A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:50:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE  (Read 54575 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« on: July 02, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »

I do not quite get the idea behind this "Council of Governors". It almost seems as though it would be the Atlasian equivalent of the NGA.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

I do not quite get the idea behind this "Council of Governors". It almost seems as though it would be the Atlasian equivalent of the NGA.

Basically it will combine the role of Governor and Senator and create a Second chamber with five people in it that can pass or kill legislation passed by the 5 At-large Senators. The Regional Senate seats would be removed.

I oppose that idea, of course.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »

If they're kept, regions should be redrawn once and left alone for a while. Regions are not congressional districts.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »

Why does this Council of Governors idea seem to pop up from time to time? I genuinely cannot think of anything more grotesque than 'doubling' up offices and effectively abolishing 5 senators/offices to impliment it. 

The explanation offered by NCYankee makes it seem like it would allow dual office holding (even if there is only one office de jure). That is part of the reason why the idea has my opposition.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

Why does this Council of Governors idea seem to pop up from time to time? I genuinely cannot think of anything more grotesque than 'doubling' up offices and effectively abolishing 5 senators/offices to impliment it. 

The explanation offered by NCYankee makes it seem like it would allow dual office holding (even if there is only one office de jure). That is part of the reason why the idea has my opposition.

Its not dual office holding, its one office with the power of both Governor and Senator and as part of the plan Regional Senate seats would be abolished, sorry if I wasn't clear.

But it would de facto be the same as if the two offices remained separate and the same person held both positions.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2009, 11:57:45 PM by SayNoToRomney »

Hashemite is right. Regions are not congressional districts to be redrawn.

Now, Fritz is right that this is a game. But he is also right that it was meant to simulate reality.

Leaving the regions as they are is the reality part. And this may be a game, but that does not mean that modifying the regions is a good idea.

By the way, it seems as though something similar to redrawing the regions was already tried in the past, through "districts" used for one half of the Senate seats. It was discarded, and it seems that redrawing the regions would be quite similar to redrawing the districts.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:31 PM »

In response to the preceding post.

I agree on leaving regional senate seats alone and creating another chamber for a bicemeral legislature. It should use districts as in real life (see "Regarding the House of Representatives" here). I am undecided on the role of the SoFA though. I also agree on leaving the regions themselves alone.

I strongly disagree with your third paragraph though.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »

In response to the preceding post.

I agree on leaving regional senate seats alone and creating another chamber for a bicemeral legislature. It should use districts as in real life (see "Regarding the House of Representatives" here). I am undecided on the role of the SoFA though. I also agree on leaving the regions themselves alone.

I strongly disagree with your third paragraph though.

The role of the SoFA would be no different than it is now, except he would: a) determine the number of citizens in each region and then b) determine what number of reps each region receives based on its citizenry.

The third paragraph is the only thing to ensure that we have regional reform.

Ah, I thought that you meant that the SoFA would do the actual reapportionment (as in redistricting).

As to the third paragraph, I see no region why the lower house should be limited to those who already hold office, and I do not see the "reform" in that.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »

My proposal (and no, its not a carbon copy of my previous proposal, read carefully):

The following shall be included in Article I as Section 2: The House, with subsequent sections renumbered accordingly:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article I, Section 5 shall hereby be renumbered Section 4 and read as follows:

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed repealed. (undecided)

Article IV shall hereby read as follows:

Some of my disagreements with Purple State's proposals are major, some are minor, and some are just fixing errors.

You also forgot amending the very first sentence of the article, which should read, "All Legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia, which shall be composed of two chambers, the Senate and the House of Representatives, which may also be referred to as the House." (and similarly replacing "the Senate" with "Congress" elsewhere in the article as necessary).
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »

Such a proposal, I have considered already, amd I would dub it Americanizaton. I would love to have that system in place today. However the electorate isn't ready for "enlightened ideas" though. Someday my friend, someday. Wink 

That nickname does not surprise me, and it is pleasing to have someone in agreement with my ideas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies