs definately more radical than the average Conservative Christian, yet when thier beliefs are criticised it's bigotry. We could say that Muslims in the US are just attempting a "theocratic power grab", but then we know that's not true. Your distaste for evangelical's beliefs comes from bigotry. They have a different set of values than you, and that's why you consider them "scary".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:44 PM »

Subtract "He may be right but there's no way to know," and what's the total?

Around 49%.

Because that seems like a pretty reasonable position. How much can you really know about God?

Well, Sharon was very overweight and was generally already in poor health.  It seems to me that it's extremely easy to explain this without saying that "God punished him".  That answer is the least extreme of those giving Robertson's position consideration, to be sure.

Still, nearly half of the voters agreed with Robertson, even without that option.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 05:43:49 PM »

Seriously, that's like me asking "what's the difference between Ward Churchill(professor who compared 9/11 victims to nazis) and the average center-left American?".

No that would be the same had I asked "whats the difference between Pat Robertson and the average moderate Christian."

Further can you cite the comparison of nazis to 9/11 victims?  If I recall correctly he attempted to justify the 9/11 attacks by looking at the average Middle eastern Muslim's point of view.  I personally could care less what a powerless Communist in Colorado thinks he has no power.   He isn't on a so called "Family Channel" on television and plays a major role in American politics.

No I'd say that the average American liberal doesn't hold the views of Churchill's politics.  Infact I'd say that if the average American liberal  held Churchill's politics the native American community wouldn't be treated like it is and was.

Conservative Muslims and Conservative Christians differ little from each other other than the name of the religion they pretend to advocate for.

Only in their eyes.  Just like when Conservative Christians scream against intolerance against "Christianity" when someone critisizes them.

Conservative Muslims in the United States would probably be attempting a power grab if they had a remote chance of not being crushed.  Look at Europe where Conservative Muslims essentially did just have a violent power grab. 

I have no problem with the idea of evangelicalism nor with orthodoxism (which are the two major groupings of traditionalism in religion).  Do I have a problem with the "Evangelical Movement" yes.  There are sane people within the movement who truely want to bring the word of God to as many people as they can.  When conversion = eternal life in heaven and failing to convert is eternal torture and hellfire I think it is a positive for people to be evangelical.  Infact I'd say that it is clearly the more moral position when compared to orthodoxy.

However the "Evangelical Movement" clearly has scary religious and political leadership.  Why?  Because it isn't about bringing people to their way of thinking religiously anymore.  It is about using the government to force their way of thinking on everyone.  There is a segment of the evangelical movement who while not being mainstream are not the vile people that are represented by Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell/George W Bush theocrats but they are infact a minority.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »

Again how are Pat Robertson and the people who would call him a "Freedom Fighter" different from a majority of those who would describe themselves as "Conservative Christians"
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 06:48:01 AM »

I can't imagine what America would be like if he had won the presidency.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 06:08:26 PM »

For him to be able to win the presidency, America would have had to already be totally screwed up and unrecognizable from how it is today.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »

For him to be able to win the presidency, America would have had to already be totally screwed up and unrecognizable from how it is today.

Remember, he said he was running because God told him to, and God told him he would win.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 10:44:50 PM »

Remember, he said he was running because God told him to, and God told him he would win.

Well, I guess God was wrong. Smiley  Or maybe something got lost in the translation from God-language to English.  Probably the latter.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 12:16:34 AM »

Pat Robertson is one of the most disgusting people on the planet.
"When I said during my presidential bid that I would only bring Christians and Jews into the government, I hit a firestorm. `What do you mean?' the media challenged me. `You're not going to bring atheists into the government? How dare you maintain that those who believe in the Judeo Christian values are better qualified to govern America than Hindus and Muslims?' My simple answer is, `Yes, they are.'" --from Pat Robertson's "The New World Order," page 218.

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »

you are a neo-nazi if you believe that Pat robertson and the christian colaition deserve anything better than dissapearing into gitmo and never coming out.
MissCatholic

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 06:40:14 AM »

If he was our President, he'd be the American version of Ahmadinejad.

AGREED
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »

Religious nuts should really refrain from making comments that are falsifiable.  God told him to?  Okay, that's fine; it's impossible to show that he didn't.  God told him he would win?  Well, if we accept the fact that God is omnipotent, omnibenevolant, and omniscient, and therefore would neither lie nor get a statement wrong, the only logical deduction is that he lied.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 09:11:44 AM »

Religious nuts should really refrain from making comments that are falsifiable.  God told him to?  Okay, that's fine; it's impossible to show that he didn't.  God told him he would win?  Well, if we accept the fact that God is omnipotent, omnibenevolant, and omniscient, and therefore would neither lie nor get a statement wrong, the only logical deduction is that he lied.

It's the political version of when Jimmy Swaggart claimed that God told him he would die if he didn't raise $x million for himself before a certain date.  People who misuse religion to take advantage of others for their own personal gain deserve a special place in hell.  Of course, none of this compares with muslim extremism, though some people like to make that comparison.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 09:25:45 AM »

It's the political version of when Jimmy Swaggart claimed that God told him he would die if he didn't raise $x million for himself before a certain date.  People who misuse religion to take advantage of others for their own personal gain deserve a special place in hell.  Of course, none of this compares with muslim extremism, though some people like to make that comparison.

IIRC, that was Oral Roberts, not Jimmy.  At the very least, Oral pulled that stunt first.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 09:27:02 AM »

IIRC, that was Oral Roberts, not Jimmy.  At the very least, Oral pulled that stunt first.

You may be right.  They all start to morph together after a while.  Jimmy Swaggart was the one caught with a prostitute, I think.  Of course, a few of them were, so that's hard to remember too. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »

Pat Robertson is one of the most disgusting people on the planet.
"When I said during my presidential bid that I would only bring Christians and Jews into the government, I hit a firestorm. `What do you mean?' the media challenged me. `You're not going to bring atheists into the government? How dare you maintain that those who believe in the Judeo Christian values are better qualified to govern America than Hindus and Muslims?' My simple answer is, `Yes, they are.'" --from Pat Robertson's "The New World Order," page 218.

This comment and the one about Chavez I agree with a lot.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »

He also said before the 1992 election that God told him Bush I and before the last one that God told him that Bush would win in a landslide. Of course in the last comment all I heard everywhere I checked was mocking, including Free Republic.

But for a nut who has gotten even more predictions wrong, look at this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hinn#Claim_of_prophetic_ability I can't believe people still take him seriously.

This one is quite...interesting:

The people actually APPLAUDED that. Disgusting.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »

This one is quite...interesting:

The people actually APPLAUDED that. Disgusting.

Yeah, I saw stuff on Benny Hinn before.  He was another one I was thinking of when I made the comment I did.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »

At first I thought you were referring to Benny Hill!

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies