Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Most socially conservative Gore/Kerry State
Michigan

Pennsylvania

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Minnesota

New Mexico

Iowa

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Most Socially Conservative Gore/Kerry state  (Read 18352 times)
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« on: May 29, 2006, 12:23:09 AM »

We had the one thread on socially liberal Bush states, so I started this poll. I can see a case made for any of these states. I'm caught in a bind between Pennsylvania and Michigan. Both of these states have a large number of populist "Reagan Democrats", although they like their union.

Pennsylvania has Scranton (Home of the Caseys), Erie, Leigh Valley, and the Pittsburgh area. Those have a lot of democrats, but they are more of the Bob Casey variety. That said, the Philly burbs are very liberal and are dominated more by "Allyson Schwarz" than Bob Casey.

Michigan has two pro-life democrats in Congress (Dale Kildee and Bart Stupak) and before redistricting had a third in Jim Barcia (Bay City) The Flint/Saginaw/Bay City areas always vote their union, but also send a lot of either pro-life (Kildee) and/or pro-2nd amendment (Barcia) reps to the state legislature and congress. The Downriver Wayne County suburbs are also heavily union and John Dingell (Pro-2a) country. Southern Macomb County is similar to Downriver. The UP and Northeastern Michigan reminds me of West Virginia. Formerly very democrat and now very independent.
There are some major social liberal pockets though. Southeastern Oakland County, East Lansing, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, and to some extent Lansing, Traverse City (City, not the Republican burbs) and Grand Rapids (City itself, not the burbs which are very Republican) are all socially liberal. 

New Hampshire is another case. "Live Free or Die" is one of the most pro-2nd amendment states in the country. I think the war cost Bush more than anything else here in 2004. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies