Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 130

Author Topic: Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again?  (Read 32083 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2005, 05:37:28 PM »

You said there'd be a Democratic landslide when you ran for reelection. I naturally assumed that meant you'd run as a Republican.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »

No, I will be a popular President, but Ill only be 38 when I run in 2024.. thats why there wont be a landslide until 2028.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »

I'd challenge you to debate him on that.  I think you're confusing Democrat and Liberal.  In that case, Zell Miller is not a liberal, but he most certainly is a Democrat.

Zell Miller is not a Democrat (even if he claims to be one); if one looks at his voting record, one can see that he is a far right-wing conservative, socially, economically, and foreign policy wise.  He once said that if he wasn't so old that he would have switched parties.  I just thank goodness that he retired this past year.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2005, 04:00:20 PM »

I'd challenge you to debate him on that.  I think you're confusing Democrat and Liberal.  In that case, Zell Miller is not a liberal, but he most certainly is a Democrat.

Zell Miller is not a Democrat (even if he claims to be one); if one looks at his voting record, one can see that he is a far right-wing conservative, socially, economically, and foreign policy wise.  He once said that if he wasn't so old that he would have switched parties.  I just thank goodness that he retired this past year.

Actually he is a true southern conservative. Something that is sadly missing from your party.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »

We really don't like to look at our party members as Southern or Northern.... we are just fine as Americans.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2005, 10:03:10 PM »

There is an old saying in politics...

Friends come and go.... but enemies accumulate

In a few more election cycyles the GOP will become old, and corupt and out of ideas, while during that time the Dems will find new faces and new ideas.

Out with the old, and in with the new Smiley

This is neither praise for the dems nor criticism of the GOP. it's just the way it is...

In 1994 the Dems got punted from the House because after 40 years they were just, well, old and tired and corrupt and the GOP had new Ideas and new faces...

Today the GOP is still rising towards the top of the wheel, but the wheel keps turning... and soon it goes the other way...

It's just the way it is..

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »

There is an old saying in politics...

Friends come and go.... but enemies accumulate

In a few more election cycyles the GOP will become old, and corupt and out of ideas, while during that time the Dems will find new faces and new ideas.

Out with the old, and in with the new Smiley

This is neither praise for the dems nor criticism of the GOP. it's just the way it is...

In 1994 the Dems got punted from the House because after 40 years they were just, well, old and tired and corrupt and the GOP had new Ideas and new faces...

Today the GOP is still rising towards the top of the wheel, but the wheel keps turning... and soon it goes the other way...

It's just the way it is..

In IL that process only took 8 years - from 1994 to 2002. Sometimes the wheel spins pretty fast.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2005, 10:15:04 PM »

And it looks like it's still spinning rather fast.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »

Running out of ideas? You kidding me? We haven't even struck down the whole New Deal yet!

The biggest threat to the new Republican majority is ourselves. If we forget who got us where we are, or tie ourselves to the status quo, will will lose Congress, and we will have no one but ourselves to blame.

I don't see any signs of yet, but it's something to look out for.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2005, 04:31:42 PM »

Running out of ideas? You kidding me? We haven't even struck down the whole New Deal yet!

The biggest threat to the new Republican majority is ourselves. If we forget who got us where we are, or tie ourselves to the status quo, will will lose Congress, and we will have no one but ourselves to blame.

I agree with all of this Philip. Striking down the New Deal and "Great" Society should be key goals of a Republican Congress and Whitehouse.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

You're about to see the most crushing defeat of an incumbent since 1980.

Republicans are gonna be speechless.

Priceless...priceless...

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2005, 05:25:33 PM »

I agree with all of this Philip. Striking down the New Deal and "Great" Society should be key goals of a Republican Congress and Whitehouse.

Don't you think there's just a slight possibility that impoverishing the bottom 80% of society to Depression-era levels could come back to haunt you?  After all, Americans voted Left once before - when they were desperate.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2005, 05:26:21 PM »

So was the bottom 80% of society impoverished in the Roaring 20s?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2005, 05:33:31 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2005, 06:32:43 AM by opebo »

So was the bottom 80% of society impoverished in the Roaring 20s?

Yes, certainly more so than they were in the 1945-1975 era.  So if your point is that people will put up with a shocking amount of poverty, I certainly agree - obvously they do now.  Of course that poverty reached a desperate level around 1930-31.  What makes you think it won't again?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

The poverty rate was nowhere near 80%, even during the darkest depths of the Great Depression.  In his 1936 SOTU speech, FDR pegged the poverty rate at 1/3.  While that is shockingly high, especially by today's standards, it doesn't begin to approach 80%. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2005, 08:48:50 PM »

The poverty rate was nowhere near 80%, even during the darkest depths of the Great Depression.  In his 1936 SOTU speech, FDR pegged the poverty rate at 1/3.  While that is shockingly high, especially by today's standards, it doesn't begin to approach 80%. 

Yes, the Great Depression has been way overblown by historians. The effects of the depression were very mild in the Pacific west, Northeast and parts of the midwest.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2005, 06:44:23 AM »

I never said that 80% of the population was poor, I said that 80% of the population was getting poorER due to Republican policies:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/ie1.html

Definitions of poverty differ, but there is no doubt that wages and incomes have been in decline for decades for all but the top 20%.  This has, as we all know, been masked by the move over the same time period from single-breadwinner households to two-breadwinner households.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2006, 06:03:55 PM »

Yes, though not anytime soon. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2006, 06:10:38 PM »

For a modern day election:

Warner/Bayh 518
Snowe/Chafee 20
Huckabee/Tancredo 0

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »

For a modern day election:

Warner/Bayh 518
Snowe/Chafee 20
Huckabee/Tancredo 0

The GOP ticket you have there would do far better than you give credit for, but only really in the Northeast.  Snowe would most definitely carry her own state, at the very least.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2006, 05:26:06 AM »

As a Warner/Bayh vs Tancredo/Huckabee (not Huckabee/Tancredo) map, though, it's pretty accurate.
Although I'd give the Dems Alaska. Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »

As a Warner/Bayh vs Tancredo/Huckabee (not Huckabee/Tancredo) map, though, it's pretty accurate.
Although I'd give the Dems Alaska. Tongue

Tancredo would not lose that badly, especially if the immigration debate heats up.  Against the right candidate he could win.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2006, 10:19:01 AM »

Well actually the unemployment rate was about about 25% at the height of the depression - and to call it overblown is kind of ridiculous - like all national issues it does affect different areas in differing ways.

Of course areas that relied on a mechanised workforce were hardest hit, or those that were at the mercy of the market - but some agricultural areas were not AS badly affected.

On the question.... It's a toughie as the population shift toward Republican areas has made it kind of difficult.

I would require a Bayh/Warner pres Candidate with someone from the South or SW as a STRONG VP.

That's when I lost respect for Reagan forever - when I heard him say "the continued integrity of our nation is the destruction of the great society".

Made me shudder. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »

I doubt either side will land-slide in at least a while. I think the parties have become too professional to allow themselves to lose their touch with the people to such an extent in the future.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »

Of course, although probably not any time soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies