This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:28:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 65188 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: May 30, 2024, 09:11:57 AM »

Turns out that Liz Truss has met with some.......*interesting* people recently. But who cares about all that when there is the Diane Abbott soap opera to witter on about?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1351 on: May 30, 2024, 09:17:32 AM »

Turns out that Liz Truss has met with some.......*interesting* people recently. But who cares about all that when there is the Diane Abbott soap opera to witter on about?

It's amazing how politicians do literally no vetting before appearing on random people's podcasts.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1352 on: May 30, 2024, 11:03:37 AM »

Sheesh, that’s not a good look…

If the Conservatives somehow find a way to avoid appointing a head-banger as leader, and end up with someone like Cleverly or Tugendhat - I’m starting to think they’ll copy the Starmer playbook and push Truss out to start a “we’ve changed the party” narrative.

She’s just too much of a loose cannon to keep on the backbenches, and it’s starting to look like she’s bedding in for the long-term…
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1353 on: May 31, 2024, 01:41:53 PM »

Parachuting a former SNP politician from Greater Glasgow into the middle of Berkshire, in a seat vulnerable to the Lib Dems would be *wild*.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1354 on: May 31, 2024, 01:46:33 PM »

Parachuting a former SNP politician from Greater Glasgow into the middle of Berkshire, in a seat vulnerable to the Lib Dems would be *wild*.

That's just a concession of defeat with additional steps.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1355 on: May 31, 2024, 04:11:18 PM »

False alarm - normality restored.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1356 on: June 01, 2024, 10:49:59 AM »

Aaron Bell announced his retirement yesterday, one that was not widely predicted. I think he was the first of the 2019 parliamentary intake to get the traditional warts and all "profile" from Private Eye.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1357 on: June 01, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »

Did they find dirt? I thought he was pretty clean - particularly compared to some of the guys in his intake. Best I can tell, the only colour in the reporting on Bell was his remarkable record of success on BBC quiz shows.

Anyway, his retirement was a bit of a shock. He was on the campaign trail and making positive noises about his future in politics less than 48 hours before he handed in his notice.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1358 on: June 01, 2024, 12:45:27 PM »

Did they find dirt? I thought he was pretty clean - particularly compared to some of the guys in his intake. Best I can tell, the only colour in the reporting on Bell was his remarkable record of success on BBC quiz shows.

Anyway, his retirement was a bit of a shock. He was on the campaign trail and making positive noises about his future in politics less than 48 hours before he handed in his notice.

One of his 'quiz' show successes was Deal or No Deal, on which he won £25,000 in 2006. That was exactly around the time when I was a regular viewer of it. Even if I didn't watch his own game, contestants were in the 'wings' (I'm probably now talking a foreign language to those who aren't familiar with DoND) for multiple weeks' worth of episodes so I would have seen him at that time.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1359 on: June 02, 2024, 03:13:18 AM »

One of his 'quiz' show successes was Deal or No Deal, on which he won £25,000 in 2006. That was exactly around the time when I was a regular viewer of it. Even if I didn't watch his own game, contestants were in the 'wings' (I'm probably now talking a foreign language to those who aren't familiar with DoND) for multiple weeks' worth of episodes so I would have seen him at that time.
Didn't know this and looked it and found the episode he was on. I realise now I remember him - being Irish and about 10, I found it weird the way Noel pronounced his name (it's pronounced Arron in Ireland). Also features the legendary Lucy, who was 50 shows waiting to get her chance in the chair - and proceeded to win £5. Must be one of the few contestants who went onto be famous for other things - the other well known one is Olly Murs (who won £10).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1360 on: June 02, 2024, 04:59:14 AM »

Didn't know this and looked it and found the episode he was on. I realise now I remember him - being Irish and about 10, I found it weird the way Noel pronounced his name (it's pronounced Arron in Ireland). Also features the legendary Lucy, who was 50 shows waiting to get her chance in the chair - and proceeded to win £5. Must be one of the few contestants who went onto be famous for other things - the other well known one is Olly Murs (who won £10).

Looking at him, he doesn't ring any Bells (sorry!). I certainly remember Lucy. DoND was something that I discovered pretty early on - maybe within the first couple of months of it in late 2005. Then it suddenly became kind of a cultural phenomenon in 2006 and had impressive viewing figures given its mid-afternoon timeslot and the fact that it was on a channel that most people don't instinctively tune into. What helped it was probably the timing - Richard Whiteley (long-time original host of Countdown and effectively the face of Channel 4) had passed away in the summer of 2005 and was replaced by Des Lynam (who was a good football presenter but not as good at presenting a game show). DoND filled something of a gap.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1361 on: June 02, 2024, 09:06:08 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2024, 05:08:42 PM by Torrain »

Huh - that's kinda fun. It's always surreal when you discover you've been aware of a politician in a previous life. I was a fan of Pete Wishart's career in Runrig long before I released he was now an MP.

In other news - the Tory selection in Thanet East is reportedly between a Truss SPAD, and Helen Harrison, Peter Bone's partner. Just getting grim out there (particularly given Craig Mackinlay was forced to step down by the election timing, against his wishes).

Edit: Harrison was selected.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1362 on: June 02, 2024, 10:00:09 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1363 on: June 02, 2024, 10:06:26 AM »

He's been obviously queasy ever since Partygate and I was a little surprised that he hadn't already announced that he was standing down. But now he has.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1364 on: June 02, 2024, 10:09:17 AM »

In other news - the Tory selection in Thanet East is reportedly between a Truss SPAD, and Helen Harrison, Peter Bone's partner. Just getting grim out there (particularly given Craig Mackinlay was forced to step down by the election timing, against his wishes).
If it’s any consolation, I don’t think who the Tory candidate is in East Thanet is going to matter long term…
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1365 on: June 02, 2024, 10:10:54 AM »

“Displaced” is doing a lot of work given most of these have clear successor seats, they just don’t want to stand in marginal seats.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1366 on: June 02, 2024, 01:46:43 PM »

From vague memory, I think it majored on his links with the gambling lobby. Though he is of course far from alone in that, regarding MPs from all political persuasions.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1367 on: June 03, 2024, 08:19:53 AM »

One last chance…
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1368 on: June 03, 2024, 11:52:52 AM »

Maximum bantz demands that he gets selected.......and then loses.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #1369 on: June 03, 2024, 12:51:43 PM »

McGuinness is one of a number of deeply stupid Tories, all from North London, who seem to have devoted their careers to embarrassing themselves on Twitter for attention. Ben Obese-Jecty, who whines that anyone who makes fun of his name is a racist, is another one of them; he's their candidate in Huntingdon.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1370 on: June 03, 2024, 01:11:42 PM »

McGuinness is one of a number of deeply stupid Tories, all from North London, who seem to have devoted their careers to embarrassing themselves on Twitter for attention.
IIRC he was one of the people claiming that a quiz show contestant was racist for having an octopus toy, and even after being told the show was filmed before Hamas’ attack he stood his ground and claimed it was too much on a coincidence.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1371 on: June 04, 2024, 03:35:30 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2024, 04:55:52 PM by Torrain »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1372 on: June 04, 2024, 04:23:35 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1373 on: June 04, 2024, 06:25:32 PM »

Poor Seb Payne can't even get selected to run to replace his biological father.

kyc0705

« Reply #1374 on: June 04, 2024, 06:33:38 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2024, 06:38:02 PM by kyc0705 »

Payne's selection efforts are one of the best electoral subplots anywhere right now. Just perfect background comedy.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies