Your background with firearms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:43:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your background with firearms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What is your background with firearms?
I own/ have owned a gun

I have never owned a gun but lived in a place with one

I have never lived with a gun but have shot one before

I have never lived with or shot a gun but have seen one irl before

I have never seen a gun irl

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Your background with firearms  (Read 1933 times)
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2022, 04:56:17 PM »
« edited: January 25, 2022, 07:14:03 PM by FrancoAgo »

never had one or lived in a house with one
but i did my compulsory military service so i've fired with a Garand, and i see many others
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2022, 05:25:36 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2022, 07:30:14 PM by CraneHusband »

Option 2, have lived in a place with a gun but never shot one

Don't like guns and don't want anything to do with them. I don't have anything against hunting, though. It's the people who own guns for """self-defense""" who are a scourge on society.

In many places this is a very real worry and has saved people I know personally's lives.
It's probably the most legitimate reason to own a gun.

The emotional appeal is understandable, but it's just not an accurate reflection of reality.

People who buy guns for self defense are statistically much, much more likely to have them stolen than to ever use them for their intended purpose. Then they BECOME the guns that threaten others in violent crimes. America has a self-perpetuating gun crime problem.

They're also much more likely to:
Die at their own hands by suicide
Family members injured or die in accidents (I recall someone my mom knew was complaining because BOTH of his children were injured in firearm accidents and he was no longer allowed to purchase guns. Like dude, be grateful your stupidity didn't KILL your children.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2022, 05:46:17 PM »

I have been to a shooting range a couple of times. Fun stuff.

Wtf based Ferguson97??

Hey, I've got no problem with guns in a safe and controlled environment.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 01:02:02 PM »

3 (I might have shot one once but I don't remember) or 4. Voted 4.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 01:29:04 PM »

Never seen a gun, held a gun, or watched anyone shoot a gun.

I care not to any of those three - but I support the right of others to do it, so long as they're not terrorist scum.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 01:30:18 PM »

I may or may not own 16. My favorite is my (hypothetical) AK47. I lovez muh gunz.

Is the AK47 available at Walmart?  I'd like to know how effective it is.  (Not to use on other people, but myself.  I'm having that kind of a day.)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »

I may or may not own 16. My favorite is my (hypothetical) AK47. I lovez muh gunz.

Is the AK47 available at Walmart?  I'd like to know how effective it is.  (Not to use on other people, but myself.  I'm having that kind of a day.)

Stupid Walmart stopped carrying them. I got mine at a college party a decade ago. AK rounds are bigger and deadlier than AR15 rounds. But most any round aimed correctly is going to be effective enough. Please dont harm yourself tho.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2022, 04:30:06 PM »

Stupid Walmart stopped carrying them. I got mine at a college party a decade ago. AK rounds are bigger and deadlier than AR15 rounds. But most any round aimed correctly is going to be effective enough. Please dont harm yourself tho.

it's an area where i agree with you.  I don't think stopping good men from having guns is going to keep bad men from getting them - and I'd like to think that good men with guns can stop some of our school shootings... we can't disarm those that can take that one shot and wipe out the killer.

I guess i'm unusually pro-gun for a person that has never had any experience whatsoever with guns - i've never even seen one up close and there's a good reason for that... Nobody wants me near a gun - once again, because of my history with suicide attempts - but I do feel it's every Americans' right to have a gun if they want (with the appropriate exceptions such as terrorists on the no-fly list and that sort of thing). 

I do feel that 99% of Americans should be able to have as many guns as they want because I know that most of those men  are responsible gun owners and sportsmen and I think from the perspective of a gun owner, I wouldn't want anyone taking away my guns either.  I'd feel that the State was too powerful - I like the idea that everyday people can obtain guns and it's not just in the hands of the Elites.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2022, 04:42:16 PM »

Never owned but lived in households with them for quite a few years.

First time I ever shot one was in High School with a couple older friends, including one who had just gotten kicked out of the Marines a few months before.

I was starting to come down off of an acid trip and we drove about 15 minutes outside of town at night to a property where the farmhouse was far enough away to be able to make a quick getaway.

We had a couple coconuts or pineapples that we used as targets and they each took a couple shots and then handed the 9 mm to me to take my turn.

Needless to say that regardless of my inebriated state I probably would still have shot wide off the mark being night-time and not properly locking my arm to minimize the kick.

They each fired a few more shots each and properly destroyed the targets before we raced back to the car and sped off just as lights were coming on in the farmhouse and hitting several backroads as quickly as possible before the sheriffs had a chance to nab us with their fishing poles....
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2022, 07:34:55 PM »

Riflery merit badge

Second-to-last option. I've handled guns (I work in a museum that focuses on contact-era Iroquois archeology but also has some later stuff including Civil War-era weaponry), but never fired one.
Sounds like a cool place.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2022, 10:13:25 PM »

Okay Mr, Reactionary....

This begs the question assuming that you may or may not own (16) why you feel the need to own so many guns???

Most normal gun owners I have met in getting closer and closer to 50 years of life, might have 2-3 and possibly 4-5.

So.... assuming you actually own somewhere close to 16 guns then why?

Really unless one is a antique gun collector, gun store owner, etc.... this really seems not only quite an expensive hobby for most working and middle-class Americans, but also begs the question of for what purpose.

Why?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2022, 10:25:55 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2022, 10:30:19 PM by Frodo »

I had firearms training at our gun club when I was in high school (so Option 3).  

Mind you, this is in Arlington county.    
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »

Okay Mr, Reactionary....

This begs the question assuming that you may or may not own (16) why you feel the need to own so many guns???

Most normal gun owners I have met in getting closer and closer to 50 years of life, might have 2-3 and possibly 4-5.

So.... assuming you actually own somewhere close to 16 guns then why?

Really unless one is a antique gun collector, gun store owner, etc.... this really seems not only quite an expensive hobby for most working and middle-class Americans, but also begs the question of for what purpose.

Why?

Always get at least 1 back up in case 1 breaks, is lost, or needs to be loaned to friends (2 of mine are on longterm loan to a friend).

.22s for target practice to save on ammo.

.380s for home carry.

9mms for public carry.

ARs for distance defense and smaller hunting.

30-06s for big hunting.

12Gs for aerial hunting/ clearing corners.

The .45 and AK are for fun.

Different guns have different specialties. Theyre tools. You need different ones for different goals. Its the same reason I have a few roofing hammers, a few ball hammers, a few mallets and a nail gun.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2022, 04:43:44 PM »

haven't owned, have lived with, have shot
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: