Colorado GOP Senate Nom (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:07:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Colorado GOP Senate Nom (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you want to be the GOP's Nom in '10
Ryan Frazier

Ken Buck

Cleve Tidwell

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Colorado GOP Senate Nom  (Read 7232 times)
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« on: July 22, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »

Frazier, and I think he can and will beat Bennett.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »

Frazier's candidacy will be a true test of where the GOP stands in making a comeback. On paper, he should fit Colorado perfectly. He's strong on fiscal conservatism, moderate enough on social issues not to scare off moderates and independents. A couple friends i have out there love this guy, and I think there is a true Obama-like base of support he has or seems to have.

If the GOP doesn't nominate this guy, we don't deserve to gain any seats next year. His fundraising does worry me, however.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2009, 04:24:39 PM by auburntiger »

Frazier's candidacy will be a true test of where the GOP stands in making a comeback. On paper, he should fit Colorado perfectly. He's strong on fiscal conservatism, moderate enough on social issues not to scare off moderates and independents. A couple friends i have out there love this guy, and I think there is a true Obama-like base of support he has or seems to have.

If the GOP doesn't nominate this guy, we don't deserve to gain any seats next year. His fundraising does worry me, however.

The question is how does he win a GOP Primary??  In the post Owens era the CO GOP has gone off the deep end to the far right as moderates have fled the party in droves. 

Well, I guess if they don't want to win elections anymore, they'll keep nominating far right candidates. Then I have no sympathy.

It's really up to the CO GOP voters to see what kind of conservative they want. He won 60% in a straw poll taken back in March, so I don't think name recognition will be an issue. He's spoken at numerous Tea-party events as well, stressing American liberties and freedoms. When asked, he said he was for traditional marriage, but believed in benefits to same-sex couples. He's also a small business man and economically conservative, which will serve him well. One big name endorsement was the Western Colorado American Builders & Contractor's Association. All of that said, he's the only one in the field of candidates who could actually win back those moderate and independent voters who have run away from the GOP. I'm not sure how Colorado does primary voting, but these people may even vote for him in the primary as he is a likeable guy. The most obvious way he wins is forcing all the more conservative candidates to split their votes.

If he gets through the primary, I think he'll beat Bennett in the general. Ritter's not doing so hot either so maybe they'll both lose.
However, if he doesn't win the primary, he could run for governor in 2014. That actually may be a better position for him anyway considering how rare it is for senators to win presidential elections.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies