Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:31:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the current British government?
Approve

Lean approve

Lean disapprove

Disapprove

Meh

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of the ConLib coalition government?  (Read 1685 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: August 19, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

Disapprove. I'm done with radical right-wing liberalism, which is why I'd take the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s over anything that came before or since. In the wake of the 'Crash of 2008' I've, more or less, discovered my new liberal core

All the Crash tells me is that there is a need for more proactive government to 1) regulate the excesses of the market and 2) create a more fair society

I dare say I may approve of the odd policy but it's ultimately just going to be another dose of tarted-up neoliberalism. Labour, if anything, were neoliberal albeit with a more social touch, hence, pre-the Crash of 2008, Britons enjoying relative job security for the first time since the 1970s

I, personally, dislike Cameron. That man just reeks of his own privileged sense of entitlement
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »

Let's bear in mind that I'm assuming here that a Tory government was inevitable. So, sure I don't agree with a lot of their policies, but it could be a lot worse. If there had to be a Tory government this is about as moderate as they come.

Nowt moderate about this neo-reactionary 'slash and burn' dogmatic government, especially given the extent to which they are targetting the middle class

I suspect "We're all in this together" will come to haunt Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Alexander et al. rather like 'an end to Tory boom-and-bust' came to haunt Gordon Brown
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »

And while there is much noise being directed at so-called 'welfare scroungers' given that even allowing for Labour having to contend with the worst global financial crisis and economic downturn this side of the 'Great Depression', welfare spending as a % of GDP is actually less than when John Major left office

The Blessed Margaret was the Founding Mother of Mass Welfare Dependency in this country; indeed, Cameron, himself, admitted to Jeremy Paxman that the Thatcher governments willingly tolerated an historical leap in poverty but I hear no atonement

Surprising as it may seem we need jobs and lots of them if we are to get people off welfare and into work. The one aspect that traps people, I'd say is Housing Benefit which is why we need more social housing at a price people can afford. Labour was very lacking on that front until their 'final days'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

It's just occurred to me who Gideon (George fooking Osborne) reminds me of. That kid, in a dickie-bow tie, who was an antiques expert, and grew up and had a sex change
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:48 AM »

I've followed British politics a bit more closely recently and my impression is that Cameron may be a more pragmatic leader than Thatcher or John Major. He comes off snobby to me though.

Well, of course. He's a Tory. He went to Eton.

And such things are only 'Officially BAD' if they ended up Tory Wink

Not at all. I dare say some decent One-Nation Conservatives have come out of Eton

But as for Cameron's dilemma? Picking a state school for his children. I'd have more respect for him if he sent the lad to Eton and the lass to wherever

Trying to tell people that he and Samantha are an ordinary middle class family. LOL Grin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies