Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:04:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 30974 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »

I would not. Don't count on my vote with such absurd regressive tax increases in this bill.

Honestly, fellow Senators, man up and raise income taxes, stop pussy-footing around the finance issue with ass-backwards revenue raising schemes.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »

I would not. Don't count on my vote with such absurd regressive tax increases in this bill.

Honestly, fellow Senators, man up and raise income taxes, stop pussy-footing around the finance issue with ass-backwards revenue raising schemes.

This has nothing to do with the finances, you fool. It has to do with discouraging the irresponsible use and consumption of products that can be damaging to ones health and thus increasing the burden on society and the overall cost of Health Care. Don't think that this won't be an issue with your precious public plan simply because its on the Taxpayers dime, in fact its because of that we should consider these measures.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »

I am pleased with the direction this bill is taking. I'll reiterate a few concerns however.

1. There needs to be a way to encourage quality over quantity. Computerizing records will help in that tests won't need to be repeated. Still, more should be done. As to what, I'm not sure.

2. Perhaps this belongs in a separate bill, but I think we need to somehow encourage healthy lifestyles. Getting people to exercise and eat healthier foods, sleep more, among other simple things can cut down on ER visits significantly, which could save lots of money down the road.

3. I realize the public insurance will help with this, but we need to get the insurance companies competing more.

4. Also, we need to ensure that businesses don't drop covering their employees over the public system, especially if their provided plan is superior.

5. I don't believe you've addressed discrimination against people for current, pre-existing, or past conditions. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm very pleased overall, though.

1. We are waiting on that

2. The only thing we could do on that is to raise the Tax on Tobacco, Alcohol, etc considerably like 50% taxation, however I doubt this Senate has a stomach for that option. I am sure there are other things we could do as well.

I can think of some things to do, but they're more of a regional responsibility, at least in my opinion. For example, government employed teams that work with GPs and pediatricians to ensure their patients are living healthy lives. The physician could refer the people to these teams, which could include a nutritionist, a psychologist, perhaps an exercise expert, among other things. This service would charge a modest fee, just enough to break even. Besides, they won't need fancy equipment or anything.

However, that seems like a regional thing to me. I plan on introducing something like this if/when I become governor.

I have a few other ideas, but again, they are regional things in my mind.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »

This has nothing to do with the finances, you fool. It has to do with discouraging the irresponsible use and consumption of products that can be damaging to ones health and thus increasing the burden on society and the overall cost of Health Care. Don't think that this won't be an issue with your precious public plan simply because its on the Taxpayers dime, in fact its because of that we should consider these measures.

We already have obscene taxes on those "undesirable" activities. If drinking and smoking hasn't been taxed and stigmatized to death by now, there's no sense in harming average Atlasians further. If this isn't about finances, then simply spend some money on an advertising campaign, or research on their harmful effects. There's no reason to hurt poor people, who are most of our smokers, and probably most of our drinkers.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »

We already have obscene taxes on those "undesirable" activities. If drinking and smoking hasn't been taxed and stigmatized to death by now, there's no sense in harming average Atlasians further. If this isn't about finances, then simply spend some money on an advertising campaign, or research on their harmful effects. There's no reason to hurt poor people, who are most of our smokers, and probably most of our drinkers.

Agreed. Another point, if your addicted to something, then I highly doubt a "sin tax" will deter you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

And besides that, I don't think the government should be telling people that they shouldn't smoke or drink beyond a reasonable point. And a 50% tax on those activities isn't very reasonable. With alcohol especially (though with cigarettes too to a certain degree) there aren't serious life-threatening health complications unless there is frequent unhealthy use. And if someone is an alcoholic, as the honorable Midwestern Lt. Governor pointed out, a sin tax isn't going to get them to quit.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »

We probably already have high tax rates on those things as we should. It seemed like you failed the grasp the whole reasoning behind the proposal in the first place by insinuating it was part the financing. I would argue that poor people are already harming themselves by being addicted to these things and so frankly that is not my concern. My concern is that we not subsidize the irresponsibility of a few on the backs of millions of responsible taxpayers.

Agreed. Another point, if your addicted to something, then I highly doubt a "sin tax" will deter you.

Addictions can indeed be broken you know if properly motivated.

It doesn't matter though. Lets move on.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »

I hereby open up a vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »

Aye

Regarding sin taxes, while it is true that we should attempt to reduce unhealthy living practices, obscene taxes aren't going to do it. If someone would like to propose a program to that end, that is another story.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

Abstain
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

I (finally) have some free time and will be working on some statistics. I'm going to start with a population of 307 Billion. What numbers are we looking for? I see one request for cost of the program. As far number of uninsured, I'm going to see if what previously passed legislation affects health care, and then modify the real number of uninsured based on any of those bills.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2009, 06:56:22 PM »

I (finally) have some free time and will be working on some statistics. I'm going to start with a population of 307 Billion. What numbers are we looking for? I see one request for cost of the program. As far number of uninsured, I'm going to see if what previously passed legislation affects health care, and then modify the real number of uninsured based on any of those bills.

In conjunction with cost, also how much of that cost the financing measures in the legislation will cover and how much is still missing (or how much over we are projected to be).

Some numbers on how many uninsured this bill will cover and how many will switch from private to the public option. Plus anything else you want to throw in.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »

Aye
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2009, 01:27:04 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »

aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »

Aye

With 7 Ayes, 0 Nays and 1 Abstention this amendment has passed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »

As of now there are no more amendments.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »

I've covered everything I wanted to. I would like to give the GM a little bit of time to provide us with some data, but I don't want that to drag this on for too much longer. If we don't get anything by Thursday I say that would be a good time to open a vote.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »

I appreciate everyone's involvement in amending this important legislation into a package that, I hope, will be acceptable to all parties.  I hope this bill can be passed without any further ado.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »

Kudos to all Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »

Is it possible for some brave soul to post the text of the legislation, after all amendments? Pretty please?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »

Is it possible for some brave soul to post the text of the legislation, after all amendments? Pretty please?

I two would like to see the current text.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »

I two would like to see the current text.

MJ has some issue with his internet if I'm not mistaken, so this may take a day for him to get to.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies