Your religious beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:07:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your religious beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: What are they
Christian-Catholic

Christian-Mainline Protestant

Christian-Evangelical Protestant

Christian-other

Muslim-(specify)

Jewish

Agnostic

Atheist

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Your religious beliefs  (Read 8009 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:02 AM »

Atheist, formerly Catholic.

Until the Catholic Church in Rome quits being reactionary ultra-social conservatives and regressive on every single issue of importance, I have absolutely no intention of becoming Catholic again. Hell, I'd rather be Protestant (omg) or Buddhist, though Greco-Roman religion I find amusing.

In the 1900s, of course, I'd be shot in both Bretagne and Quebec for thinking of becoming Protestant.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2009, 09:41:40 AM by Fading Frodo »

Other: my attitude toward religion is very much Greco-Roman -I believe in God, and that all faiths (past and present) are legitimate paths for those trying to get in touch with the divine.  Whether they worship only one God, or worship many Gods is irrelevant, as all are manifestations of him (or her).

So, I guess I can describe myself as being closest to a henotheist (for lack of anything else that matches my beliefs) as I do not adhere to strict monotheism.  I have no qualms about giving my respect to the Gods of others, whether praying in a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a Shinto shrine, a Buddhist or Hindu temple, or a sacred grove.  All are sacred or holy ground. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:40 AM »

BTW, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Religion & Philosophy board?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »

Atheist.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

Other: my attitude toward religion is very much Greco-Roman -I believe in God, and that all faiths (past and present) are legitimate paths for those trying to get in touch with the divine.  Whether they worship only one God, or worship many Gods is irrelevant, as all are manifestations of him (or her).

So, I guess I can describe myself as being closest to a henotheist (for lack of anything else that matches my beliefs) as I do not adhere to strict monotheism.  I have no qualms about giving my respect to the Gods of others, whether praying in a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a Shinto shrine, a Buddhist or Hindu temple, or a sacred grove.  All are sacred or holy ground. 
Pantheist would be a better word.  What differentiates a henotheist from a monotheist, is that while both dedicate themselves to the one "true" God, for a henotheist, "true" (as opposed to "false") doesn't mean anything like existent, but rather more like pure or good.  Thus the early Hebrews, when they spoke against "false" idols weren't merely talking about imaginary conceptions of vain humanity but rather actual spiritual forces.  Later, when early Christianity was introduced into the Roman world, Jupiter and the rest of the pantheon were still recognized as active agents, but were condemned to being demons in the service of Satan.  The world really waits until Islam to witness true Monotheism, and the Catholics create their own version a few centuries later in the scholaticist revolution with their infinite conception of God.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »

This is the second forum I've been on where Liberals AND Atheists run for forum lol.

I'm obviously Jewish.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »

Christian - Greek Orthodox

I don't follow it too well, though.
Are you a convert?  This is something new that I recently heard about in the south, among other areas: formerly evangelical Christianians converting to Greek Orthodox.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »

Christian - Greek Orthodox

I don't follow it too well, though.
Are you a convert?  This is something new that I recently heard about in the south, among other areas: formerly evangelical Christianians converting to Greek Orthodox.

No. I'm a Greek-American. My grandparents came over on a boat in the 20s as kids. I was baptized as a baby in that church.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »

Greek and Serbian Orthodox
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »

Until the Catholic Church in Rome quits being reactionary ultra-social conservatives and regressive on every single issue of importance, I have absolutely no intention of becoming Catholic again. Hell, I'd rather be Protestant (omg) or Buddhist, though Greco-Roman religion I find amusing.

In the 1900s, of course, I'd be shot in both Bretagne and Quebec for thinking of becoming Protestant.

Just say you're atheist. If the shurch became liberal, you'd still be one.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Religion doesn't really play a role in my life, unless it's brought up by family. I was baptized as a Catholic, but I don't associate myself with anything.

I don't know if there's a God or anything, I've never seen it or any proof. But there are countless things that I've never seen that does exist, so.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »

Just say you're atheist. If the shurch became liberal, you'd still be one.

As it stands now, the UMP has a better chance of winning 60% of the vote in Ariege than the church has of becoming liberal.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »

Christian.  I checked Mainline Protestant.  But, as an Episcopalian, I tend to identify more with the Anglo-Catholic wing of the church as opposed to its Evangelical, Liberal or Charismatic wings. 

And also with you....
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »

Christian.  I checked Mainline Protestant.  But, as an Episcopalian, I tend to identify more with the Anglo-Catholic wing of the church as opposed to its Evangelical, Liberal or Charismatic wings. 

And also with you....

The Episcopalian church here is definitely part of the liberal wing.  They had a book club and they spent an awful lot of time reading about Islam.  Not to mention there are a lot of Episcopalians involved with the local DFL.

The conservative mainline churches here are the Presbyterian (average age about 94), and then the WELS Lutheran church and the LCMS Lutheran church.  The 14 or so ELCA Lutheran churches are moderate to liberal.

The prevalence of Catholics is really interesting to me, because they make up a much smaller portion of Christians here than elsewhere in the country.

This is "Loothern" territory.  And lest you be tempted by the communal wine, that's why we lootherns use Grape Koolaid for the blood a' Christ.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »

Christian-other
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »

Atheist, I suppose. I identify as atheist in any case, but I tend to draw on the same arguments as (philosophical) agnostics while concluding that they lead to atheism and not agnosticism. Non-spiritual.

I was born into a (very liberal) Presbyterian family, but my family is only borderline Christian these days.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2009, 03:57:05 PM by JSojourner »

Near atheist WASP, with next to nil "spirituality." I am a hard bitten lawyer type, who wants facts, evidence, and logic. I am hopelessly "linear" in that way.  It is hard wiring in my genes I think. I think I would be the same way, even if my parents had been JS's parents.

If parentage, previous pastors and siblings were the deciding factor in my religious upbringing, I should be a hardcore Atheist.  Or, to put it in picture form...

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »

And also with you....

The Episcopalian church here is definitely part of the liberal wing.  They had a book club and they spent an awful lot of time reading about Islam.  Not to mention there are a lot of Episcopalians involved with the local DFL.

The conservative mainline churches here are the Presbyterian (average age about 94), and then the WELS Lutheran church and the LCMS Lutheran church.  The 14 or so ELCA Lutheran churches are moderate to liberal.

The prevalence of Catholics is really interesting to me, because they make up a much smaller portion of Christians here than elsewhere in the country.

This is "Loothern" territory.  And lest you be tempted by the communal wine, that's why we lootherns use Grape Koolaid for the blood a' Christ.

Well,  I am a very liberal Episcopalian politically.  But on theological issues, I tend to be more Anglo-Cat.  And I am definitely Anglo-Catholic in my preferences regarding liturgy.  But I can worship quite comfortably in just about any Episcopalian or ELCA setting.

Around here, it's mostly Missouri Synod Lutheran.  Daughter attends an LCMS school and they have treated us like we are actual Christians.  But, from what I understand, this school is the exception. Other parents have told me the other LCMS schools here pretty much spend their time trying to convert the non-LCMS students.  Guess we chose well.  New Principal this year tho...so I am crossing my fingers.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

I don't hold religious beliefs. I identify as Agnostic.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »

Roman Catholic. I follow the rite but have serious issues with the Church, I could say I 'protest' against the Church...wait a minute...does that make me a......? Grin j/k
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »

Atheist
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »