Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 01:31:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57
Author Topic: Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)  (Read 19908 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: June 28, 2024, 02:49:07 PM »

Thank god…
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1351 on: June 28, 2024, 02:52:57 PM »

So most people had rock bottom expectations for Biden and he still couldn't meet that?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1352 on: June 28, 2024, 02:54:30 PM »

Thank god…
This was a day after the debate, you know darn well it will take more than that to register. Don't be disingenuous
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1353 on: June 28, 2024, 02:55:19 PM »

So most people had rock bottom expectations for Biden and he still couldn't meet that?

Unfortunately, yes. I noticed that he left basically every opportunity to take on Trump and hit him on his record and his lies.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1354 on: June 28, 2024, 02:59:05 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1355 on: June 28, 2024, 03:07:51 PM »

538 also did a focus group with Ipsos:

"Trump was seen as lacking on substance and avoiding questions which turned some
respondents off. Respondents found Biden to be more prepared, surprising some, but his poor
delivery overshadowed his wins on substance."

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2024-06/Ipsos%20Post%20Debate%20Qualitative%20Study.pdf
bigmike
United States
« Reply #1356 on: June 28, 2024, 03:08:40 PM »

its very interesting to me how we continue to see a much different reaction to the debate from 'normies' than the pundit class
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1357 on: June 28, 2024, 03:14:34 PM »

Thank god…
This was a day after the debate, you know darn well it will take more than that to register. Don't be disingenuous

For regular polls I would agree, but this was a before-and-after survey of the same set of voters, so it's probably a pretty reliable indicator (for that set of voters, anyway).
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1358 on: June 28, 2024, 03:58:43 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1359 on: June 28, 2024, 04:12:05 PM »

So did the debate have little to no effect (Ipsos/SurveyUSA) or did it shift the race 10%? (Leger) Really getting whiplash here!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1360 on: June 28, 2024, 04:16:45 PM »

I’m going to be taking a break honestly. This forum has gotten incredibly toxic since the debate.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1361 on: June 28, 2024, 04:20:38 PM »

I’m going to be taking a break honestly. This forum has gotten incredibly toxic since the debate.
You will be missed.  Your contributions are appreciated.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1362 on: June 28, 2024, 04:22:39 PM »

This is not really an accurate read-

This ancient fool is the reason we're in this mess. If Trump wins, Clyburn will also be at fault.
They really are going to be deen as the Weimar government was decades down the line…
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1363 on: June 28, 2024, 04:26:05 PM »

I get where you're coming from. There's a small minority on this forum who are not just toxic but downright mean to other posters and it kills any fun of being here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1364 on: June 28, 2024, 04:28:53 PM »

Thank god…

Seems too early to breathe a sigh of relief until the media drumbeat of Biden crapping the bed gets fully disseminated and sinks in with voters. I think the better hope is that it's only June and voters have a notoriously goldfish like memory. A good speech at the convention and hopefully better performances in future debates- they are having additional ones, right? - will make this ancient news, election day. Fingers crossed.

Ugh. Even the non-stop flurry of fundraising texts from the Biden campaign include a message from Joe saying how he just doesn't debate like he used to. Having to acknowledge that in a fundraising appeal?? Man, he really did inks up last night, didn't he?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1365 on: June 28, 2024, 04:30:10 PM »

I get where you're coming from. There's a small minority on this forum who are not just toxic but downright mean to other posters and it kills any fun of being here.

Yeah I've noted this:

Then, with all due respect, you’re part of the problem and should take a break from this board until you’re calmer
Best advice on this thread.

I've called out the toxic doomer culture on this forum for many times, primarily from certain posters who do it chronically and in a very annoying and disruptive way. But it's not just annoying, it can actually be counterproductive like see how in 2020 we actually a few posts along the lines of "Why even bother voting when Trump is just going to steal the election anyway?" and these points or false claims that Republican-controlled states and courts had done things like ban all mail-in voting distorting actual developments were actually put out Russian bots. Now this isn't comparable because it's actually a reaction to a recent development and not just from the usual suspects, but this sort of behavior is also not helping and is not good for one's own mental health. It's digital self-harm.

Taking a break to see how things settle on this is probably the best all around option if you're feeling this way.

I agree with this. Too often, doomerism just leads to defeatism and apathy, which is the last thing any democracy needs.
What's going to lead to defeat is nominating Joe Biden again. Please wake up folks
What exactly is anyone on this forum supposed to do about this? Again a lot of the negative posts are problematic not for being pessimistic or even doomerist but because they're hostile to others on the forum as if anyone here has any control over if Biden continues to run.
This type of hackery is like the Atlas version of the Japanese hold outs. Zero acceptance of reality. The whole country just saw your guy embarrass himself and one random poll doesn't change sh**t.

You can't say you care about democracy if you still want Joe Biden as the nominee

What are you even talking about..? No one has said this poll is good for Biden, and it has Trump winning the debate by 16 points and the headline PV is 44-41 in favor of Trump. I'm very open to Biden being replaced and even personally think I was naive a year ago for not wanting legitimate primary challenges, but why are you blaming imaginary Biden dead-enders here?
FWIW this is why I have this guy on ignore, I only saw his post because of your quote. It's not like SnowLabrador, he actually makes arguments and cites real data for his pessimistic positions, SL not doing so and just mindlessly parroting the worst case scenario for Dems is what annoys people about him, not his doomerism...however he usually directs them in a very attacking manner as if posters on talkelections.org are somehow responsible for if Biden is renominated.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1366 on: June 28, 2024, 05:38:44 PM »

Being frank, you should take some days off, but for your own mental health as well. Since you've made over a hundred posts just today, maybe you're a bit too focused on Atlas at the moment. Just enough to clear your head and recharge.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1367 on: June 28, 2024, 06:03:45 PM »

What?? lol

So, we have Teflon Don and Teflon Joe.

Imagine going back 10 years and telling yourself - or anyone - that the 2 presumptive nominees in 2024 had their best fundraising after being convicted of 34 felonies and the other after totally sucking in a debate. Conventional wisdom of the political world has been turned upside down. It's incredible.

I know, right?  Should we even bother analyzing politics anymore if Biden comes out of this unscathed or improved somehow?

Spoiler alert -- Dems will panic for a few days and then the polls will show no change

We'll see.

It's possible we're all overreacting and there was a genuine contrast which made Trump look like the obnoxious schmendrick he is which negates Biden's performance.

Although, there is also the possibility that he lost too much confidence with the Democratic base, which he already needed to consolidate, to a point where it's unsalvageable.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1368 on: June 28, 2024, 06:42:46 PM »

I'm planning to take a break myself. The sheer insanity and panic on this board the last few days is way out of proportion
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1369 on: June 28, 2024, 06:43:29 PM »

I'm planning to take a break myself. The sheer insanity and panic on this board the last few days is way out of proportion

Wait until election day...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1370 on: June 29, 2024, 04:51:06 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1371 on: June 29, 2024, 06:41:03 AM »

Thank god…

Seems too early to breathe a sigh of relief until the media drumbeat of Biden crapping the bed gets fully disseminated and sinks in with voters. I think the better hope is that it's only June and voters have a notoriously goldfish like memory. A good speech at the convention and hopefully better performances in future debates- they are having additional ones, right? - will make this ancient news, election day. Fingers crossed.

Ugh. Even the non-stop flurry of fundraising texts from the Biden campaign include a message from Joe saying how he just doesn't debate like he used to. Having to acknowledge that in a fundraising appeal?? Man, he really did inks up last night, didn't he?

Yes, he did. And the reluctance to acknowledge that head-on is getting my hackles up. That was a terrible, awful, rock-botttom, no-good debate on Biden's part, and the refusal to acknowledge it in some circles reminds me of how Republicans treat convicted felon Donald Trump, denying clear reality.

I don't really care what the polls say. And Trump remains a terrible leader of an awful party and utterly unfit. Whether Biden is replaced or not, there will be a very large anti-Trump vote. But I see this as being about integrity and doing the right thing - Biden is too old, and not mentally capable enough to serve another term. (Arguably, he should resign now.) Pretending he is fit for office is unworthy of the Democratic Party, and the American public, regardless of his electability.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1372 on: June 29, 2024, 08:13:36 AM »

I'm not saying this to be rude...

But do you expect people to be happy with Biden's debate performance? Not all of us are willing to pretend everything is fine when it's clearly not. I don't think he's senile (though he appeared that way) but he's still mentally unfit and the stakes are way too high. We're on the verge of losing democracy to Republican treachery and Biden can't form a coherent sentence or thought at a crucial moment.

Biden vs Trump and TRUMP looks the most presidential?? Are you kidding me. His debate was that bad.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1373 on: June 29, 2024, 12:43:22 PM »

I don't think he's mentally unfit. I don't know abut 4 years from now though.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1374 on: June 29, 2024, 03:22:16 PM »

Thank god…

Yes, he did. And the reluctance to acknowledge that head-on is getting my hackles up. That was a terrible, awful, rock-botttom, no-good debate on Biden's part, and the refusal to acknowledge it in some circles reminds me of how Republicans treat convicted felon Donald Trump, denying clear reality.

I don't really care what the polls say. And Trump remains a terrible leader of an awful party and utterly unfit. Whether Biden is replaced or not, there will be a very large anti-Trump vote. But I see this as being about integrity and doing the right thing - Biden is too old, and not mentally capable enough to serve another term. (Arguably, he should resign now.) Pretending he is fit for office is unworthy of the Democratic Party, and the American public, regardless of his electability.

Yes! Thank you. I agree with every word. To be honest I think he should resign, although that almost guarantees Kamala the nomination for better or worse. I think it’s telling that you and our other European posters in parliamentary democracies seem most likely to agree with me. It’s understandably baffling to you how we could let  a leader so obviously unqualified stay in charge for long, when it would never happen in your countries.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies