Redistricting Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:23:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Redistricting Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Pennsylvania  (Read 2058 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »

One more redistricting map from the guys at Swing State Project.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=69EA2A2498397AE89BE47527038734DD?diaryId=5136

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/dufffbeer/political/paredist/?action=view&current=pa18.jpg
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »

Seems reasonable with a big exception for Pitts' district. I'd hate being in PA 1 though. Still just a street away from some sanity in PA "5" (the current PA Cool.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »

Fair districts.  No funny map stuff.  Only problem is for the Philly districts, you may run into the "majority-minority" issue with CD 1.  I personally think it's dumb and in actuality benefits the GOP ironically.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »

Fair districts.  No funny map stuff.  Only problem is for the Philly districts, you may run into the "majority-minority" issue with CD 1.  I personally think it's dumb and in actuality benefits the GOP ironically.

I agree.  The VRA requirements are harmful to Democrats because all the Democratic votes are packed into one district.  I also think it perpetuates the ugliness of racial politics. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2009, 01:09:52 AM by Brian from Family Guy »

I agree.  The VRA requirements are harmful to Democrats because all the Democratic votes are packed into one district.  I also think it perpetuates the ugliness of racial politics. 

I have a feeling they'll move CD 2 farther east into some of the more African American and Latino parts of North Philadelphia to be represented by Fattah and snake CD 1 along the Delaware River so Bob Brady can represent the primarily white Northeast and South Philly and the "river Wards."  CD 1 would basically be full of working class whites and maybe a few uppity Center Ctiy folks.  Again, both cases would pack a lot of Democrats and make Schwartz and Murphy more vulnerable by making them fight for more exurban/rural territory.  Upper Montco and Bucks are still very conservative both fiscally AND socially.  Actually, it looks like Sestak will be safer under this scenario however.

Know this could sound stereotypical, but as a Democrat, I would try to give Schwartz Montco and some of the more Jewish parts of NE Philly which are primarily west of Roosevelt Blvd. and give Pat Murphy some more working class ethnic whites primarily east of Roosevelt Blvd. to protect him.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2009, 03:40:51 PM by brittain33 »

I did this last night. Redistricting Pennsylvania was a lot of fun! I started from the proposition of abolishing the 5th district and trying to clean up the worst weirdness of the last gerrymander. Following that, I tried to preserve incumbents and keep both districts in Philly at least 50% African-American (and I squeaked by in PA-1 despite sending Chester and West Philly to PA-2.)

For Holden's district, the tendrils take in Carlisle and Reading. I did that for constituency coherency rather than population. I enjoyed piling up those central conservative counties in Platts' district where they can't do any more damage. Also, I tried to shore up PA-4 while making PA-18 coherent as a Republican suburban district. I put some more of Scranton into PA-10.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »

Know this could sound stereotypical, but as a Democrat, I would try to give Schwartz Montco and some of the more Jewish parts of NE Philly which are primarily west of Roosevelt Blvd. and give Pat Murphy some more working class ethnic whites primarily east of Roosevelt Blvd. to protect him.

That would make more sense geographically and culturally.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:22:42 AM »

Well, if you want the GOP to be more competitive in Bucks, you would want to consolidate the city of Philadelphia into 2 districts and move what's now PA 8 into the lower Lehigh Valley.  Do you really not want to be represented by Bob Brady that bad?  Just curious.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »

Well, if you want the GOP to be more competitive in Bucks, you would want to consolidate the city of Philadelphia into 2 districts and move what's now PA 8 into the lower Lehigh Valley.  Do you really not want to be represented by Bob Brady that bad?  Just curious.

I have no desire to be in a district like that (especially when it is represented by that). Plus, I like our chances of making up the difference elsewhere statewide.

Plus, your plan isn't that sound anyway. You can't just move all of that into PA 8. You'd have to get rid of a good chunk of the current PA 8.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies