Vigo County, Indiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:47:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Vigo County, Indiana
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vigo County, Indiana  (Read 2812 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »

I searched and couldn't find an older topic, but all the Bellwether Counties and States listed here on the site are now all gone except for one: Vigo County, Indiana.  Keeping its streak alive at 48 years, with only two bad picks in the past 116 years.

Do you guys think Vigo will keep it going in 2012?

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »

Hmm...
I reserve the right to answer this question, since I live in the neighbooring county, and go to Terre Haute all the time...Wink
It depends. They have a Republican mayor (by 100 votes, in a crazy, lawsuit-filled election) but a Democrat city council. It's a college town, but a lot of it's students are probably more conservative, since many come from rural areas.
Obama made 2 trips to Terre Haute, McCain made none. If he would have made 2 trips to Vigo county, it would have been closer. And since I think the 2012 election WILL be closer than the 2008 election, and a close Republican primary could get the candidates campaigning in Indiana, as well as the fact Indiana will be a swing state, the Republican nominee will probably make a couple stops. And if he does spend time in Vigo County, (s)he will be rewarded with winning the county. I think Romney would be the most likely of the frontrunners of winning Vigo.
It comes down to how often each candidate visits Vigo County.
Over time, Obama probably will become less appealing to young voters. And as that happens, college towns will obviously shift Republican.
I think, Vigo County will narrowly vote for Obama in 2012, probably 50-48. Will it lose it's bellweather status? I don't know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies