Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:59:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Most socially conservative Gore/Kerry State
Michigan

Pennsylvania

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Minnesota

New Mexico

Iowa

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state  (Read 18355 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: October 18, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »

Cedar Rapids, the Quad Cities, Waterloo.. these are all pretty liberal areas in Iowa. 

And I wouldn't call Iowa part of the Bible belt.  People in Iowa go to church, but they overwhelmingly go to Lutheran and Catholic churches, which hardly push social issues like in other states.

People in Iowa are typically traditional, but they are more open minded than in other places.  I recently viewed a documentary on Postville, IA, a sleepy farm town in NE Iowa.  In 1988, a Hacidic Jewish couple moved there from New York and opened a kosher meat processing plant.  Something like 60 familes followed.

Postville, IA has the highest concentration of Rabbis of any city in the world.  Along with the 400 jobs provided by the new kosher plant, came many Mexican immigrants.  While most of the residents were wary of the "new comers", they seemed willing to open up.  The reactions by many "native" residents was not a reaction like you might think of in Mississippi.. it was the same as what you would hear in rural Massachusetts.

Iowans, while driving slow and generally being over the age of 80, are probably the most liberal of any plains state. (Southern and western Minnesota not included).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies