Rahm Emanuel in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rahm Emanuel in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rahm Emanuel in 2016?  (Read 13552 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »

If he'd stayed in the House, he'd have been Speaker (Minority Leader) by 2021.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »

Emanuel represents everything that's wrong with the Democratic Party today.

Really? How?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

Rahm definitely has greater ambitions- he wouldn't have abandoned his practical guarantee at House Leadership for nothing.

I just read David Plouffe's new book Audacity to Win, about the campaign trail, and he wrote that everyone considered Rahm to be the far greater than the other potential candidates for the Chief of Staff position. He even turned the offer down outright at first but was eventually convinced, after several weeks, to take up the job.

I could actually see Rahm holding the job for all eight years, just to continually build up the his connections and power as the middleman between the president and everyone else. Of course, I'm sure if he does want any other job, it's basically his.

Rahm is the sort of guy that I love to hate and hate to love, he has forceful methods yet can really get a job done. If I was in Obama's position I'd want Rahm as my Chief of Staff too.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »

i think he'd be more effective to democrats going back to the house leadership when his tenure as CoS is up. he's a cut throat politician, but that could work against him in a general election.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:45 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2009, 02:20:53 AM by FallenMorgan »

Really? How?

He believes in compulsory civilian service for people between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five.  The way I read the Constitution, such compulsory service would be a violation of the 13th Amendment:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

But this is the 21st Century afterall.  We have a "living Constitution," etc.  Maybe slavery isn't so bad, as long as the government does it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »

Really? How?

He believes in compulsory civilian service for people between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five.  The way I read the Constitution, such compulsory service would be a violation of the 13th Amendment:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

But this is the 21st Century afterall.  We have a "living Constitution," etc.  Maybe slavery isn't so bad, as long as the government does it.

Source? And also wouldn't the draft then be a violation of the 13th amendment?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:47 PM »

Really? How?

Source? And also wouldn't the draft then be a violation of the 13th amendment?

Here.

If I had seventeen dollars I'd buy the book he says this in.

"It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service."
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 02:38:45 AM »

So I guess the Republicans would need to nominate Rove/Cheney to compete with Rahm?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 03:05:54 AM »

So I guess the Republicans would need to nominate Rove/Cheney to compete with Rahm?

Do you mean Dick Cheney?  Would he even be alive in 2016?  Assuming the Republicans don't win in 2012 and give him bionic implants and a Darth Vader suit.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »

Not a chance......he has too much unaccountable power now.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »

Since he's resigning at the end of the year to run for Mayor of Chicago, I think not. He's going to stick to his crack/ho empire in Chicago when he's Mayor. But who knows..........
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »

He'll make a push for VP.  He's too abrasive for a presidential campaign. He should probably run for Illinois Senator. His dad was in mossad so he has strong international ties to the mideast and that would help with the peace process. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »

Since he's resigning at the end of the year to run for Mayor of Chicago, I think not. He's going to stick to his crack/ho empire in Chicago when he's Mayor. But who knows..........

Rahm Emanuel isn't resigning this year. The article that said he was resigning was later proven to be wrong.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

He'll make a push for VP.  He's too abrasive for a presidential campaign. He should probably run for Illinois Senator. His dad was in mossad so he has strong international ties to the mideast and that would help with the peace process. 

I doubt Rahm wants to be VP. And I seriously doubt he would make a good Middle East peace broker because most Arabs hate the Mossad.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »

No - Rahm will likely remain an insider for future Democratic administrations, or possibly for future Illinois Democrats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »

He's never going to win a presidential nor vice presidential race.

Let's get real. He blowed his chances for the greatest advance he could have in his career, the Speaker of the House someday (or Minority Leader), by resigning his seat and fourth positon in the caucus.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

He just doesn't have the charisma for the national stage.
leatherface
Rookie
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »

Rahm Emanuel is on cue to make it to Chicago City Hall and depending how he does there, the next stop is the Senate and Quite possibly the Governorship. He would make an attractive V.P. choice in 2016, if the nominee is Mark Warner and not Hillary clinton. Of course if Hillary doesn't make the cut, then Emanuel could be very viable in either 2020 or 2024. He will figure big on the national stage in any case.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies