The Atlasian Sentinel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:39:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63353 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 16, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »

gporter edited his vote after 20 minutes, rendering it invalid.

Though Lief & I are still tied in a second round, due to the distribution of Dc_united's vote. Right idea, wrong poster.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

I made a bit of a typo with how to elect Senators. It could be two from each region and 9 at-large. Or three from each region and 6 at-large. Sorry.

9 at-large seems a little excessive to me for some reason. Never mind the inherent difficulty of passing a plan to reduce the number of regions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »

If we did four, we could have two Senators by each region, along with seven at-large. That would roughly approximate the current balance of regional vs. at-large in the Senate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »

Well, as time goes on, we may have regional legislatures with more than three members. I see that that could lead to additional election fun as certain members among them need to be elected to sit in the House of Representatives.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Shocked
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »

True, but not better than a French or (fingers crossed) new American system.

well we have to start somewhere.

So start with one of the more overarching, restrictive systems?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »

True, but not better than a French or (fingers crossed) new American system.

well we have to start somewhere.

So start with one of the more overarching, restrictive systems?
well i don't see someone else having a better idea. Plus there is always be some who dislikes an idea.

Fair enough, then. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »

Hamilton might win by virtue of useless drones who will fade into irrelevancy until the next time they're needed.

Isn't that how the JCP wins elections?

No, our voters are active in other forum parts, unlike RPP drones.

Hashemite, that is a grat comparison than, sadly, most Atlasians won't catch.

So? They are inactive in Atlasia, which has been a consistent issue explored by all real attempts at registration reform. Nevertheless, no good solution has ever emerged.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »

Hamilton might win by virtue of useless drones who will fade into irrelevancy until the next time they're needed.

So? They are inactive in Atlasia, which has been a consistent issue explored by all real attempts at registration reform. Nevertheless, no good solution has ever emerged.

We haven't ever registered large numbers of mysterious newbies who spam their way to the required number of posts. Surely you can understand why some of us, and it's clearly not just those of us in the JCP, find it suspicious.

I'm also sure you can understand why I don't think much of your suspicions when you & your party members make it plainly clear that you don't care at all about activity in Atlasia. Of course, I'm more inclined to address any concerns of non-JCPers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:35:21 AM »

I guess the goal now is to find some way, whether by statute or sheer effort, to simultaneously weaken the machines so no one is advantaged unduly. Perhaps a combination of Hashemite's proposal to clean up inactive members and Marokai's initiative to raise the registration requirements. Just my two cents.

The way to do it would be to introduce some sort of reform that required activity in Atlasia. Genuine activity, not just spamming. That would be very difficult to accomplish, however.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 01:04:31 AM »

We haven't ever registered large numbers of mysterious newbies who spam their way to the required number of posts. Surely you can understand why some of us, and it's clearly not just those of us in the JCP, find it suspicious.

I'm also sure you can understand why I don't think much of your suspicions when you & your party members make it plainly clear that you don't care at all about activity in Atlasia. Of course, I'm more inclined to address any concerns of non-JCPers.

I don't believe I was criticizing the activity of RPP members...

I try to recruit as many established forumers as I can to the JCP & Atlasia. Some of them choose not to get terribly involved beyond voting. But even then, many of them do chime in every once in a while, like Alcon and Lunar. I even had BRTD and Boris both come to me telling me they opposed the JCP name change. How would those guys even be aware of that if they never read this forum? And really, when the RPP constantly floods the forum with spamming newbies to vote for them, I cannot help but feel it is necessary to ask all members of my party to vote to counter them and even the playing field.

But what I'm saying is that I think there is something fishy with the latest batch of RPP recruits. And clearly just about everybody who isn't in the RPP feels the same way. But at this point we can only speculate.

Eh, you're probably my favorite JCPer, so I'll be more cordial now than I was before.

The RPP has been especially aggressive in its recruiting efforts as of late in order to level the playing field, actually. As I'm sure you've noticed, no member of the RPP has ever won an at-large special election. At some point, we realized that if we just sat around & didn't bother to expand, we may as well not even attempt to compete in the special elections.

For the most part, I am not aware of offsite recruiting, though my power in the RPP is not a fraction of what it once was. The RPP is large enough now that most of its operations occur out of my purview, & I am proud of that. After all, it was largely out of my efforts that it became such a self-sufficient entity. I do however find it unlikely that recent registrees on the forum lean so strongly to the right.

Also, we try to get many of our members involved in Atlasia. Obviously we don't get the chance to get everyone involved, but if we think that we can win a given seat while running a candidate with little or no previous experience in Atlasia, we will often approach them about running. If we can get someone genuinely interested in participating in Atlasia, that makes me happy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 01:16:43 AM »

^ Well, this forum in general tends to lean a bit to the left. When you look at these national elections, you see that when a more moderate person such as yourself ran you basically tied us... But DWTL and Duke lost not because they were members of the RPP, but because they were too conservative for your average Atlasian.

The fact that the left is so divided, into two parties, and arguably three (I consider a majority of the DA to be more leftist than rightist) would seemingly level the playing field for the RPP, somewhat.

I worked extremely hard in order to just get a tie. I literally PM'd half the JCP making the case for why they should vote for me, & as well as anyone outside of the RPP who I deemed even remotely likely to vote for me. I was sabotaged by an incredible run of bad luck, though, including something like five of my supporters getting their votes invalidated.

Also, preferential voting means that splits in each wing don't mean too much. They only really matter when party bosses start micromanaging the vote, like when Purple State got elected at the expense of Lief. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »

^ Well, this forum in general tends to lean a bit to the left. When you look at these national elections, you see that when a more moderate person such as yourself ran you basically tied us... But DWTL and Duke lost not because they were members of the RPP, but because they were too conservative for your average Atlasian.

The fact that the left is so divided, into two parties, and arguably three (I consider a majority of the DA to be more leftist than rightist) would seemingly level the playing field for the RPP, somewhat.

I worked extremely hard in order to just get a tie. I literally PM'd half the JCP making the case for why they should vote for me, & as well as anyone outside of the RPP who I deemed even remotely likely to vote for me. I was sabotaged by an incredible run of bad luck, though, including something like five of my supporters getting their votes invalidated.

Also, preferential voting means that splits in each wing don't mean too much. They only really matter when party bosses start micromanaging the vote, like when Purple State got elected at the expense of Lief. Wink

Sabotage suggests something sinister---there was nothing sinister about three of your own voters invalidating their votes.

Your side turned the absentee voting booth into the general voting booth, and I felt like we lost a lot of votes because we did not intend to go into full campaign mode so early. But we had to to have a chance.

Well, I was using it as a figure of speech.

I seem to recall Lief leading wire-to-wire in the absentee voting booth & me doing the same in the regular voting booth. I know that I did not mass PM RPPers about voting until the regular voting booth opened. If anything, I lost a lot of votes by going into full campaign mode too late. By the time I really started PMing people, I had lost several crucial votes that I think I could have gotten otherwise.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »

Well, guys like Vepres & Mechaman have basically said that they will be voting the same way as before. I don't like the RPP losing people, but if it doesn't really hurt our vote share & also helps prevent Atlasia from collapsing into a two-party system, it's not that bad.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 04:53:59 AM »

Bullmoose has been off the Court for a long time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies