Rahm Emanuel in 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:09:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rahm Emanuel in 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rahm Emanuel in 2016?  (Read 13651 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: November 15, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

Rahm definitely has greater ambitions- he wouldn't have abandoned his practical guarantee at House Leadership for nothing.

I just read David Plouffe's new book Audacity to Win, about the campaign trail, and he wrote that everyone considered Rahm to be the far greater than the other potential candidates for the Chief of Staff position. He even turned the offer down outright at first but was eventually convinced, after several weeks, to take up the job.

I could actually see Rahm holding the job for all eight years, just to continually build up the his connections and power as the middleman between the president and everyone else. Of course, I'm sure if he does want any other job, it's basically his.

Rahm is the sort of guy that I love to hate and hate to love, he has forceful methods yet can really get a job done. If I was in Obama's position I'd want Rahm as my Chief of Staff too.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »

Emanuel represents everything that's wrong with the Democratic Party today.

Really? How?

He believes in compulsory civilian service for people between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five.  The way I read the Constitution, such compulsory service would be a violation of the 13th Amendment:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

But this is the 21st Century afterall.  We have a "living Constitution," etc.  Maybe slavery isn't so bad, as long as the government does it.

Source? And also wouldn't the draft then be a violation of the 13th amendment?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies