Colorado GOP Senate Nom
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:27:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Colorado GOP Senate Nom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you want to be the GOP's Nom in '10
Ryan Frazier

Ken Buck

Cleve Tidwell

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Colorado GOP Senate Nom  (Read 7172 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »

I say the national party will probably get behind the black guy since the Republicans are scraping the bottom of the barrel to add "diversity" to their party of old angry white men. (See Michael Steele). But then the question is whether or not the fringe conservatives who will vote in the GOP primary will want an African American to stand for THEIR WASP-dominated party. It's a slippery slope, my friend.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »

Supports the base on economic issues, contrary on social issues. More like your own Bob Casey, but without the gold-plated family name and a far thinner resume.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »

Supports the base on economic issues, contrary on social issues. More like your own Bob Casey, but without the gold-plated family name and a far thinner resume.

Yes but unlike Casey, not every politician needs to have a father that is both a legend and a god to many people in there state, without that Casey wouldn't have a resume at all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »

Yes but unlike Casey, not every politician needs to have a father that is both a legend and a god to many people in there state, without that Casey wouldn't have a resume at all.
Kinda expected someone to respond along these lines, though my money was on Phil. :-)

All arguably true, but it doesn't change that for a senate candidate's background 10 years as state auditor and state treasurer > x10 city councilman of largish city. Likewise, one can grouse all one wants about Bob Jr's nepotistic path to power but the fact is his family name was a plus running against Santorum, which is yet another asset Frazier lacks.

Not that I'm writing Frazier's chances over a year before the election. My point is the Obama comparison is rather superficial. Or shall we say, "skin deep"? ;-)
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2009, 04:24:39 PM by auburntiger »

Frazier's candidacy will be a true test of where the GOP stands in making a comeback. On paper, he should fit Colorado perfectly. He's strong on fiscal conservatism, moderate enough on social issues not to scare off moderates and independents. A couple friends i have out there love this guy, and I think there is a true Obama-like base of support he has or seems to have.

If the GOP doesn't nominate this guy, we don't deserve to gain any seats next year. His fundraising does worry me, however.

The question is how does he win a GOP Primary??  In the post Owens era the CO GOP has gone off the deep end to the far right as moderates have fled the party in droves. 

Well, I guess if they don't want to win elections anymore, they'll keep nominating far right candidates. Then I have no sympathy.

It's really up to the CO GOP voters to see what kind of conservative they want. He won 60% in a straw poll taken back in March, so I don't think name recognition will be an issue. He's spoken at numerous Tea-party events as well, stressing American liberties and freedoms. When asked, he said he was for traditional marriage, but believed in benefits to same-sex couples. He's also a small business man and economically conservative, which will serve him well. One big name endorsement was the Western Colorado American Builders & Contractor's Association. All of that said, he's the only one in the field of candidates who could actually win back those moderate and independent voters who have run away from the GOP. I'm not sure how Colorado does primary voting, but these people may even vote for him in the primary as he is a likeable guy. The most obvious way he wins is forcing all the more conservative candidates to split their votes.

If he gets through the primary, I think he'll beat Bennett in the general. Ritter's not doing so hot either so maybe they'll both lose.
However, if he doesn't win the primary, he could run for governor in 2014. That actually may be a better position for him anyway considering how rare it is for senators to win presidential elections.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »

Lunar's suspicion is that Bennet is some kind of sith lord ... how else could a moderately successful school superintendant and complete political newcomer end up being one of the best fundraisers, deter all Democratic challengers despite being a moderate hero, and prevent any actual competition on the GOP side to boot, although the latter could just be  interpreted as the ineptness of the CO GOP.

On the money issue alone, having a brother as editor-in-chief of a prominent magazine that lures bored liberal millionaires to your state each year for a festival of ideas must help with the connections.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »

I personally think both Ken Buck and Ryan Fraizer are strong candidates. Fraizer is more moderate and from the suburbs, while Buck seems very good when it comes to the budget, including the military budget, and how we have overextended our military. He even said that raising taxes would be preferable to the inflation and future debt this spending would incur. I don't know enough about  Tidwell to have an opinion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

Lunar's suspicion is that Bennet is some kind of sith lord ... how else could a moderately successful school superintendant and complete political newcomer end up being one of the best fundraisers, deter all Democratic challengers despite being a moderate hero, and prevent any actual competition on the GOP side to boot, although the latter could just be  interpreted as the ineptness of the CO GOP.

On the money issue alone, having a brother as editor-in-chief of a prominent magazine that lures bored liberal millionaires to your state each year for a festival of ideas must help with the connections.

that can explain some of the money, but not deterring Democratic challengers or the rest of the sith lord behavior
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »

that can explain some of the money, but not deterring Democratic challengers or the rest of the sith lord behavior

Why give up a safe House seat (in the cases of Reps. DeGette, Perlmutter, and Salazar) to roll the dice on a Senate bid?

I suppose there's also Andrew Romanoff, but he's young enough to wait for another opportunity to move to Washington.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 09:21:39 PM »

Is Beauprez still in it?

You can quote me on this, only Frazier really has the biography necessary to beat Bennet, who himself has an attractive biography [to Independents], a suspiciously insane fundraising operation for a school superattendent, and is positioning himself as the type of semi-moderate Democrat that appeals to Colorado.   Although I could see Tidwell winning as well if he drops his old man vibe and gets some mojo.  Unless Frazier finds some money, I'd lean towards Buck winning the primary, but this is all guesswork.

It's a significant mystery to me how Bennet has avoided obtaining any serious Democratic challengers, how this cat is raising so much dough, and the lack of serious GOP challengers...well..ok ig et the last.

Bob is out...Colorado hates him too much at the moment

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0809/Beauprez_looking_to_challenge_Bennet.html?showall

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »

I like Cleve Tidwell, but this race belongs to Ryan Frazier.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »

I like Buck because of his strong anti-debt views, but I'm not sure how strong he would be in a general election. Then again, Bennet is pretty unknown as well however he has a significant fundraising advantage so far.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies