COVID-19 Mega thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Mega thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72
Poll
Question: What will Coronavirus be best remembered for?
The people who got sick and died

The economy crashing

The shutdown of social life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 171

Author Topic: COVID-19 Mega thread  (Read 130643 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:40 AM »

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I am 99% sure I am voting Democratic this year.

Nothing in politics since Trump was elected has affected my life personally until this.

Same. I was on the edge of voting for Trump out of pure spite to the DNC, but definitely not. The man can’t handle a crisis. A crisis where a lot of people are going to lose their lives, Jobs, and 401ks.
The market will rebound, but unfortunately some will have to / really want to between now and then. Th9se that can't afford to wait for the market to retire WILL lose big chunks of their 401Ks, but not everybody, thank god.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1676 on: March 13, 2020, 12:32:26 AM »

CDC tested only 77 people this week; coronavirus testing slow around the nation
Despite insistent promises from the Trump administration, coronavirus testing in the United States appears to be proceeding with a marked lack of urgency. An examination of state and federal records by Yahoo News finds that American states are, on average, testing fewer than 100 people per day — while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had tested fewer than 100 people total in the first two days of this week.

Meanwhile, a single private lab is performing tests, according to a trade group representing such facilities. The administration has repeatedly said that private enterprise would play a critical role in making sure that all Americans who need a coronavirus test receive one
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1677 on: March 13, 2020, 12:33:48 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2020, 12:38:53 AM by We Live in Black and White »

Well, this is the end of the goddamn buck for me. I was going to vote third party for president out of total lack of faith in Biden and the total uselessness of my voting Democratic in Wyoming, but I refuse to do Donald Trump even that modicum of a service.

It's time to put this f**king government in quarantine.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1678 on: March 13, 2020, 12:34:28 AM »

Despite insistent promises from the Trump administration, coronavirus testing in the United States appears to be proceeding with a marked lack of urgency. An examination of state and federal records by Yahoo News finds that American states are, on average, testing fewer than 100 people per day — while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had tested fewer than 100 people total in the first two days of this week.

Meanwhile, a single private lab is performing tests, according to a trade group representing such facilities. The administration has repeatedly said that private enterprise would play a critical role in making sure that all Americans who need a coronavirus test receive one
Hey trumpanzees, are you tired of winning yet?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1679 on: March 13, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »

I thought we had abandoned the Don't Test Don't Tell policy, but I guess it is still going strong.

The good news is that even if we don't test at all, pretty quickly we will discover which are the biggest epicenters of domestic infection, because we will start reading reports of large #s of people with flulike symptoms and pneumonia overcrowding the ERs in those areas. Or maybe that is not good news. No, that doesn't really sound like good news. OK, so scratch that, there isn't any good news.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1680 on: March 13, 2020, 12:54:04 AM »

Ha! I rather like "trumpanzees", I hadn't heard it before. I think I'll stick with "trumptards" though, it more accurately reflects my deep disdain for his rabid supporters.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1681 on: March 13, 2020, 01:02:04 AM »

Ha! I rather like "trumpanzees", I hadn't heard it before. I think I'll stick with "trumptards" though, it more accurately reflects my deep disdain for his rabid supporters.
I prefer "trumptards" as well, but I understand that despite meaning no harm AT ALL to somebody with special needs, it is insensitive and will hurt feelings if I use words like "retard". Basically I'm trying not to use it anymore but I'm only able to abstain about 80% of the time so far.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1682 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:02 AM »

Doesn't sound like fun, potentially some permanent damage/long term effects of infection:

Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function and are left gasping for air while walking briskly, Hong Kong doctors find

Some patients who recovered from Covid-19 have suffered reduced lung function and now experience problems such as gasping for air when walking quickly, Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority has revealed. The city has so far recorded 131 confirmed cases of Covid-19, including three fatalities. Of them, 74 patients have been discharged while one probable coronavirus
case has also recovered.

Dr Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the authority’s Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, said doctors had already seen around a dozen discharged patients in follow-up appointments. Two to three were unable to do things as they had in the past. “They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly,” Tsang told a media briefing on Thursday. “Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30 per cent in lung function [after recovery].”

A review of lung scans of nine infected patients at Princess Margaret found patterns similar to frosted glass in all of them, suggesting there was organ damage. But Tsang said the long-term effect on recovered patients, such as whether they would develop pulmonary fibrosis, a condition where lung tissue hardened and the organ could not function properly, had yet to be ascertained.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1683 on: March 13, 2020, 02:13:38 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2020, 02:19:19 AM by Meclazine »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-13/canada-justin-trudeaus-wife-sophie-positive-coronavirus/12053618

Canada: Sophie Trudeau has tested positive.

Australia: Peter Dutton has tested positive.

I am feeling a bit queezy myself but due to stocks of reagent necessary for testing for COVID-19 being in short supply, the Western Australian government is saving tests for people who arrived from overseas in the last 14 days.

"Deputy chief health officer Robyn Lawrence said to be tested people must have travelled overseas in the past 14 days, and they will be required to bring evidence of that travel including boarding passes or similar."

(WA Today)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1684 on: March 13, 2020, 02:18:19 AM »

I want to emphasize "spread simply by breathing."

Actually, Michael Osterholm said the same thing on the recent Joe Rogan interview - that really the virus is spread mostly by breathing, and while it is good to wash your hands etc, that is not really the main thing and partly it is just something that we tell people because it makes people feel like they can do something, and it is better to tell people that they can do something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Another point from the UCSF expert panel --- expected fatalities in the USA:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/notes-from-ucsf-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-

What’s below are essentially direct quotes from the panelists. I bracketed the few things that are not quotes.

Top takeaways
    At this point, we are past containment. Containment is basically futile. Our containment efforts won’t reduce the number who get infected in the US.
    Now we’re just trying to slow the spread, to help healthcare providers deal with the demand peak. In other words, the goal of containment is to "flatten the curve", to lower the peak of the surge of demand that will hit healthcare providers. And to buy time, in hopes a drug can be developed.
    How many in the community already have the virus? No one knows.
    We are moving from containment to care.
    We in the US are currently where at where Italy was a week ago. We see nothing to say we will be substantially different.
    40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.
    [We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.] 
    The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.
    This assumes no drug is found effective and made available.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1685 on: March 13, 2020, 02:18:58 AM »

Gov. Whitmer of MI has closed all k-12 schools public and private until April 6

Ohio has closed all public schools for the next 3 weeks, starting Monday
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1686 on: March 13, 2020, 02:30:06 AM »

[We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.]  
I am NOT saying that Hillary would've contained coronavirus early enough to.prevent a MILLION Americans from dying. BUT with Trump's f__k up after f__k up after f__k up on this, and especially with his letting go of government pandemic experts and slashing funding to the CDC in 2018, Trump has guaranteed DIRECTLY by his choices that America has no chance of preventing those deaths.

Demanding that he step down is a bare minimum response to this. Comparing this loser to a clown is offensive as clowns are hard working Americans. Trump has solidified himself undisputably as a top 3 worst POTUS of all time, and he's well on his way to "undeniably the worst POTUS ever period".
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1687 on: March 13, 2020, 02:52:47 AM »

Out of the Queen, Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, if one of those 4 were to pass away, that would be one of the bigger memories.

Stock markets recover.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1688 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:07 AM »

Does anybody else find this thread gratuitous and gruesome?

Not to mention ghoulish, yes.

Seriously, it's one thing to soberly analyze population spreads and anticipated mortality rates, but quite another to enter a betting pool as to the number of deaths anticipated from an ongoing worldwide pandemic.

No worse than the typical Cold War discussion about it going hot.

Big difference. Speculation about the Cold War going hot was always 100% theoretical. Betting about the number of deaths from Coronavirus is an ongoing tragedy where people are dying from everyday and maybe more being infected.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1689 on: March 13, 2020, 02:56:56 AM »

Mr. Trump is pathetic. Beyond pathetic. As tragic as this pandemic is, and I wish every death could be avoided, it shows what happens if we elect an incompetent clown who doesn't give a damn about science, let alone being empathetic. We need a leader who can do the job, and Mr. Trump is uniquely unfit to do so. He lives in his own world. But a pandemic can't be tweeted away.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #1690 on: March 13, 2020, 02:56:56 AM »

Doesn't sound like fun, potentially some permanent damage/long term effects of infection:

Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function and are left gasping for air while walking briskly, Hong Kong doctors find

Some patients who recovered from Covid-19 have suffered reduced lung function and now experience problems such as gasping for air when walking quickly, Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority has revealed. The city has so far recorded 131 confirmed cases of Covid-19, including three fatalities. Of them, 74 patients have been discharged while one probable coronavirus
case has also recovered.

Dr Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the authority’s Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, said doctors had already seen around a dozen discharged patients in follow-up appointments. Two to three were unable to do things as they had in the past. “They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly,” Tsang told a media briefing on Thursday. “Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30 per cent in lung function [after recovery].”

A review of lung scans of nine infected patients at Princess Margaret found patterns similar to frosted glass in all of them, suggesting there was organ damage. But Tsang said the long-term effect on recovered patients, such as whether they would develop pulmonary fibrosis, a condition where lung tissue hardened and the organ could not function properly, had yet to be ascertained.

This is well-known when pneumonia is involved
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1691 on: March 13, 2020, 04:28:59 AM »

Likely over a million.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1692 on: March 13, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

I am NOT saying that Hillary would've contained coronavirus early enough to.prevent a MILLION Americans from dying. BUT with Trump's f__k up after f__k up after f__k up on this, and especially with his letting go of government pandemic experts and slashing funding to the CDC in 2018, Trump has guaranteed DIRECTLY by his choices that America has no chance of preventing those deaths.

Demanding that he step down is a bare minimum response to this. Comparing this loser to a clown is offensive as clowns are hard working Americans. Trump has solidified himself undisputably as a top 3 worst POTUS of all time, and he's well on his way to "undeniably the worst POTUS ever period".
I'm confused. Aren't you a Trump supporter?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1693 on: March 13, 2020, 05:22:20 AM »

the over reaction
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1694 on: March 13, 2020, 05:23:15 AM »

Sorry if this was already posted, but Trudeau's wife has officially tested positive for COVID-19. per npr.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1695 on: March 13, 2020, 05:28:46 AM »

I'm confused. Aren't you a Trump supporter?

No questions until AFTER the tour, Blueswan Tongue
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1696 on: March 13, 2020, 05:34:16 AM »

Well said, Bill Kristol.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1697 on: March 13, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »

Not the US, but Mount Everest officially "closed" -- climbing season, anyway.  

I would like to think there's a headline somewhere that reads: Yeti Goes Into Self-Quarantine, "I Feel Just Fine," Beast Tells Reporters
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1698 on: March 13, 2020, 06:08:53 AM »

Trump: It's all Obama's/Biden's/the CDC's fault.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1699 on: March 13, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »

Does anybody else find this thread gratuitous and gruesome?

Not to mention ghoulish, yes.

Seriously, it's one thing to soberly analyze population spreads and anticipated mortality rates, but quite another to enter a betting pool as to the number of deaths anticipated from an ongoing worldwide pandemic.

No worse than the typical Cold War discussion about it going hot.

Big difference. Speculation about the Cold War going hot was always 100% theoretical. Betting about the number of deaths from Coronavirus is an ongoing tragedy where people are dying from everyday and maybe more being infected.

Wouldn't have made a good actuary, but I understand.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies