Catholics whining about Stephen Harper (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Catholics whining about Stephen Harper (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholics whining about Stephen Harper  (Read 3351 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/722036

Never thought I'd defend Harper, but they guy didn't do anything wrong and everyone should shut up.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »

He should have refused, that's what I would've done.

As would've I, but regardless. He still didn't offend me one iota.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »

The way some Catholics view the Eucharist I'd argue is outright idolatry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »

The Catholic Church basically says:

-The Eucharist somehow becomes the actual Body and Blood of Christ.
-They can't explain how, you're just supposed to accept it as some fantastic mystery.
-That's why their church is so awesome, no other church has that.

Really the logic is circular, they basically say you should be Catholic because of something that makes no sense unless you accept Catholic authority to begin with. I consider the whole thing nonsense, so of course I view it as idolatry.

This would be like me saying that my apartment is the best apartment in the world because it's  magical apartment though I can't explain how. But because it is so magical my apartment rules and is superior to every other apartment in the world and if you dispute that, you are committing a grave sin by doubting the amazingness of my apartment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »

The Catholic Church basically says:

-The Eucharist somehow becomes the actual Body and Blood of Christ.
-They can't explain how, you're just supposed to accept it as some fantastic mystery.
-That's why their church is so awesome, no other church has that.

Really the logic is circular, they basically say you should be Catholic because of something that makes no sense unless you accept Catholic authority to begin with. I consider the whole thing nonsense, so of course I view it as idolatry.

This would be like me saying that my apartment is the best apartment in the world because it's  magical apartment though I can't explain how. But because it is so magical my apartment rules and is superior to every other apartment in the world and if you dispute that, you are committing a grave sin by doubting the amazingness of my apartment.

Oh, I pity your heresy.   To never know the fullness of Christ Jesus as the church fathers and companions of the lord did. To be bereft of a legitimate church and be led by 16th century invention.  Our church and the eastern churches have a strong foundation that is not based on a kings balls or protecting princely title.

Wink

More like "20th century invention loosely affiliated with a 16th century invention."

I know that under normal circumstances it's to be Catholic-only (like pretty much all denominations)

Very very false. The program I got the last time I went to church says "We practice open communion, all are welcome to Christ's table." And the vast majority of Protestant churches allow it to all baptized Christians at least, even if not everybody.

The way some Catholics view the Eucharist I'd argue is outright idolatry.
All (dogmatic) Catholics. Blasphemy as well as idolatry.

But honestly, all Christian churches look incredibly - hilariously, almost - blasphemous from a pure monotheist pov. For what it's worth.

How about the last one I went to? They don't even have an actual church building, just rent out a theater.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

I'm curious how this affects Phil's opinion of Harper. is he now against him?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

It is only for Catholics, but the priest was apparently trying not to embarrass Harper. That didn't work out.

Priests can give the Communion to someone who is not Catholic is some circumstances.

I'd still refuse.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »

It is only for Catholics, but the priest was apparently trying not to embarrass Harper. That didn't work out.

Priests can give the Communion to someone who is not Catholic is some circumstances.

I'd still refuse.
You aren't supposed to stand up and try taking it. If you do though, people will assume you're probably suddenly a Catholic now, and give it to you.

Right, but I'd never accept any communion or anything from a priest, since I don't consider any Catholic priests to have a legitimate job. It's much the same way I refuse to recognize the authority of the Pope, or even the office in fact. In my view there is no such thing as the office of Pope, there's just some joker wearing a silly hat who calls himself Pope and has convinced too many of this fact. It'd be like if I started calling myself the King of Minnesota and convinced others to do so as well. Still doesn't change the fact no such office exists. The office of the Pope exists but I don't consider it valid or legitimate, (maybe it's comparable to the President of South Ossetia.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

Haha. Crybaby Catholics whined so much about nothing. Figures though, they always whine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies