Are all the crazy Obama rumors...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are all the crazy Obama rumors...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ... just a "polite" way of expressing hostility to his skin color?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Are all the crazy Obama rumors...  (Read 3193 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »

Calling him a Muslim is worse than calling him the N word.

And thats not insulting to Muslims or anything..

I agree....Sadly, many view most Muslims in a negative way. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »

Alot of people, whether they mean to or not, associate being black with being "unpatriotic" or "unamerican."

Didn't Jesse Helms believe that the civil rights fighters were communists trying to undermine democracy?
And hadn't Jeff Sessions said that NAACP and ACLU were communist-inspired organizations?

Ah, yes. Now there are two people speaking on behalf of "most Americans" on issues of race.

That claim was never made. He was simply suggesting that alternative criticisms are created for particular people or movements to hide the true reasons behind one's opposition/discomfort.

Nobody is claiming that that equals a majority of Americans....as a majority of Americans doesn't believe the garbage.

I think he was using them as an example that "a lot" of Americans feel that way about blacks and that's pretty damn ridiculous.

Well alot could be 10 or 15 percent of the country and that many people are probably admirers of Helms.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

Why must you take shots at Mississippi?  I know you northerners are engrained to always think "racist" when you hear Mississippi, but jesus...
Your state is pretty racist. I don't see your state being much different from Alabama and a majority of whites there voted against mixed marriage being legalized.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

Why must you take shots at Mississippi?  I know you northerners are engrained to always think "racist" when you hear Mississippi, but jesus...

My bad. After reviewing 2008 exit polls, it's clear that Mississippi's racial problems are overrated...

Obama % (Whites): 11%
Obama % (Blacks): 98%

Please accept my apology. Roll Eyes
In Alabama, it was 10 and 98.  Yet you singled out Mississippi.  Sure, we have our problems, but other states do as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

Well alot could be 10 or 15 percent of the country and that many people are probably admirers of Helms.

Ok...

1) That's as idiotic as the previous accusation. 10-15% of Americans are Helms' admirers? Really, dude?

2) Even if they admire Helms, that doesn't mean they agree with his points about the NAACP, ACLU, etc./don't necessarily believe blacks are un-American.

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »

Ok...

1) That's as idiotic as the previous accusation. 10-15% of Americans are Helms' admirers? Really, dude?

2) Even if they admire Helms, that doesn't mean they agree with his points about the NAACP, ACLU, etc./don't necessarily believe blacks are un-American.
How is that idiotic? If 10 percent of people think Obama is a muslim, I am sure that AT LEAST 10 percent of Americans have favorable opinions of Helms because of what he said about the ACLU and NAACP. Polls/studies have shown that at least that many people are racist or bigoted in some fashion. 30 million people=alot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »

Ok...

How is that idiotic? If 10 percent of people think Obama is a muslim, I am sure that AT LEAST 10 percent of Americans have favorable opinions of Helms because of what he said about the ACLU and NAACP. Polls/studies have shown that at least that many people are racist or bigoted in some fashion. 30 million people=alot.

But what you don't understand is that those comments about the NAACP and ACLU aren't necessarily beliefs that blacks themselves are un-American. The NAACP and the ACLU (I don't even know why they're mentioned) don't dictate what it means to be black.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »

Nah, it was the normal kneejerk reaction to a Democrat running for president (at least that's what it seemed like around here). In other places it might be different, but in OK they pulled almost the same exact crap (minus the Muslim comments) on Kerry.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:06 AM »

But what you don't understand is that those comments about the NAACP and ACLU aren't necessarily beliefs that blacks themselves are un-American. The NAACP and the ACLU (I don't even know why they're mentioned) don't dictate what it means to be black.

Come on Phil! You aren't that naive.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that Reagan's ''welfare queen'' and the Willie Horton ads weren't really race-baiting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »

Come on Phil! You aren't that naive.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that Reagan's ''welfare queen'' and the Willie Horton ads weren't really race-baiting.

Again, disapproval of the NAACP and ACLU =/= thinking blacks are "un-American." Save your paranoia and handwringing for someone else.

And, again, I have no idea why the ACLU is even mentioned here.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »

To an extent, yes.

I think a lot of the people here are being too cynical. The only places in the country to trend Democratic after favorite son affect is accounted for are Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, eastern Oklahoma, and northern Alabama. I think some of it had to do with race in these places, but also that Obama came off as an elitist, overly intellectual to some. However, yes, the 10% or so that think he is a Muslim probably are racists.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

[Again, disapproval of the NAACP and ACLU =/= thinking blacks are "un-American." Save your paranoia and handwringing for someone else.

I mentioned ACLU because the ranking Republican in the Judiciary Comitte called it "un-American" and "Communist-inspired".

As for the other, you seem to be thinking that your opinion is somehow representative of the opinion of the majority of Republicans or Americans. If there wasn't a (big) constituency for that kind of rhetoric, then politicians wouldn't engage in it. Just remember the scorn poured on Dukakis about his ACLU membership.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »

No, of course not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »

[Again, disapproval of the NAACP and ACLU =/= thinking blacks are "un-American." Save your paranoia and handwringing for someone else.

I mentioned ACLU because the ranking Republican in the Judiciary Comitte called it "un-American" and "Communist-inspired".

Ok, but that has nothing to do with calling blacks "un-American."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, because it is a sane position and I think most people are sane.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roll Eyes

Uh huh. Again, I'd like to see some proof and not some ridiculously stretched out, "Well, Politician X said this and Y amount of Americans support him/her so they must agree with that position" reasoning.

By the way, the argument you just used is totally flawed. Just because a few politicians go on rants doesn't mean there's a big group of people following it. I can find some radical left wing nut in Congress that goes on about an issue that only a few people know/care about but that doesn't mean there's a big following.

And, again, saying such things about the NAACP and ACLU does not mean you think blacks, as a whole, are "un-American."
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »

To an extent, yes.

I think a lot of the people here are being too cynical. The only places in the country to trend Democratic after favorite son affect is accounted for are Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, eastern Oklahoma, and northern Alabama. I think some of it had to do with race in these places, but also that Obama came off as an elitist, overly intellectual to some. However, yes, the 10% or so that think he is a Muslim probably are racists.

If anything I would say that most people around where I live perceived Obama more as the elitist, overtly intellectual than as a muslim. Yes there was some closet racism, but most of it was just disdain for his persona.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

No, it's not very polite. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies