A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: A few thoughts from your PO; AMENDMENTS AT VOTE  (Read 53793 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2009, 01:03:40 AM »

For me, a CoG and an at-large 10 seats Senate is an good compromise.

^^^^

It may not cut Regional power, but it does cut regional influence, especially if the CoG can only vote and not propose legislation.

I could not care less about regional power or influence or whatever. Most of the regions are dead, and nothing we've done has been able to revitalize them. People talk about giving the regions more power; have you read the constitution? They already have plenty of power! They've always had! But no one cares, they're not active, they're dead. Even the Regional Protection Party, in control of the entire Southeast, has done nothing besides changing the name of the region. So if you want to grandstand about regional influence or whatever, be my guest, I don't care. I just want fun, competitive and interesting elections, something that regional senate elections are not, as been proven time after time after time.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »

@NC Yank: Good to hear.

@Officepark: The reform I mention is that the plan would spur changes in the regions. For example, by requiring that members of the lower house come from elected positions in the regions, it automatically forces regions to create certain elected positions (such as a legislature). For those that maintain an initiative style of government, it would give the Lt. Gov. something to do.

@Lief/MaxQue: What are your thoughts on my idea? It involves no CoG and would promote interesting, varied ways in which each region elects and chooses its representatives in the lower house. That could help spur some regional activity, reforms, etc. It also doesn't increase the number of elected positions, but does increase competition for these new, exclusive seats.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »

^^^^

It may not cut Regional power, but it does cut regional influence, especially if the CoG can only vote and not propose legislation.

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

If you have regional influence, I want special influence for right-handed people.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

If you have regional influence, I want special influence for right-handed people.

How many babies have you eaten today, Xahar? What happened to your Revolution, you didn't give me a chance to fire my wiff of grapeshot. Sad.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »

Are we going to attempt to compromise or what?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2009, 07:59:09 AM »

I'll try to write something up tonight after work. You can all try to work something out on your own in the meantime. Does anyone want to answer my earlier call and tell me what you're willing to give up? Or is everyone staunchly opposed to any variation of what they envision?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

I'll try to write something up tonight after work. You can all try to work something out on your own in the meantime. Does anyone want to answer my earlier call and tell me what you're willing to give up? Or is everyone staunchly opposed to any variation of what they envision?

As I said before I am willing to cave on the Lt. Govs, the CJO's, the Assemblies in one or two regions and one region(4 regions is my minimum). 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

How many babies have you eaten today, Xahar? What happened to your Revolution, you didn't give me a chance to fire my wiff of grapeshot. Sad.

I'm getting bored of it.

But no, seriously.

What do regions have intrinsically that entitle them to special influence? I've been asking this for well over a year now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting bored of it.

But no, seriously.

What do regions have intrinsically that entitle them to special influence? I've been asking this for well over a year now.

But I was having fun. Sad.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

My proposal (and no, its not a carbon copy of my previous proposal, read carefully):

The following shall be included in Article I as Section 2: The House, with subsequent sections renumbered accordingly:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article I, Section 5 shall hereby be renumbered Section 4 and read as follows:

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed.

Article IV shall hereby read as follows:
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »

I see no outright deal breakers in this proposal, however I would prefer some time to study it in detail and compare it to the current constitution.

However I do find it exceedingly interesting that the distinguished presiding office no longer deems necessary the reduction in the the number of office holders. Indeed from what I can see the distinguised presiding officer is adding a considerable number of offices far more then even my plan did. Would the distinguised presiding officer care to explain his sudden change of heart on this matter?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

I see no outright deal breakers in this proposal, however I would prefer some time to study it in detail and compare it to the current constitution.

However I do find it exceedingly interesting that the distinguished presiding office no longer deems necessary the reduction in the the number of office holders. Indeed from what I can see the distinguised presiding officer is adding a considerable number of offices far more then even my plan did. Would the distinguised presiding officer care to explain his sudden change of heart on this matter?

I don't actually add anything. The 10 members of the House would be drawn from existing officeholders on the regional level (i.e. governors, lt. governors, assemblymen, CJOs). While the regions may add offices on their own, the proposal does not directly create positions.

Also, what led me not to reduce the number of seats is that there was no seats I could remove. You wouldn't accept the removal of regional senators and there was no way at-large seats, the more exciting races, could be removed. I will hear ideas for what seats can be removed if anyone has thoughts.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »

I don't actually add anything. The 10 members of the House would be drawn from existing officeholders on the regional level (i.e. governors, lt. governors, assemblymen, CJOs). While the regions may add offices on their own, the proposal does not directly create positions.

Also, what led me not to reduce the number of seats is that there was no seats I could remove. You wouldn't accept the removal of regional senators and there was no way at-large seats, the more exciting races, could be removed. I will hear ideas for what seats can be removed if anyone has thoughts.

I am sorry, as I said I need to study the thing in detail, I didn't notice that this would be like dual office holding. Let me read, compare, and think and I will get back to you on this. Oh I am not criticing the proposal for not reducing offices, I still do not see the necessity in reducing them. But the left will not except this proposal, I can tell you that right now. They want offices reduced yesterday.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »

I am sorry, as I said I need to study the thing in detail, I didn't notice that this would be like dual office holding. Let me read, compare, and think and I will get back to you on this. Oh I am not criticing the proposal for not reducing offices, I still do not see the necessity in reducing them. But the left will not except this proposal, I can tell you that right now. They want offices reduced yesterday.

I would like to hear what they have to say. This is the best starting point for a compromise I could think of.

Everyone is welcome to offer their ideas, but bear in mind this is a compromise proposal and you will not get everything you want.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »

My proposal (and no, its not a carbon copy of my previous proposal, read carefully):

The following shall be included in Article I as Section 2: The House, with subsequent sections renumbered accordingly:

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed repealed. (undecided)

Some of my disagreements with Purple State's proposals are major, some are minor, and some are just fixing errors.

You also forgot amending the very first sentence of the article, which should read, "All Legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia, which shall be composed of two chambers, the Senate and the House of Representatives, which may also be referred to as the House." (and similarly replacing "the Senate" with "Congress" elsewhere in the article as necessary).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »

I would rather we not revert back to districts if, as I am told, those failed miserably. It also means that there would have to be someone qualified to open and close and certify district elections, which would cause all sorts of issues and complications.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed repealed. (undecided)

Some of my disagreements with Purple State's proposals are major, some are minor, and some are just fixing errors.

You also forgot amending the very first sentence of the article, which should read, "All Legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia, which shall be composed of two chambers, the Senate and the House of Representatives, which may also be referred to as the House." (and similarly replacing "the Senate" with "Congress" elsewhere in the article as necessary).

Such a proposal, I have considered already, amd I would dub it Americanizaton. I would love to have that system in place today. However the electorate isn't ready for "enlightened ideas" though. Someday my friend, someday. Wink 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »

Such a proposal, I have considered already, amd I would dub it Americanizaton. I would love to have that system in place today. However the electorate isn't ready for "enlightened ideas" though. Someday my friend, someday. Wink 

That nickname does not surprise me, and it is pleasing to have someone in agreement with my ideas.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

1. The House shall be composed of a maximum of ten (undecided) Representatives, each with a term of one month, distributed proportionally among the regions to the nearest whole number. The representatives shall be elected from among the members of the regional elected officials according to the laws of each region. For the purposes of the House, each Region shall be divided intogiven a number of Districts representatives. The number of Districts representatives that a Region gets shall be as equal as possible to that Region's share of the Atlasian population, but each Region shall have at least one Districtrepresentative. The population in each District shall be as equal as possible to the other Districts in the same Region. Each District region shall elect one it's Representatives in a region-wide election using the PR-STV voting method.

This is better.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »

1. The House shall be composed of a maximum of ten (undecided) Representatives, each with a term of one month, distributed proportionally among the regions to the nearest whole number. The representatives shall be elected from among the members of the regional elected officials according to the laws of each region. For the purposes of the House, each Region shall be divided intogiven a number of Districts representatives. The number of Districts representatives that a Region gets shall be as equal as possible to that Region's share of the Atlasian population, but each Region shall have at least one Districtrepresentative. The population in each District shall be as equal as possible to the other Districts in the same Region. Each District region shall elect one it's Representatives in a region-wide election using the PR-STV voting method.

This is better.

The problem that arises there is that every region will just get two representatives since they are all nearly identical in size. Doesn't seem like the most interesting possible reform.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting bored of it.

But no, seriously.

Then recruit people to my side.

But first, answer my question.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting bored of it.

But no, seriously.

You missunderstand. I was having fun putting you guys in front of the firing squad.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »

^^^^

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting bored of it.

But no, seriously.

The honest answer to your question is that regions have special influence because: a) they must confirm anything we pass and b) they have a hell of a constituency. No amendment removing regions, even were it to pass the Convention or Senate, would make it through the regional votes. On the other hand, nothing considerably weakening the national government would pass either. That is why we need to compromise in such ways.

Would it be nicer and more efficient if we could pass the best possible reform? Of course! Unfortunately, entrenched interests rule in this game and so that is what we must work with.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

Does the Lief/MaxQue crowd have any thoughts regarding my compromise proposal?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »

Does the Lief/MaxQue crowd have any thoughts regarding my compromise proposal?

Personally, I don't like imposing on regions the way to choose their representative.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies