Would a fascist dictatorship with legal abortion be a "moderate" government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:58:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would a fascist dictatorship with legal abortion be a "moderate" government?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would a fascist dictatorship  with legal abortion be a "moderate" government?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Would a fascist dictatorship with legal abortion be a "moderate" government?  (Read 4194 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 01:19:22 AM »

A female's body belongs to herself at any age, not her parents.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 01:22:21 AM »

A female's body belongs to herself at any age, not her parents.

yeah, that's usually the way courts see it when they are deciding things like custody.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 01:23:29 AM »

And, of course, this gives no regard to the fact that the person inside of the girl ought to have rights to their body, too.  But, I'll leave that go for the purposes of this discussion.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »

You're simply asking for the reason to be against parental consent. I'm explaining ones that don't involve "wanting to see as many abortions as possible occur."

If someone really was that way, they would support outlawing birth control.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 01:35:19 AM »

You're simply asking for the reason to be against parental consent. I'm explaining ones that don't involve "wanting to see as many abortions as possible occur."

Hmmm... I am sure that it was those same enlightened people who climbed onto a billboard in Erie that said "Think hard before you let go, abortion is forever"... crossing out "forever" and spray painting "a choice" over it.  Apparently, those people were interested in discussing other choices, as the billboard itself made no attempt to argue against the option of abortion being a legality.  Just mention adoption in a room full of pro-choicers and watch their body posture get defensive.  They hate it when people bring up the other options.

"Pro-choice" my ass.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 01:37:16 AM »

Hmmm... I am sure that it was those same enlightened people who climbed onto a billboard in Erie that said "Think hard before you let go, abortion is forever"... crossing out "forever" and spray painting "a choice" over it.  Apparently, those people were interested in discussing other choices, as the billboard itself made no attempt to argue against the option of abortion being a legality.  Just mention adoption in a room full of pro-choicers and watch their body posture get defensive.  They hate it when people bring up the other options.

"Pro-choice" my ass.

It's the pro-lifers who tend to be against adoption by gays. A lot of black children have to go to other countries to be adopted, there aren't enough Americans to adopt all of the unwanted black American children. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:24 AM »

"Pro-choice" my ass.

And... this proves that there people want to see as many abortions as possible occur?

Childbirth is a rather painful process, regardless of whether or not the mother has to keep the baby afterwards.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:28 AM »

"Pro-choice" my ass.

It's the pro-lifers who tend to be against adoption by gays. A lot of black children have to go to other countries to be adopted, there aren't enough Americans to adopt all of the unwanted black American children. 

I have met alot of fakes in the pro-life movement, but most people I know who are genuine in their concerns are neither racists or nessesarily opposed to gay adoption.  And, I have called out those who are loudly pro-life in terms of their rhetoric, but oppose a number of measures which would acctually help the cause.

Not only that, but gay adoption doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, since access to gay adoption would do little to change the resolves of the pro-abotion movement.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 01:43:14 AM »

"Pro-choice" my ass.

And... this proves that there people want to see as many abortions as possible occur?

Childbirth is a rather painful process, regardless of whether or not the mother has to keep the baby afterwards.

So is high school, but we all have to do that.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 03:03:08 AM »

Haha, I can't believe I used to be pro-life.

Childbirth is painful.  Rebuttal?  "So is high school."  LOL.  Well, if you want to be the one to propose mandatory reproduction, be my guest.

Anyway, I oppose requiring parental consent because at least half of minors who get their abortions end up telling their parents anyway.  The ones who don't probably have a good reason.

It's not that I want more abortions to occur.  I just don't want to ruin these poor girls' lives even more.  They've already had to find out they got pregnant, it's not like anyone rejoices over that news when they're 15.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 03:36:22 AM »

Childbirth is painful.  Rebuttal?  "So is high school."  LOL.  Well, if you want to be the one to propose mandatory reproduction, be my guest.

Anyway, I oppose requiring parental consent because at least half of minors who get their abortions end up telling their parents anyway.  The ones who don't probably have a good reason.

It's not that I want more abortions to occur.  I just don't want to ruin these poor girls' lives even more.  They've already had to find out they got pregnant, it's not like anyone rejoices over that news when they're 15.

My point, which was intentionally satirical, is that just because something comes with its own challenges doesn't mean that we as a society don't expect it out of people.  To use "child birth is painful" as a reason to support abortion is like saying that discomforts aren't worth the rewards.  That is a standard that wouldn't hold in many other areas.  What makes this one special?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 03:40:45 AM »

I think pointing out that childbirth is painful is more a way to point out that people like you are trivializing the process of pregnancy and ignoring the plight of many women who have unwanted pregnancies.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:29 AM »

I think pointing out that childbirth is painful is more a way to point out that people like you are trivializing the process of pregnancy and ignoring the plight of many women who have unwanted pregnancies.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=15608.0

Well, that's nice, but here is a measure that I drafted while in the Atlasian Senate which I believe explains my feelings on the matter and what it means to be pro-life.  Might not seem significant if it weren't for the fact that I would certainly like to see something like this happen in real life, and would purpose such a measure were I ever in power.

This all goes without saying that I was an "unwanted" pregnancy, so I think I understand the issue a little better than you think I do.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 03:59:49 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=15608.0

Well, that's nice, but here is a measure that I drafted while in the Atlasian Senate which I believe explains my feelings on the matter and what it means to be pro-life.  Might not seem significant if it weren't for the fact that I would certainly like to see something like this happen in real life, and would purpose such a measure were I ever in power.

This all goes without saying that I was an "unwanted" pregnancy, so I think I understand the issue a little better than you think I do.

*Sigh*

The good old days of forum politics.  I miss my Freedom Party.  My she rest in peace.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »

The words "Fascist" and "Moderate" don't go together.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »

They did in 1933.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »

No, not at all really. Most considered the Nazis to be on the far-right of the political spectrum and nowhere near the centre while some thought they could co-opt Hitler none thought that he was a moderate. The SDP, the various liberal factions and Zentrum were about as close as you got to the political centre in the closing days of the Weimar Republic.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:40 AM »

No, not at all really. Most considered the Nazis to be on the far-right of the political spectrum and nowhere near the centre while some thought they could co-opt Hitler none thought that he was a moderate. The SDP, the various liberal factions and Zentrum were about as close as you got to the political centre in the closing days of the Weimar Republic.

I think he is refering to moderate parties which allied with the Nazis.  It is often times forgotten how skillfully Hitler was able to use fear of communism to make the case for Nazism.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 01:38:50 AM »

Not that there wasn't anything to be scared of.  Certainly, communism had a proven track record of horror by that time.  Nazism did not.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 05:39:46 AM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 06:54:20 AM »

"Pro-choice" my ass.

We can always trust Jfern to say something completely irrelevant. I think there has been like 9 adoptions by gay couples in Sweden since it was legalized. It's not like there is enórmous demand for it. It won't affect society as a whole very much.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 07:39:43 AM »

If we had no stigma against abortion or birth control there wouldn't be as many unwanted babies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »

Many fascist regimes actually encouraged abortion. Some even made it compulsory. It was only certain women who weren't allowed them. See: Nazi Germany
99% of them. No other government that ever existed in German has treated abortions as severely as the Nazis did. Next.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies