Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:13:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the current British government?
Approve

Lean approve

Lean disapprove

Disapprove

Meh

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of the ConLib coalition government?  (Read 1694 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
« edited: August 19, 2010, 01:55:51 PM by Governor Oakvale »

I'm not sure if we've had one of these recently, so here it is - what's your opinion of the current unwieldy coalition running Britain? Smiley

To my own surprise, I, no, really, "lean approve". In particular, Cameron, has far exceeded my expectations as Prime Minister - he's an asset to his party, and to the country. He's clearly intelligent, despite his occasional gaffes a great representative of Britain, and seems like he has some actual integrity. If it wasn't for Cameron's admirable performance thus far I doubt I'd be in "lean approve" camp.

Clegg is, well, Clegg, but the Liberals do have the handy effect of restraining the Tories from going MAXIMUM THATCHER, although I do get the impression that Cameron is, in many ways, genuinely a "moderate hero".

As for why I'm "lean approve" rather than simply "approve", I don't agree with a lot of things the government has done - although the cuts were less severe than I'd feared, the VAT increase was a big mistake, IMO, but then again I am, when you get right down to it, a Keynesian at heart. That said, culling the quangos was laudable.

Summary - the government as a whole is doing better than I'd expected, Cameron is impressive, and, basically, if the country had to have a Tory government this is about as moderate you're going to get. Tongue

Of course, needless to say, assuming Labour elect David Miliband (or, really, any non-Diane Abbott candidate) as leader, I'll still be hoping the government is out of office at the next election. Wink

EDIT: Here's the tl;dr version:

As Tory governments go, this is about as good as one could expect, although being an awful partisan I still hope Labour make a comeback.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »

Disapprove. I'm done with radical right-wing liberalism, which is why I'd take the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s over anything that came before or since. In the wake of the 'Crash of 2008' I've, more or less, discovered my new liberal core

All the Crash tells me is that there is a need for more proactive government to 1) regulate the excesses of the market and 2) create a more fair society

I dare say I may approve of the odd policy but it's ultimately just going to be another dose of tarted-up neoliberalism. Labour, if anything, were neoliberal albeit with a more social touch, hence, pre-the Crash of 2008, Britons enjoying relative job security for the first time since the 1970s

I, personally, dislike Cameron. That man just reeks of his own privileged sense of entitlement

Let's bear in mind that I'm assuming here that a Tory government was inevitable. So, sure I don't agree with a lot of their policies, but it could be a lot worse. If there had to be a Tory government this is about as moderate as they come.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »

The Axis of Evil, along with the BNP.

You might be exaggerating just a little.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies