Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of the ConLib coalition government? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the current British government?
Approve

Lean approve

Lean disapprove

Disapprove

Meh

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of the ConLib coalition government?  (Read 1681 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: August 19, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Clegg is, well, Clegg, but the Liberals do have the handy effect of restraining the Tories from going MAXIMUM THATCHER...

Summary - .......basically, if the country had to have a Tory government this is about as moderate you're going to get. Tongue

Of course, needless to say, assuming Labour elect David Miliband (or, really, any non-Diane Abbott candidate) as leader, I'll still be hoping the government is out of office at the next election. Wink

As Tory governments go, this is about as good as one could expect, although being an awful partisan I still hope Labour make a comeback.

I'd say strongly approve meh for now, since I didn't hear of them doing anything wrong or bad.

I agree with the above statements. The current government is making the best of a bad situation (the bad situation being the Tories back in power).

My overall opinion right now is "meh". If the Tories had to be back in power, this is as good an outcome as left wingers could hope for. Cameron is better than Hague and Michael Howard would have been (Duncan-Smith seemed okay though). I don't have an opinion on Abbott yet. I like Miliband. I get the impression he'd be a DLC-type leader (from the party's right wing) but that worked for Blair so its not as bad as DLC members here. I regret not supporting Labour more strongly during the election but I stupidly really thought the Lib Dems would do better than they ended up doing.

I thought Cameron & Obama would like each other, thoroughly modern, young, new ways of thinking, etc. but either they aren't hitting it off or its too soon after the election and both are more concerned with domestic matters for now. Does anyone know what their relationship is like? Of course, Blair and Bush got along great but I've heard Blair and Clinton didn't.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

Don't know how much truth there is in this, and it's from before either of them were in office.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2008/dec/03/obama-cameron-lightweight

Interesting. Thats the total opposite of what was reported after their July 2008 meeting. Of course them being friends isn't necessarily a good thing (See- Iraq).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies