Debate Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Debate Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Debate Discussion  (Read 7553 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2004, 09:10:41 PM »

Bush just got the "memorable moment" of the 2004 debates.  "I own a lumber company?  Need wood?"
Rococo4

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »

that patriot act question was a hatchet job
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2004, 09:11:48 PM »

Kerry is leaving me with a lot more questions than answers, but that's me.

"Need some wood?" LOL!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2004, 09:13:43 PM »

Dream on, Donovan, he's hitting Kerry on taxes.  That is dynamite.  Gibson keeps coming back on how Kerry will do all the spending and deficit reduction, three times; Kerry didn't give him an answer.

I am watching the Presidential Debate on C-Span 2. I don't know what you are watching. I don't think, He is a liberal, therefore he will raise your taxes 50000000000000000000000% is a valid argument in the minds of most Americans.

But maybe that is for you, not for me.

You must have been in the bathroom.  Kerry was asked to look directly into the camera and promise not to raise middle class taxes.  He did.

Then Gibson asked Kerry three times how he was going to pay for everything, and reduce the deficit.  No answer.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2004, 09:15:01 PM »

Kerry's answer is to raise taxes on the wealthy.  I know it probably doesn't add up, but at least it is somewhat of answer.  I don't know that Bush has said anything specific he is going to do to reduce the deficit.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »

Kerry's answer is to raise taxes on the wealthy.  I know it probably doesn't add up, but at least it is somewhat of answer.  I don't know that Bush has said anything specific he is going to do to reduce the deficit.

Grow the economy and limit spending.  Also not saying the numbers add up, but at least it is an answer.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »

But what spending is he going to cut?

Grow the economy and limit spending.  Also not saying the numbers add up, but at least it is an answer.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2004, 09:17:23 PM »

Bush keeps saying go back to his budget proposal which was submitted last year.  The information is there, but most Americans won't take the time to go and read it.  
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2004, 09:18:13 PM »

That was the funniest thing all night.  Everyone is going to remember that line, if they don't remember anything else.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2004, 09:18:58 PM »

But what spending is he going to cut?

No cutting, limiting growth.  Some call that a cut, but I have a dictionary to show them.  No specifics on what will be limited.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2004, 09:20:03 PM »

NEITHER ONE has really broken down their spending/deficit numbers.

This is not the forum to do it, anyway.

Bush looks really relaxed right now.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2004, 09:21:40 PM »

Bush has been, by far, the wittier of the two.  An important factor in the town hall style.

Bush looked unprepared for the stem cell research question.  Looked like he ad libbed that, and did a good job with it.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2004, 09:22:30 PM »

Dream on, Donovan, he's hitting Kerry on taxes.  That is dynamite.  Gibson keeps coming back on how Kerry will do all the spending and deficit reduction, three times; Kerry didn't give him an answer.

I am watching the Presidential Debate on C-Span 2. I don't know what you are watching. I don't think, He is a liberal, therefore he will raise your taxes 50000000000000000000000% is a valid argument in the minds of most Americans.

You must have been in the bathroom.  Kerry was asked to look directly into the camera and promise not to raise middle class taxes.  He did.

Then Gibson asked Kerry three times how he was going to pay for everything, and reduce the deficit.  No answer.

Yea, he did. By raising the taxes on those making $200,000 a year or more. He said only Bush, himslef, and the moderator would be the only ones in the room with a tax increase, everyone else would get a tax cut.  Pretty clear to me.
Rococo4

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2004, 09:24:12 PM »

dear god did Bush botch the Supreme Ct. question....Dred Scott.......his worst moment of the night
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2004, 09:24:57 PM »

Yea, he did. By raising the taxes on those making $200,000 a year or more. He said only Bush, himslef, and the moderator would be the only ones in the room with a tax increase, everyone else would get a tax cut.  Pretty clear to me.

Not to me, or Gibson.  That's a loss for Kerry, on that question.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2004, 09:25:55 PM »

Yes, but Gibson had said that the savings from rolling back the taxes on those over $200K would come well short, and wanted Kerry to explain the rest.  He didn't.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2004, 09:27:18 PM »

Wow, we beat a democrat on the issue of abortion.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2004, 09:28:31 PM »

dear god did Bush botch the Supreme Ct. question....Dred Scott.......his worst moment of the night

I think Bush is the only president in the last 100 years to mention slavery in his Inaguaration Address.  It's heartfelt.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »

OUCH!  That last question is the toughest of the night.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2004, 09:30:19 PM »

OUCH!  That last question is the toughest of the night.

The first gotchya of the night.  Charlie saved it for last.

Bush did a great job of twisting it to his advantage it.  Solid answer.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2004, 09:30:28 PM »

Bush really botched the Abortion Question.

I say this a tie. Bush gets a C on answers, A on style. or a B

Kerry gets an A on answers a C+ on style. for a B+

I think for all intents an purposes, we still don't know who is going to win the election.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2004, 09:30:43 PM »

Bush made a good cover on that question.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »

Wow, we beat a democrat on the issue of abortion.

Well, yeah, given that you agree with what Bush said and not what Kerry said.
Rococo4

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2004, 09:31:23 PM »

I think Bush is the only president in the last 100 years to mention slavery in his Inaguaration Address.  It's heartfelt.

fine but it wasnt a good answer to the question

Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Yes, but Gibson had said that the savings from rolling back the taxes on those over $200K would come well short, and wanted Kerry to explain the rest.  He didn't.

I think it is. the 1% of the nation amke more than 60% of the income.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies