GM Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:52:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  GM Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: GM Discussion Thread  (Read 9708 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »

Well Assistant GM can be an approved senate positions as well, but I don't think that the SoEA should be the assistant GM because they have other involvement in the game and the GM shouldn't.  Dual-office thingy

Aren't you the one mocking the power of the SoEA? Or was that SPC? Either way, the Cabinet needs to have more influence on the game. Right now the SoEA doesn't do very much of consequence and I would like for that to change. I also don't want to increase the number of positions in the game. That would reduce competition and increase the likelihood of inactivity.
Yeah I mocked the SoEA because it is a do-nothing job.  It doesn't mean that the position of GM should be unneutral
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »

Well Assistant GM can be an approved senate positions as well, but I don't think that the SoEA should be the assistant GM because they have other involvement in the game and the GM shouldn't.  Dual-office thingy

Aren't you the one mocking the power of the SoEA? Or was that SPC? Either way, the Cabinet needs to have more influence on the game. Right now the SoEA doesn't do very much of consequence and I would like for that to change. I also don't want to increase the number of positions in the game. That would reduce competition and increase the likelihood of inactivity.
Yeah I mocked the SoEA because it is a do-nothing job.  It doesn't mean that the position of GM should be unneutral

Making the SoEA deputy GM for international matters (with approval of the GM necessary) doesn't make the post not neutral. This is just giving the SoEA more to do, as well as lightening the load on the GM and making it more likely to get timely news.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

Scary thing is I actually agree with DWTL on the SOEA as assistant GM.  I think that we need someone who can function independent of the administration.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »

Scary thing is I actually agree with DWTL on the SOEA as assistant GM.  I think that we need someone who can function independent of the administration.

The GM isn't even "independent" of the administration. And even so, the GM has final say on the news provided by the SoEA. The amending bill I am introducing gives the GM the power of approval.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »

The GM isn't even "independent" of the administration. And even so, the GM has final say on the news provided by the SoEA. The amending bill I am introducing gives the GM the power of approval.

I just feel the SOEA's role should be responding to the news, no creating it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »

Except the SoEA doesn't really do very much of that and posting reactions to news is pretty "do nothing" on its own. The idea is that the SoEA should report what is going on in the world to the Senate and President and allow the Senate and Presdient to react to the news with legislation and statements/executive actions, after which the SoEA can update us on how the situation has changed.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2009, 12:19:24 AM »

We can always have a war break out some place and that will give the SoEA something to respond to. However, it would probably end up being a bit unrealistic.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »

I agree with HappyWarrior.

Except the SoEA doesn't really do very much of that and posting reactions to news is pretty "do nothing" on its own. The idea is that the SoEA should report what is going on in the world to the Senate and President and allow the Senate and Presdient to react to the news with legislation and statements/executive actions, after which the SoEA can update us on how the situation has changed.

Not really especially if he responded to news that was slightly different then RL especially since some of the things different from RL in Atlasia would cause differences in RL events. If an Assistant GM were created for Foriegn events it should be separate from the SoEA that way the SoEA is still responding to events as his job entails but they would be more dynamic and there would be more content. There would then need to be constant interaction between the SoEA, the assistant GM, and of course the Senate should it involve treaties and also the President if it involves legislation. So we would still get the increased Gov't interaction and involvement.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »

The SOEA in days of old (I even think I held it at one point :/ ) used to report on world events; some even prompted the Senate to act upon them - it's something that should seriously be considered again.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

I won't support adding an entirely separate office. If we can't keep the GM position active, how are we to keep a deputy GM active? You are just increasing the likelihood of a dead office, spreading the government too thin.

The President should be able to respond adequately to foreign news, and actually should be responding, himself. The SoEA, right now, doesn't do much of anything substantive aside from telling the Senate what the President could easily have told us anyway. My proposal would give the SoEA a little bit more influence over events (still requiring GM approval in the end), make the office more active and consequential, and alleviate the pressure on the GM.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »

I don't see why a Deputy GM would be any different the currently allowed positions of Deputy SoFA.  The position isn't used often, but if the head of the department is not going to be very active for a time, then they can relegate some duties.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »

I don't see why a Deputy GM would be any different the currently allowed positions of Deputy SoFA.  The position isn't used often, but if the head of the department is not going to be very active for a time, then they can relegate some duties.

I just don't want another office to fill. If we had lots of activity I wouldn't object to that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »

*sigh*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »

You see?  I was in your shoes, once, a firm believer that an active GM would make Atlasia much stronger.  Perhaps it would.  But finding a person who's up to all of that Wink

The requests just keep building, endlessly piling up, and as the stack becomes larger there's less of an incentive to start at all, because you'll just be doing Item #1 of 90,000, and what difference will that make?  There's nothing condemnable about BrandonH's actions; they're just what anyone else would do in his shoes.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

You see?  I was in your shoes, once, a firm believer that an active GM would make Atlasia much stronger.  Perhaps it would.  But finding a person who's up to all of that Wink

The requests just keep building, endlessly piling up, and as the stack becomes larger there's less of an incentive to start at all, because you'll just be doing Item #1 of 90,000, and what difference will that make?  There's nothing condemnable about BrandonH's actions; they're just what anyone else would do in his shoes.

Combine that 90,000 with 900,000 real life things going on.

Lief has mentioned that he has found someone who would like the job. So either I'll resign upon their confirmation or I'll resign now if that is what's necessary for the confirmation to get started.

Again I apologize to everyone. I felt when I first took over in June I was doing a good job, but once July got here, my life got pretty hectic. It could be October before things slow down for me. Atlasia can't go that long without an active GM so I'm glad that there is someone else willing to step up. I'm thankful to bgwah and Lief for giving this opportunity and I wish the best of luck to whomever takes my place. I'll pass along my notes to the next person whenever they're ready.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »

You did the best you could Brandon and I don't think anyone really faults you for it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

[cry]WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/cry]
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »

It's good to see a GM step down when they are unable to perform duties at expected levels. Brandon H, thank you for your service, and thank you for doing the right thing. perhaps you will get another chance at a better time for you.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Pity the poor schmuck that gets landed with this awful job next...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:52 PM »

You did the best you could Brandon and I don't think anyone really faults you for it.

No its definately not his fault. The time when this position would have been the most fun would have been last fall reporting on the beggining of the recession. If things get worse now it would either be expected or blamed on the GM's partisanship.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies