The October 2004 Presidential Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:54:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The October 2004 Presidential Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: The October 2004 Presidential Debate  (Read 10974 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2004, 08:07:22 AM »

Senator Hughento,

You said in Round One that the biggest problem facing Atlasia is a low standard of healthcare. What makes you think government intervention in healthcare, which takes money from people to lower drug costs, would improve the welfare state when a free market with competition, imported drugs, and less regulations would lower the costs of healthcare on its own without taking a single cent from an unwilling Atlasian?

Sir,

As I have detailed in my economic plan for Atlasia, I intend to create many multi-lateral free trade dealswith western democratic countries, and I believe that medicines will be on the negotiating table.

My medicinal Co-contribution scheme will not hurt business one iota; and it will help all Atlasians that need life saving medicines. The fact of the matter is, no matter how free we make the market, the costs of medicines will still remain above the level that many Atlasians can reach. After the Free Trade agreements are reached, the cost to the Atlasian government will be minimal. The advantage that the nation will receive from healthy citizens will most certainly offset this. Take that 86 yearm old woman who lives around the corner in every neighbourhood in Atlasia. Under the current system, she can't afford to visit the doctor, pay for the prescriptions when she does go, and treat other health concerns such as a shattered hip or a broken wrsit. Under the H/H for Healthcare plan, she would have free checkups at her local GP, have here medicines subsidised to a level that is reachable on a pension, and be able to have the hip replacement. The fact of the matter is, we can do this, it's cost will be offset by a freer market and a GST, and it's the right thing to do.

In all honesty, you cannot believe that the government should help her, and that we should completely let her deal with the problems herself?

Compassion is sadly lacking in modern America. I plan to bring it back, and I plan to do it fiscally responsibly. It's all there to look up, and it's all fully costed.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2004, 10:05:52 AM »

I do believe as soon as Senator Nation answers his questions by Secretary Al and Senator Hughento, we'll be ready to move on to Round Four.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »

Senator,

You claim that there is a significant amount of 'Pork' spent on healthcare. Atlasia has the best healthcare available in this country, but our health levels are lower then most other wealthy OECD countries. In your opinion, what is more important-proper healthcare to those in need, or spending less money to improve the lives of our citizens?

Of course, proper healthcare is always a first priority -- no one should be left out in the cold for good health, but my propositions can be a gradual transition, and be implemented alongside our current health care standards, which I hope to drastically revamp over my four months as President, if elected.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2004, 12:25:35 PM »

Senator... you are very much the candidate of the UAC Establishment.
Are you going to have policies of your own, or are you going to be another puppet of dark forces within UAC Headquarters?

I think this question demonstrates the validity of my own directed at you, Secretary. Thank you.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2004, 04:56:15 PM »

And that concludes Round Three of the Debate.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2004, 04:56:52 PM »

We now come to the climax of our debate, where our seven haggard presidential candidates will face "The Sentinals"...

The men who perhaps are the best judges of qualification for this unenviable job...

The ones who know its burdens like none other...

The men who have weilded the world's greatest power in their hands...

The Ex-Presidents of the United Atlas Forum.

This round of questioning will be entirely up to these two men.  The may query and follow up as long as they wish.  They may ask questions of or neglect attention to whomever they wish.

And now, may introduce the panel that needs no introductions?

A Michican resident who rose through the ranks of the Democratic Party to ascend to the highest office on its nomination.  Following his departure from office, he served as his opponant's Secretary of State until accepting his current position on the Supreme Court of the land.  Currently he's running for his District's Senate Seat...

Nym90!

[stunned audience comes to its senses and begins to wildly applause]

And the nation's first Secretary of State, as well as the second President of the UAF and first to be elected on the UAC ticket, this figure is now enjoying a sabatical from official life...

Gustaf!

[enthusiastic audience furiously applauding in euphoric surprise of this unanticipated panel!]

Thank you for participating, gentlemen.  The floor is now yours.  Just indicate in your post whenever you've concluded your probing.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2004, 01:37:17 AM »

My first question is directed to Sen. Hughento:

Regarding your MCS proposal, could you more fully explain the concept of having an "independent" committee to review the necessity of medications. In particular, please explain who would be on this committee, and how would it be assured that they are independent? Would it be done by Presidential appointment, or some other means? How would you assure that members of the committee would remain independent?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2004, 02:06:08 AM »

Thanks Nym,

I'm glad you've highlighted one of my key policies in this campaign, the Medicinal Co-Contribution Scheme (MCS). The MCS is designed to make medicines affordable, and therefore improve the quality of life and lifespan of Atlasians.

The primary method for determining if a drug will be placed on the MCS list is by investigation of its merits by an independent group. This group would determine if it is to be listed on three key criteria-1. Does it benefit the patient more then any current drug designed for the same purpose? 2. Is it cheaper, or at least not more expensive and 3. Soes it treat potentially fatal illnesses or drastically improve quality of life?. If the medicine passes these three tests, then it will be allowed into the MCS and the government will subsidise it if it costs the patient more then $500 a year, or eliminate its cost completly if a person is already spending that money on other MCS-listed medications.

The 15-member group will be formed by 15 of the nations' leading pharmacists, medical doctors, proffesors, scientists and also finance experts, to deal with the cost issues. These people have the most knowledge of their fields, and are best suited to determine if a drug meets the three key criteria. They will be nominated via private citizens, the Atlasian Medical Association, members of congress, etc; then approved by the President and confirmed by the senate. It would also be illegal for the members of the group at any time to have any links with the pharmaceutical industry lobbyists or companies.

I can't instantly put a dolllar in a vending machine and get a completely independent world expert on pharmaceuticals come out, but with these checks and balances, we can at least equal the balance, and eliminate all those with a clear and destructive bias.

Atlasia is ready for the MCS, and the MCS can work. I again thank you for the question, and I must admit-it is humbling to be asked questions on my health policy from the greatest healthcare reforming President our nation has seen.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2004, 03:38:15 AM »

My first question id directed at General Secreatary Al:

You have in the past, as well as in this debate, shown a preference for ridiculing other candidates and political issues as a whole. (I'm presuming that the claim that senate candidate Reaganfan would kill babies or the anti-capitalist rants are not to be taken seriously) Can Atlasian voters really trust you to take the job seriously?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2004, 09:54:39 AM »

My first question id directed at General Secreatary Al:

You have in the past, as well as in this debate, shown a preference for ridiculing other candidates and political issues as a whole. (I'm presuming that the claim that senate candidate Reaganfan would kill babies or the anti-capitalist rants are not to be taken seriously) Can Atlasian voters really trust you to take the job seriously?

Seeing as I was Vice President for a while, have led the AFL-CIO and the AFUMW since there foundation, and have as a result become a common sight on TV when I'm resolving industrial disputes, I would be suprised and slightly hurt if people thought my candidacy was some deranged joke.

And on that subject, while I like a joke, as was seen by my parody attack ads on Reaganfan, If elected I will take this job extremely seriously... economic development and regeneration are the cornerstones of my candidacy, and they are certainly not laughing matters.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2004, 01:50:52 PM »

Thanks Mr. Secretary.

My next question is directed at Mr. Badnarik04. You claim to stand for small government and libertarian policies. But your record (political compass score) shows you well to the left of PBrunsel on economy and a not too extreme libertarian score on social issues. Your running-mate is even more moderate. Are Atlasian voters being tricked into voting for a mere moderate when they think they're backing a full-fledged libertarian? And is the difference compared to the UAC and AFIP canditates really that big?
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2004, 04:04:20 PM »

Thanks Mr. Secretary.

My next question is directed at Mr. Badnarik04. You claim to stand for small government and libertarian policies. But your record (political compass score) shows you well to the left of PBrunsel on economy and a not too extreme libertarian score on social issues. Your running-mate is even more moderate. Are Atlasian voters being tricked into voting for a mere moderate when they think they're backing a full-fledged libertarian? And is the difference compared to the UAC and AFIP canditates really that big?

Thank you, Gustaf.

Well, first, about the political compass. The political compass asks you about your opinions about  small scale problems. When I took this test, I took it as honestly as possible. I found it difficult to apply a Libertarian answer to some of those questions, so i related them to situations in real life.

What the political compass is meant for is to try to give one an idea what party they would go with if they were new to politics and aid swing voters decieved by attacks in picking a candidate besed on issues.

How i took the political compass test has nothing to do with my policies. Like I said in the political compass thread on this board, I wish my score was in the total lower right hand corner because that's how I believe I would run this country.

The political compass does not show the fact that I believe we need drastic changes for Atlasia to work like clockwork. Me and Dabeav are both committed to making drastic changes to bring about personal freedom in every way. The UAC and AFIP don't want things to change.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2004, 04:59:15 PM »

Thank you Mr. Badnarikin04

Senator Hughento: You have proclaimed your honesty as a central part in your campaign, but for a long time you lied to the Atlas Forum about your background claiming that you were from Iowa when you were in fact from Australia. How can you expect us, the voters, to trust you to be more honest than other candidates?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2004, 12:24:39 AM »

Thanks Gus,

Yes, I did neglect to tell members of the general board that I was Australian for a few weeks. I did it for a many reasons, but most notably was that many americans don't take Australians seriously. When I suggested the then former, disgraced disgraced Kentucky Governor for Kerrys' VP, I thought maybe that my cover might've been blown, so I 'came out' as an Aussie-and guess what-Americans weren't as close minded as I thought they would be.

But I have always been honest to the Atlasian people. From day one people here knew I was gay, they knew I was Australian, and they knew that I was an independent thinker who wanted the best for the nation. I was here pretty early, and contributed to our nations' founding including helping set up the constitution, to the format of the senate, and the inclusion of Preferential Voting, which most would agree has certainly helped Atlasia, and being an inaugural senator. I have never lied to the Atlasian people, and that's what my honesty campaign has been saying. I've been saying it because it is true-I have never ever lied to the Atlasia people. I'm true to myself, I'm true to you, and I'm true to the nation.

I'd just like to say to everyone out there-don't deny who you are. Don't be dishonest to yourself, first. Nothing-even being Awstrayan-is bad enough to lie about. We've got one life-why waste any of it in deceit? Open yourself to the world, and most importantly to you. You can't shine if you're covered up. Atlasia celebrates diversity; add yourself to the melting pot.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2004, 05:58:51 AM »

Thank you senator Hughento.

(Nym90, where are you? I'm feeling a little lonely right now...go post some fricking questions! Tongue We CAN alternate, ya know. Wink )

Ahem, anyway...

Senator Nation: Can you point at anything that singles you out from other politicians, or aren’t you just another generic moderate without any real political initiatives of your own or an individual profile? Can you point at any legislation or any stand that makes you especially qualified to be president?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2004, 03:07:23 AM »

wackie wakie, messers. ex-president...
Niles Caulder

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2004, 07:46:10 AM »

Ahhh...perhaps we should move on to Round Five.

Closing Statements, Gentlemen.  One post a piece.
badnarikin04

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2004, 02:46:19 PM »

Thank you, Niles. And Thanks for Gustaf and NYM for their contibutions, however scant, to this fine debate. And thanks to the other candidates as well for making this a debate.

If there's anything we've learned from this, it's that this is one close election. It truly makes me proud to be the voice for all the big L's and little l's in this election. Today too many politicians build their agendas on a highly unfair amount of distrust in their common people. Because of this, it's been drilled into our minds that freedom does not work. But how can we tell that if no one in this country has ever lived in a time of true freedom? Everyone's had at least one right taken away from them. Whether it's getting locked up for years just for lighting up a blunt, being robbed of your money to fund government programs that are unnecessary or that could be handled privately, or simply having your privacy invaded by overbearing beuraucracy. One big trait that sets me apart from the rest of the feild is that I will give true freedom a try for once. Everyone else promises the same old tired government programs that are sure to fail.

I will let you decide what to buy, what to do, where to go whenever you like. The others want to make you sign forms, pay them, and let you go while secretly keeping an eye on what you do.

But don't ever think that I won't be there when you need me. Whenever our safety is threatened, the whole of the Atlasian Army will be here to protect our land when your right to personal freedom is threatened.

But that is also why I am here today. I am protecting freedom for all of Atlasia. I feel that our freedom is being threatened day by day. And if you've ever felt the same way, a vote for me is an opportunity too big to pass by.

This weekend, keep freedom in mind when voting. Think of your growing taxes. Think of all those government forms. If you start to feel the gripping of oppresion on your back, think of me, Badnarikin04, the candidate that promises freedom...no strings attatched.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2004, 03:30:50 PM »

Thank you senator Hughento.

(Nym90, where are you? I'm feeling a little lonely right now...go post some fricking questions! Tongue We CAN alternate, ya know. Wink )

Ahem, anyway...

Senator Nation: Can you point at anything that singles you out from other politicians, or aren’t you just another generic moderate without any real political initiatives of your own or an individual profile? Can you point at any legislation or any stand that makes you especially qualified to be president?

Ah, geez. I completely missed this question.

Well Mr. President, I don't think there is one specific view or legislation that makes ANY individual especially qualified for office, but I will point out that I have been very open about my faith, my positions on a variety of social issues, and my desire for serious reform in the health care system. I may be a moderate, but I have made clear my positions that don't always ring perfect with left-leaning -- or right-leaning voters.

I have not pandered to any group for votes during my run for presidency -- I have stated exactly what I believe, and what I want. I have been forthright with the Atlasian people -- if they vote for me, which I hope they will -- they know what they'll get. An honest President with a desire for a strong country.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:54 PM »

Once again, I'd like to thank all my opponents, but especially Niles Caulder. Thank you sir, for hosting these debates.

This campaign is based on three things, for the most part. A strong defense, which I hope to achieve through better border security and port security, and of course by retaining Secretary Ford at his position.

Secondly, I believe in God, and I do look to Him for guidance. I believe a true faith-based initiative in government programs will be able to further help the poor, the less fortunate, the downtrodden. Churches are a large part of the charity in our nation. If tax breaks for these institutions can help hunger and poverty in our nation, than we must help them.

Finally -- a reform of the health care system, in addition to doing our best to help ALL of those who are in need of medical attention. Change must begin at some point in regards to health for our nation. If I want to cut taxes, money must be saved. And improving our health care system will result in MORE money, I guarantee it.

Thank you, and God bless Atlasia.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2004, 06:23:32 PM »

I would like to thank The University of Texas-Austin for hosting this debate and Niles Caudler for moderating it.

I have always grown up beleiving in the American Dream. The dream that hard work and percerveirance leads to better opportunites. Today in Atlasia these solid values of hard work, commitment, and independence are being forgotten by a big government that focuses on higher welfare spending and infringing on our personal independence by raising taxes higher and higher. Atlasia can do better, Atlasia must do better. If we are to continue growing stronger and greater than we must change courses.

Liberty must take the day, nothing shorter. Whether it be liberty for those who livbe under terrorist tyranys or liberty for the hard working tax payers and families in our great nation, we are a liberty loving country. Patrick Henry excalimed in 1775, "Give me liberty of give me death" and I say that today. Give the people of Atlasia their freedom back. Freedom from high taxes. Freedom from government intrusion on our businesses. Give us back the freedom to think, work, and earn a living. The freedom to have a family and not owrry that the government will end this dream by high taxes.

My programs are for the "Man on the Make" as Woodrow Wilson would say.  The man who is striving to open his own business. We must be the great defebder of free enterprise. This "Man on the Make" has the right to start a business and help our economy by creating this small business. The thing that helps are county's expanding economy is small business, and we need to help them, not hinder them.

As I said when I was running for the Senate, the greatest honor history can bestow upon you is the title of hard worker, and I believe this today. Without the hard working men and women of Atlasia we would not be as great a nation we are today. I am running for President beciase of you. I am running for President for you.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2004, 09:08:09 PM »

I'd like to thank Niles and all the other candidates for being here.  It's been a good debate.
Well, my friends, the election is a choice between 6 good candidates, but I believe there's one who rises to the top....Senator Harry.
Remember, that I was the first vice president of Atlasia.  Our first president, Nym90, chose me because he knew he saw something in me.  I'm in my second term as senator, and I've served as PPT.  I've always been a champion of education and the environment.  I'm also the only candidate who's secured an endorsement from a promiment Atlasian with vastly different views, and that shows how I can work with anyone from any viewpoint.

In conclusion, I believe I'm the most qualified candidate in the mix, and would do the best job as president.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2004, 10:13:25 PM »

Firstly, I'd like to thank my opponents for a passionate, eyebrow raising and insightful debate. I'd also like to thank Niles for his great job as moderator and the university for hosting the debate.

Tonight we leave you with 6 clear choices. None of us can truly be described in one word, but in philosophies. Al's philsosophy is populism. Harry is a liberal. Nations is a religious centrist. PBrunsel's is conservative, and Badnarik04 believes in Libertarian ideals. Tonight, You can choose between one of these ideologies, or you can choose a economic moderate who believes in the progression of the Atlasian people through freedom in social and economic ways.

Don and I offer the broadest platform, and the only fully costed one. We have a plan to improve the quality of our citizens' health, to make our economy freer AND fairer and to strengthen our position in the world, to be respected by democracies and respected by enemies, but never a pushover. We are the only ticket which has thought ahead to the end of our term and is prepared to help guide the nation to calm watres rather then only act when we're in the middle of a storm.

The choice you face is one between five candidates who wouldn't destroy the country but wouldn't Progress it. It's a choice between five candidates who wouldn't bring further liberty to the nation in economic and social matters. Five candidates who don't have the responsibility that my campaign has humbly forced upon me of honesty and truth in the oval office. Then there is one candidate who can truthfully pledge Progress, who can honestly proclaim Liberty, and who can honestly promise Responsibility-for Atlasia's future.

Thank you all and goodnight.

(And just a public service message-when you vote, to use the preferential system most effectively, please don't use write-in tickets, and please list ever choice.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2004, 03:57:46 AM »

For the record I thought that Nation should answer my question before I came with the next one (no hard feelings of course. Smiley) and also that Nym should post something else...I did have more questions waiting. But, well, things happen, no big deal. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies