Norwegian Storting Election 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:58:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Norwegian Storting Election 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Norwegian Storting Election 2009  (Read 14641 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »

Labour, FrP, Conservatives, Centre, KrF.

Conservatives only won two affluent Oslo suburbs. KrF won two rural villages in the Bible Belt.

Labour, FrP and Centre won a bunch.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »

I suppose it's useful in parliamentary systems where the government depends on a majority.

Aside from that, I dislike "party discipline", as I connect the word with "party power". I prefer the way the U.S. Senate works in that regard.
You mean selfishly thinking about getting reelected and completely ignoring what might be best for the country Wink

I sure as hell wouldn't want party leaders shoving their agenda through the Senate with the power to penalize senators that don't play along.

Much better than having Senators running around exercising vastly outsized power relative to their constituency (even ignoring malapportionment) and extorting personal and local gains at the expense of the country. Weak party systems are cesspools of corruption and influence-peddling and the primary problem with the US's political structure.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »

I suppose it's useful in parliamentary systems where the government depends on a majority.

Aside from that, I dislike "party discipline", as I connect the word with "party power". I prefer the way the U.S. Senate works in that regard.
You mean selfishly thinking about getting reelected and completely ignoring what might be best for the country Wink

I sure as hell wouldn't want party leaders shoving their agenda through the Senate with the power to penalize senators that don't play along.

Much better than having Senators running around exercising vastly outsized power relative to their constituency (even ignoring malapportionment) and extorting personal and local gains at the expense of the country. Weak party systems are cesspools of corruption and influence-peddling and the primary problem with the US's political structure.

Yeah the Senate is certainly unfair in the way the seats are distributed. Max Baucus should never have the influence he currently has.

Still....one of the things that gets criticized here in Germany is the excessive influence of parties, the Parteienstaat.

I suppose some of that could be solved by switching from MMP to STV. At present important party members are nominated in districts and are on the party list, to make sure they'll get in no matter what.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

Some numbers fun:

Distribution of the 150 direct seats:
AP 64, SV 6, SP 9, V 2, KrF 5, H 27, FRP 37
Note the overrepresentation of rural areas and the resulting highered SP take.

Distribution of seats if 169 seats were nationally distributed without a threshold:
R 2, AP 61, SV 11, SP 11, KrF 9, V 7, H 29, FRP 39
No majority for either camp!
Note that I didn't see a detailed breakdown of minors. If one party among them took about a third or more of the "other" vote, it wins one seat. And I forgot to jot down at whose expense. Alternatively, imagine a threshold of 1%.
With a four percent threshold:
AP 64, SV 11, SP 11, KrF 10, H 31, FRP 42
86-83, just as really happened.

Obviously, V gets to keep its two seats, so this really was recalculated for 167 seats:
AP 63, SV 11, SP 11, KrF 10, H 31, FRP 41
Except that AP gets to keep its 64th seat anyways too:
SV 11, SP 11, KrF 10, H 30, FRP 41
For net equalization mandates of:
SV 5, SP 2, KrF 5, H 3, FRP 4
I don't speak enough Norwegian to fully grasp their description of how these are distributed to the provinces. Provincial party lists are ordered somehow, and then granted seats from highest preference downwards except that every province gets only one seat and thus a list among the top 19 but below another party's list from that province is ignored etc. This much is pretty obvious, but ordered by what, exactly?

Anyways, parties that would win the next seat in each province if that province just had one seat more and the second distribution didn't exist (as before the election system was last tampered with):
R 1, AP 2, SV 1, SP 3, V 1, KrF 1, H 7, FRP 3
National tally in that case:
R 1, AP 66, SV 7, SP 12, V 3, KrF 6, H 34, FRP 40
Smallest possible majority. Note that AP is overrepresented because such a system would benefit large parties, and SP and to a lesser extent H because of their rural base. Also note that both R and V were actually hurt by the equalization mandates. Grin

And a final one. Seat distribution with the same system as right now except without the threshold (or with a 1% threshold.) AP gets to keep its surplus mandates now...
R 2, AP 64, SV 10, SP 10, KrF 9, V 7, H 29, FRP 38
For equalizing mandates of:
R 2, SV 4, SP 1, KrF 4, V 5, H 2, FRP 1
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 05:17:40 PM by freek »

Note that I didn't see a detailed breakdown of minors. If one party among them took about a third or more of the "other" vote, it wins one seat.

http://www.regjeringen.no/krd/html/valg2009/bs5.html. A government web site which lists results for every party. % counted = 99.9%, because "a few votes" from Kautokeino (Finnmark) still have to be counted. I assume some ballots were eaten by a reindeer.

Largest minor parties:

Red: 36211 votes
PiratePensioners: 11897
Greens 9287
Coast 5343
Christian Unity 4901
Democrats 2290
11 parties with <700 votes (total 2450 votes)
Jens
Angola

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »

Note that I didn't see a detailed breakdown of minors. If one party among them took about a third or more of the "other" vote, it wins one seat.

http://www.regjeringen.no/krd/html/valg2009/bs5.html. A government web site which lists results for every party. % counted = 99.9%, because "a few votes" from Kautokeino (Finnmark) still have to be counted. I assume some ballots were eaten by a reindeer.

Largest minor parties:

Pirate: 11897
Greens 9287
Coast 5343
Christian Unity 4901
Democrats 2290
PP is Pensioners Party, not Pirates Wink NKP (the Commies) only got 693 votes. I bet they all know each other Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »

Largest minor parties:

Damn. That would be enough for one seat. Which Progress would lose. Didn't check the bottom system, but the Pensioners'd be in under that as well.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

Coastal Party really got owned badly in Karlsøy (4.1%) and Skjervøy (10.1%), their fief. They got 36% and 38.6% respectively in 2005.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »

Coastal Party really got owned badly in Karlsøy (4.1%) and Skjervøy (10.1%), their fief. They got 36% and 38.6% respectively in 2005.
New and not that popular candidates - and loads of internal disputes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

So they imploded after losing their seat. Not exactly surprising.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »

So they imploded after losing their seat. Not exactly surprising.
Especially since the front man and ex-MP left the party
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

Largest minor parties:

Greens 9287
Coast 5343
Christian Unity 4901
Democrats 2290
PP is Pensioners Party, not Pirates Wink

Grin Oops.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

Weak party systems are cesspools of corruption and influence-peddling.

I don't know; I'd much prefer Bangladesh have a weak party system.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

Amusingly enough, I uploaded this within five minutes of Hashemite uploading his maps of the same election Grin
Happily, the keys are very different.

Btw, second map is a leading etc map - the incumbent government parties v FrP, H and KrF.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

Borough results for Oslo. Keys are the same as normal but with extensions (with the exception of KrF - the 5% key stands for 3%). Extensions are for H (darkest shade = over 35%, the other new shade is between 30 and 35%), FrP (lightest shade = below 15%), SV (darkest shade = over 15%), V (darkest shade = over 8%) and R (two shades just for amusement one over 6%, one over 8%).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »

SV's areas are ex-working class yuppie/urbane inner city areas with more immigrants. That southern ward has, according to wiki, the youngest population in Oslo and also 40% of immigrants.

Conservative best areas are ultra-wealthy suburbia-type areas. Labour's best areas appear to be mostly poorer suburbia with lots of social housing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »

Largest minor parties:

Greens 9287
Coast 5343
Christian Unity 4901
Democrats 2290
PP is Pensioners Party, not Pirates Wink

Grin Oops.
Eh, same diff. Grin

SV's areas are ex-working class yuppie/urbane inner city areas with more immigrants. That southern ward has, according to wiki, the youngest population in Oslo and also 40% of immigrants.

Conservative best areas are ultra-wealthy suburbia-type areas. Labour's best areas appear to be mostly poorer suburbia with lots of social housing.
*is not remotely surprised, wants national muncipal map*
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »

I meant an Alstyle series of maps, of course.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies