Is teaching creationism in biology classes Constitutional?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:30:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is teaching creationism in biology classes Constitutional?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Is teaching creationism in biology classes Constitutional?  (Read 16062 times)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »

Rather, the public schools should just be shut down completely.

Now that's just asking for serious trouble.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

For the state, absolutely. Imagine all those children growing up capable of independent thought. A frightening prospect for a government built upon ignorance.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »

For the state, absolutely. Imagine all those children growing up capable of independent thought. A frightening prospect for a government built upon ignorance.

So it would be better to go back to the days when almost nobody was educated at all?
I guess it's better to have only the rich and successful who can pay for school be able to achieve anything at all. We should just assign the people who can't pay for school to abject poverty for life.

Honestly, public education is one of the best things about America. If you can't see that, then you must be the one who is ignorant.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

Of course it is constitutional. The Constitution has no just authority over local schools.

Uh, no. Public schools are themselves unconstitutional; but as long as they exist (unconstitutionally), then it is also unconstitutional to teach Creationism in them.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

So it would be better to go back to the days when almost nobody was educated at all?
I guess it's better to have only the rich and successful who can pay for school be able to achieve anything at all. We should just assign the people who can't pay for school to abject poverty for life.
No, it would be better to go back to the days when people actually were educated.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The institution most responsible for the sorry state of the American populace today is "one of the best things about America"? I take it you're a public school grad?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:54 AM »

Of course it is constitutional. The Constitution has no just authority over local schools.

Uh, no. Public schools are themselves unconstitutional; but as long as they exist (unconstitutionally), then it is also unconstitutional to teach Creationism in them.
As you have admitted, the mere existence of public schools is unconstitutional. What is "taught" in them is irrelevant to this fact.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »

No, it would be better to go back to the days when people actually were educated.

The institution most responsible for the sorry state of the American populace today is "one of the best things about America"? I take it you're a public school grad?

Stop deluding yourself.  You know for well that if it wasn't for state funded schools we'd still all be living in the 18th Century.  For whatever flaws may lie in the system, there're always a few, pobody's nerfect, public schools have done more good than harm over the years than you can care to ignore.  I myself went to state funded school, and I've done very well out of it thank you, no matter how much I resented the bureaucratisation of the exams I did and all that.  If you want to live in a time period where only a small minority can read or right, go invent yourself a time machine and go there, but your anti-education sentiment is really quite disgusting.  Public schools rob students of the ability of independent though, my arse!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »

I wonder whether Libertas will use the word "sheeple" at some point.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »

Stop deluding yourself.  You know for well that if it wasn't for state funded schools we'd still all be living in the 18th Century.
Interesting hypothesis. Can you explain the physics behind lack of state funded schools causing time to stand still?

Or are you just saying the calendars would never have been updated without state schools?

No, they haven't.

Perhaps that explains it then. Public schools do do a good job turning their victims into their most ardent defenders. A case of Stockholm syndrome maybe?

No, I wish everyone knew how to read, write, and be able to properly use the English language, for example knowing the difference between "right" and "write." But I suppose that's an "anti-education sentiment."

Yes, your coming in here to demonstrate my point is much appreciated.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »

Stop deluding yourself.  You know for well that if it wasn't for state funded schools we'd still all be living in the 18th Century.
Interesting hypothesis. Can you explain the physics behind lack of state funded schools causing time to stand still?

Or are you just saying the calendars would never have been updated without state schools?

No, they haven't.

Perhaps that explains it then. Public schools do do a good job turning their victims into their most ardent defenders. A case of Stockholm syndrome maybe?

No, I wish everyone knew how to read, write, and be able to properly use the English language, for example knowing the difference between "right" and "write." But I suppose that's an "anti-education sentiment."

Yes, your coming in here to demonstrate my point is much appreciated.

More to the point can you explain your lack of ability to work out what "figure of speech" means.

Yes they have.  Prove to me that they haven't.  If it weren't for public schools, education would be unavailable to the masses and wast swathes of the population would be illiterate.

Now I know you're a berk.  You can't think up a single decent argument against public schools so you start referring to their defenders as brainwashed.  Nice try but no.  As I said, don't delude yourself.

You know your arguments are getting worse when you start picking on little typos.  Quite frankly on the outlook I'm surprised you've even got sufficient working brain cells to be even having this argument with me.  Everything about you reeks to me of being anti-education.  In fact, if you're so anti-education, how come you're literate enough to even be reading this?  Oh wait, you're not.

The very day I prove a point of yours will be when I win the lottery, inherit the throne of Sweden and become the first man on Mars all in one go.  You don't even have a point to prove.  I don't know who's been feeding you this rubbish that public schools are no good whatsoever, but quite frankly the fact that you're thick enough to take it all in says a lot about you.  I await your reply to see how much more of an idiot you can become, and to be blunt your prognosis ain't good.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »

More to the point can you explain your lack of ability to work out what "figure of speech" means.
As expected, no explanation as to how lack of state-funded schools would have kept the world in the 18th century.

Hey, what do you know, education IS unavailable to the masses and vast swathes of the population ARE illiterate.

Not a single decent argument? Nice try, the arguments are all waiting for you when you're done reflexively defending your personal government schooling.

Must have taken some finger acrobatics to have turned "write" into "right" via typographical error.

That irrational and illogical nonsense is spoken like a true government schoolboy.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »

As expected, no explanation as to how lack of state-funded schools would have kept the world in the 18th century.

Hey, what do you know, education IS unavailable to the masses and vast swathes of the population ARE illiterate.

Not a single decent argument? Nice try, the arguments are all waiting for you when you're done reflexively defending your personal government schooling.

Must have taken some finger acrobatics to have turned "write" into "right" via typographical error.

That irrational and illogical nonsense is spoken like a true government schoolboy.

Oh please, carry on.  I'm rather enjoying seeing you make yourself look like even more of an utter fool than before.  Your little vendetta against publicly funded education carries no merit, has no logic, and it appears to me that your only intention is to inflame.  Apparently, anyone who has a good thing to say about public schooling is a brainwashed zombie, or so you'd falsely claim.  Do come back when you have rational argument against it, which ought to be say, never.  Of course you're just going to continue to troll and build on your reputation as a complete retard.  Your reply ought to be thoroughly entertaining.  Oh, and before I go, please do enlighten me as to who's been feeding you the bullshit that you've been spewing.
WillK

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

How can they be unconstitutional when the Constitution of a state (lets say Illinois) specifically calls for their existence?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »

People with money, you mean?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 08:17:24 PM »

People with money, you mean?

People without lots of money aren't real people. Now get back to your jute plantation.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 07:06:19 AM »

My theory on Libertas here is that he himself was educated in a public school himself, and that something happened to him there that was so bad, I dunno, he could've failed an exam really badly, and he's now using the public education system as a scapegoat for his own failings.  Tongue
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 07:29:01 AM »

No, people with brains.

Private schools across America, especially at the higher education level, will already attempt to match 100% of demonstrated financial aid need for accepted students. Not to mention the many merit scholarships available as well.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »

My theory on Libertas here is that he himself was educated in a public school himself, and that something happened to him there that was so bad, I dunno, he could've failed an exam really badly, and he's now using the public education system as a scapegoat for his own failings.  Tongue
Those public school deduction skills really shining through there.

But no, I've never been in a government school in my life.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »

If it were not for state-funded shoes, only rich people could afford shoes and the poor would go barefoot! Roll Eyes
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »

Those public school deduction skills really shining through there.

But no, I've never been in a government school in my life.

Obviously you're incapable of recognising facetiousness when you're looking at it.  A very poor reflection on you.

Nonetheless, you're still sorely mistake about public schooling.  Whether you like it or not, it actually works and it does not turn people into brainwashed drones.   So, please do explain your rather obnoxious "holier than thou" attitude that has deluded you into thinking that you're correct and everyone else is wrong.  Your habit of being an obnoxious arse-hole only serves to make your arguments look completely ridiculous.  In fact, when I made my initial statement, you had the chance to politely rebut me and counter with a well though out, well written statement, but instead you decided flamed me and acted like a complete jerk, thus automatically rendering your claims to be completely ridiculous.  Granted the quality of debate here is generally not very high, but you have succeeded in setting some seriously new lows.  If you're such an advocate of non-public school education, you're certainly not showing it or yourself up in a good light with your obnoxious behaviour.  Finally,I will close with the remark that should you choose to flame whilst replying to this post, you will only have served to prove my point here, and to show yourself up even further.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2009, 12:13:44 AM »

No, people with brains.

Private schools across America, especially at the higher education level, will already attempt to match 100% of demonstrated financial aid need for accepted students. Not to mention the many merit scholarships available as well.

I was unaware that higher education was the only form of education.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »

Epic fail as usual, Libertas.

Supreme Court says no. Edwards v. Aguillard 482 U.S. 578 (1987)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=482&page=578
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=482&page=578
The question asked by this thread was "Is teaching creationism in biology classes Constitutional?"

Not "Does the the Supreme Court think it is constitutional?"
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

The question asked by this thread was "Is teaching creationism in biology classes Constitutional?"

Last time I checked, the Supreme Court has the final say on this, not some guy who can't understand why educating everybody is important. I'm curious, what kind of school did you go to, if it wasn't a public one, and why does it make you so much better than those who came up through the public school system? Maybe I'm just some stupid public school kid that clearly can't comprehend your superior intellect, but your points seem muddled at best and downright wrong at worst.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »

The SCOTUS is the final authority in these matters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies