The Atlasian Sentinel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 64232 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »

I support having a 10 member House. Maybe elected the 5 Senators based on Regions, and have a 10 member house elected based on STV (or better yet, MMP) with 2 month terms.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »

The Convention is governed by the delegates. If a delegate was to bring a motion calling for the closure of the Convention, it would require the delegates to vote to close it down. However, I have long believed that the actions of the Convention should have no bearing on our actions in the Senate and regions. We should work to revamp the game as best we can until a new Constitution is ratified (if that even happens).

I wouldn't mind reducing the number in the House to 10 max, distributed evenly among the regions to the nearest whole number (so 5 regions would be two each, 4 regions 2 each, 3 regions 3 each, etc.). Feel free to offer your recommendations and ideas in the debate in the thread in the Senate. You are all allowed to post there and we want the input.

I support having a 10 member House. Maybe elected the 5 Senators based on Regions, and have a 10 member house elected based on STV (or better yet, MMP) with 2 month terms.

The STV Senate elections are the more exciting ones. I would rather retain those and allow the House to be more regional. This both prompts regions to create legislatures, but also gives regions the flexibility to decide how its legislators are chosen to represent them in the House.

I was just thinking that upper houses are usually more reflective of regional interests.

What's MMP?

Mixed Member PR. Actually, that's just stupid now that I think of it. A simple PR system would be better. The parties have lists, and we vote for the parties, or perhaps a candidate of the party we choose.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »

The Convention is governed by the delegates. If a delegate was to bring a motion calling for the closure of the Convention, it would require the delegates to vote to close it down. However, I have long believed that the actions of the Convention should have no bearing on our actions in the Senate and regions. We should work to revamp the game as best we can until a new Constitution is ratified (if that even happens).

I wouldn't mind reducing the number in the House to 10 max, distributed evenly among the regions to the nearest whole number (so 5 regions would be two each, 4 regions 2 each, 3 regions 3 each, etc.). Feel free to offer your recommendations and ideas in the debate in the thread in the Senate. You are all allowed to post there and we want the input.

The STV Senate elections are the more exciting ones. I would rather retain those and allow the House to be more regional. This both prompts regions to create legislatures, but also gives regions the flexibility to decide how its legislators are chosen to represent them in the House.

I was just thinking that upper houses are usually more reflective of regional interests.

Because of the nature and size of the game, the more prestigious house should be the one subject to national approval and a rigorous election process.

It's not a big deal, really. I support your idea over what we have now.

I once had an idea for a 15 seat Senate where 5 seats would be by district, 5 seats by region and 5 seats by STV/PR. I miss the District days, only because re-districting was a fun part of the game, even though they were uncompetitive.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »

I definitely agree that I should be President Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies