DWTL is Running for Something
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:38:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DWTL is Running for Something
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: DWTL is Running for Something  (Read 5582 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »

I agree with Franzl. I find the idea of a Council of Governors abhorrent (Governors alread have a role; as governors) but should one be introduced, regional Senators would have to be abolished.

Well I don't oppose the CoG per se. The role of governor today is largely irrelevant...and personally, I wouldn't have any interest in becoming Governor.

And if we truly went to an entirely at-large Senate, that'd contribute to making Senate elections more interesting, and also add an interesting element to the game by having legislation pass through two hurdles.

My concern would be having a CoG above the Senate. I would prefer a lower house passing bills up.

Make them equal in powers.

I certainly don't think they should be equal in power. Very few bicameral systems internationally have houses with equal power; they have different powers and responsibilities. Any set-up we have should be the same.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 07:07:28 PM »

I also wouldn't mind a bi-cameral system in which the regional governors...or people that they nominate...form an "upper house" of some sort.

The prospect of an appointed house of legislature sounds intriguing. It would make the Governorships much more important, though it would also allow for incompetent legislators being appointed due to party politics.

Maybe every two months the citizens of that region could vote in an up-or-down referendum on the appointed legislator; getting more downs than ups would require the Governor to appoint a replacement.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »

I agree with Franzl. I find the idea of a Council of Governors abhorrent (Governors alread have a role; as governors) but should one be introduced, regional Senators would have to be abolished.

Well I don't oppose the CoG per se. The role of governor today is largely irrelevant...and personally, I wouldn't have any interest in becoming Governor.

And if we truly went to an entirely at-large Senate, that'd contribute to making Senate elections more interesting, and also add an interesting element to the game by having legislation pass through two hurdles.

My concern would be having a CoG above the Senate. I would prefer a lower house passing bills up.

Make them equal in powers.

I certainly don't think they should be equal in power. Very few bicameral systems internationally have houses with equal power; they have different powers and responsibilities. Any set-up we have should be the same.

Indeed. The main argument against universalism in the Convention was basically that you had two identical houses, with the universal one most likely being smaller, offering no incentive to move to the non-universal one.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 07:12:57 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I also wouldn't mind a bi-cameral system in which the regional governors...or people that they nominate...form an "upper house" of some sort.

The prospect of an appointed house of legislature sounds intriguing. It would make the Governorships much more important, though it would also allow for incompetent legislators being appointed due to party politics.

Maybe every two months the citizens of that region could vote in an up-or-down referendum on the appointed legislator; getting more downs than ups would require the Governor to appoint a replacement.

If you were to change the Regional Senators into a setup like this I would be able to support that. You could also have a way to get the Regional Assemblies involved. Like have the Governor Appoint, The Assembly confirm, and finally every two months give the citizens an up or down refrendum on the legislator.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »

It seems ironic that DWTL, one of the founders of the Regional Protection Party, supports reducing the number of regions.

I of course oppose that proposal and this Council of Governors idea.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »

It seems ironic that DWTL, one of the founders of the Regional Protection Party, supports reducing the number of regions.

I want to protect the regions, but I don't see where adding a CoG at the expense of combining a few regions with a vote of their approval is a big deal.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »

I want to protect the regions, but I don't see where adding a CoG at the expense of combining a few regions with a vote of their approval is a big deal.

Untill you just proposed here, the idea of reducing the regions was almost dead. What procedure shall they be combined. Are you going to use the Federal Government to force regions to be combined against there will?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »

No, I believe the plan that had been discussed before was to allow regions to vote which states they would absorb
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »

No, I believe the plan that had been discussed before was to allow regions to vote which states they would absorb

You should serious read up on the latest proposals. The last proposal was to force combine the regions with the federal. Hell the Constitutional convention even attempted to not even included them in one of the proposals. I suggest you read through the posts in Purple State's "Thoughts from You PO" thread under the Constituional Convention board.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »

Well, I must say that is disheartening if the anti-regionalists have gotten that much power during my LoA.  Looks like its that much more important I come back Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »

Well, I must say that is disheartening if the anti-regionalists have gotten that much power during my LoA.  Looks like its that much more important I come back Smiley

If anything your absence embolded them. Come on lets get this done before he gets back Cheesy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »

I am still chair of the RPP correct?  Time to rev the old machine back up and show we won't stand for this
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

Wouldn't any anti-region Constitution be stopped when the Dirty South and another region fails to vote for it?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

Wouldn't any anti-region Constitution be stopped when the Dirty South and another region fails to vote for it?
Of course, but the Dirty South is the only sure-fire region to stop it.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

Before considering altering the regions or the federal legislative branch, one must consider the population. Does the population at this time warrant an expanded legislative branch? Probably not. Does the population at this time warrant less regions? Maybe, though if the current increase in voters holds, then there is no point in doing so any more as it should have been done when the population was much lower.

I do like the idea that was proposed in this thread (and has some similarities to the U.S. pre-17th amendment) of having an elected body and a body appointed by the regional government. But if we expand too much, we're less likely to have competitive elections and there even exist the possibility of no one / not enough people running for something.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »

Before considering altering the regions or the federal legislative branch, one must consider the population. Does the population at this time warrant an expanded legislative branch? Probably not. Does the population at this time warrant less regions? Maybe, though if the current increase in voters holds, then there is no point in doing so any more as it should have been done when the population was much lower.

I do like the idea that was proposed in this thread (and has some similarities to the U.S. pre-17th amendment) of having an elected body and a body appointed by the regional government. But if we expand too much, we're less likely to have competitive elections and there even exist the possibility of no one / not enough people running for something.

I remember my first campaign platform back in April 2007 was to amend the Constitution allow allow the Governors to appoint regional Senators.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The office of Fmr. Sen. DownWithTheLeft would like to confirm at this time that the former senator is a candidate for the at-large seat being vacated by incoming VP BaconKing.  The former senator has cited a recent spike in anti-regions activity as well as the resignation of Gov. Duke, whom he considers one of his closest ally in Atlasia, as reasons for coming back.  He welcomes the support of all those wishing to return Atlasia to prosperity.  An official campaign kick-off can be expected later this week.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The office of Fmr. Sen. DownWithTheLeft would like to confirm at this time that the former senator is a candidate for the at-large seat being vacated by incoming VP BaconKing.  The former senator has cited a recent spike in anti-regions activity as well as the resignation of Gov. Duke, whom he considers one of his closest ally in Atlasia, as reasons for coming back.  He welcomes the support of all those wishing to return Atlasia to prosperity.  An official campaign kick-off can be expected later this week.

Explain?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Explain?
I have been informed that the ConCon is seeking to eliminate regions
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

I don't recall any offices being added at the federal level. if Regional Senate seats are to be appointed we are still at 5 at Large Senator and 5 Regional Senators. Whether or not they are two separate legislative bodies, doesn't really matter to me. The only new offices would be at the Regional level if assemblies are created but they can easily axe Regional positions(Lt. Gov and Judicial) to get it done, though I would prefer not to do that, I will compromise on that.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Explain?

A few delegates, yes. But not a majority. Or atleast not enough to warrant your ringing alarm bells.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

Do you think I honestly read that board yet?  I just wanted a talking point Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Explain?

It's been up for discussion...in the same way that it has been up for discussion for the past few months when you were here and part of the Convention Smiley Nothing has changed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 07:58:31 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Do you think I honestly read that board yet?  I just wanted a talking point Smiley

As I said read the thread created by Purple State at least.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=98178.0
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »

Oh DWTL, fanatical as always. There has been no spike in anti-regionalist activity. I remain someone who is adamantly opposed to eliminating regions or regional senate seats, and there are plenty others. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies