Budget question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Budget question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Budget question  (Read 1013 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2004, 08:56:55 PM »

Beef, we only have $6 billion dollars in spending on actual Atlasian government....lets pretend for government purposes 1 registered voters = half a million taxpayers...we would have 65 million taxpayers...what would be our income around that?

Going on the assumption that we have, more or less, 250 million taxpayers in the USA, that would mean that all Atlasian revenues and expenditures, on the federal level, should equal roughly 1/4 of the USA level.  Meaning we should be dealing with about a $500B budget.  Or am I totally off here?  How do we get $6 billion?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 09:03:17 PM »

I'm under the impression that we are operating with the situation the US had as of the day Nym90 became President.  That means that the budget is exactly what it is IRL except with a few billion in new spending here and there.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

I'm under the impression that we are operating with the situation the US had as of the day Nym90 became President.  That means that the budget is exactly what it is IRL except with a few billion in new spending here and there.

If that be the case, I do have a plan:

1. Roll back Bush tax cuts on incomes over $100K
2. Excempt S-Corp income from tax cut rollbacks (might require overhaul of tax code and redef of S-Corp).
3. Raise SS retirment age to 70.

This should be adequate to balance if we don't raise defense spending.  If we lower defense spending, we can make more of the Bush cuts permanent (to appease the AFRNC), and raise spending on education (to appease the Left).

Personally, I would like to see a substantial increase in education.  It's such a tiny percentage of the budget, we can afford to increase it by, say, 50%, without much impact on the whole budget.  This would reap enormous political capital.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 03:10:36 PM »

2. Excempt S-Corp income from tax cut rollbacks (might require overhaul of tax code and redef of S-Corp).

This should be adequate to balance if we don't raise defense spending.  If we lower defense spending, we can make more of the Bush cuts permanent (to appease the AFRNC), and raise spending on education (to appease the Left).

Personally, I would like to see a substantial increase in education.  It's such a tiny percentage of the budget, we can afford to increase it by, say, 50%, without much impact on the whole budget.  This would reap enormous political capital.

Change the repeal of the tax cuts to 250K at least.   100K is middle class.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 04:25:56 PM »

The phrase middle class is the most vague term in American politics.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 11:23:44 PM »

If the numbers work out...  We want to raise revenues while being fair and causing the least amount of burden possible.  We may get the revenues we need if we only repeal for 250K up.  But will we have a tax structure that penalizes too heavily for being successful?  The larger the range, the more people there are to share this burden.

Perhaps we progressively repeal, starting with 100K paying just a bit more tax, all the way up to 250K+ paying full pre-bush levels.

I think we need to do something about the S-Corps, though.  I do not want the tax cuts repealed on them.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 11:38:18 PM »

Perhaps the income tax cuts could be partially preserved if we raised the Cap Gains and Dividend taxes to 20% each.  This would still leave us with a lower dividend tax than when Bush took office, and the same cap gains rate.  My preference is obviously no tax increases, and I think any suggestion to the contrary is certifiably insane, but it looks like a decision has been made, so I'll just try to have my input make this less destructive than it otherwise would be.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 03:59:14 AM »

capital gains should be as low as possible, imho; and I think we should wait until after the election before we go ahead with all this because we all have very different tax plans, least of all mine-the GST and cuts to tax for small businesses.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies