The Atlasian Sentinel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63330 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: June 21, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

^^^
Again, another series of tired, uncompetitive regional elections.
They haven't worked for years.

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 01:54:35 PM by Jas »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

^^^

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-

Our senate race is competitive, so not all are boring. The Mideast's would've been had Persepolis not been Ogis. The Northeast's would've also been competitive if Smid endorsed Ronan, the candidate from his party. Something needs to be done about the Southeast and Pacific. I think we should redraw the regions, reduced them to five, and draw them so there are no safe elections.

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.

Yes, the Midwestern race is competitive. That's 1 of 5. IMO, that's not good enough.
If you review the election results in regional (and district elections) for the past couple of years, you'll find that that's about average. (I'd also bear in mind that Fritz entered the race ostensibly for the purpose of having a proper election.)

I disagree with your analysis of the Mideastern and Northeastern elections. Given the declared candidates, neither race was ever likely to be competitive. Your analysis in the Northeast is, I think,  particularly wide of the mark as I'd suggest that Smid runs far ahead of his party there, as indeed he would in just about every region. Few other RPPers could get close to winning there.

On Senatorial term-limits, I would suggest that that would only exacerbate the problem of uncompetitive elections as you're simply reducing the likely number of competitors.

Thereis nothing you can do about the Southeast or Pacific - they are one party regions. The Pacific having been so for quite some time now; the Southeast having slowly seen its non-RPP membership scuttle off into anonymity. The idea that reducing the number of regions will solve anything seems to me to be flawed - it admits that the current set-up isn't working but presumes a small increase in population will revive activity. However, there is no relationship as things stand between the population of the various regions and their activity levels. The regions have failed both as a system of government and as a basis for allowing competitive elections to the Senate.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:06:34 AM »

^^^

Our senate race is competitive, so not all are boring. The Mideast's would've been had Persepolis not been Ogis. The Northeast's would've also been competitive if Smid endorsed Ronan, the candidate from his party. Something needs to be done about the Southeast and Pacific. I think we should redraw the regions, reduced them to five, and draw them so there are no safe elections.

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.

Yes, the Midwestern race is competitive. That's 1 of 5. IMO, that's not good enough.
If you review the election results in regional (and district elections) for the past couple of years, you'll find that that's about average. (I'd also bear in mind that Fritz entered the race ostensibly for the purpose of having a proper election.)

I disagree with your analysis of the Mideastern and Northeastern elections. Given the declared candidates, neither race was ever likely to be competitive. Your analysis in the Northeast is, I think,  particularly wide of the mark as I'd suggest that Smid runs far ahead of his party there, as indeed he would in just about every region. Few other RPPers could get close to winning there.

On Senatorial term-limits, I would suggest that that would only exacerbate the problem of uncompetitive elections as you're simply reducing the likely number of competitors.

Thereis nothing you can do about the Southeast or Pacific - they are one party regions. The Pacific having been so for quite some time now; the Southeast having slowly seen its non-RPP membership scuttle off into anonymity. The idea that reducing the number of regions will solve anything seems to me to be flawed - it admits that the current set-up isn't working but presumes a small increase in population will revive activity. However, there is no relationship as things stand between the population of the various regions and their activity levels. The regions have failed both as a system of government and as a basis for allowing competitive elections to the Senate.

I'm newer, so I wouldn't know that Smid was more electable.

Anyway, let's say we completely redrew the regions so that there were only three with roughly a 33:33:33 ratio of moderates, conservatives/libertarians, and liberals.

I'd like to see that attempt (and indeed there is plenty of fresh data from this election to work with) -  bearing in mind that any change will require the approval of 4 of the 5 regions already in existence including the 2 that are effectively one party regions.

Besides, the only alternative to regions is a European-like system (which I personally hate the whole concept of a parliamentarian system, but that's another debate) as there wouldn't be enough positions for newbies in our current system without regionalism.

The ConCon is there to propse and debate alternatives and they produced many more than 1.

At any rate, i disagree with your suggestion that we have newbies all that involved in regional Government.
In the Pacific we have CultureKing and Alcon.
In the Midwest, GMantis and Lewis.
In the Northeast, Andrew and Moderate.
In the Mideast, Inks.
In the Southeast, Duke and Daniel Adams.

How many of these are newbies? Close to 0.

If we decrease the number of regions to 3, and perhaps decentralize our government so the regions have more power, than regional elections would matter more. For example, education should be more of a regional responsibility than a federal one as it is in real life.

I've heard regionalists moan for quite some time now about their lack of power (and proceed to do nothing but moan about it at any given election). The truth is that the regions already have substantial power. Indeed in your own example, I would put it to you that education is something almost entirely within the region's remit.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 04:21:59 AM by Jas »

Vepres, first of all, this paper is excellent. Keep up the good work. Smiley

How do you think all of these controversial votes should be resolved, and who do you think should, and will become the next President?

Personally, I think some in the JCP are trying to win through a technicality, and that PiT won. However, what matters is the legal opinion of the justices, should it get that far. Whatever they decide, the Sentinel will support (however, I personally may not). In the end, I think PiT will win, but we'll have to see.

Electoral laws are not technicalities.

Nobody doubted their registration until the election turned out to be close.
Ditto
I also question if the same people would be fighting this hard for those votes not to count if the questionable votes had been for Leif, not PiT.

I voted for PiT...and I am challenging the votes.
And you are just about the only one, too.

Wrong. I would also be willing to challenge these votes.
^See bold^
What I'm saying, is that the one of the main reasons most of these "challengers" are challenging these votes is because they don't want PiT to win. Would they have challenged the votes if the votes were for Leif? Who knows, but I'm sure the chances would be a lot lower.

It doesn't matter why people want to challenge votes. If anyone has reason to believe that a vote was cast illegally...then I'd say it's their duty to challenge.
Agreed
But would they have challenged it if the votes were for PiT? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Jas would have challenged the votes. He likes to challenges elections and to sue the government.

^^^
We have a winner. Grin

(I also think I'm a tough fit for a JCP stooge, as I'm sure the President agrees.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:32:21 AM »

In the Midwest, GMantis and Lewis.

Lewis left ages ago, I'm in for the Midwest now.

As Senator indeed.
The list though was of ilikeverins Governors & ican'tbelieveit'snotverins Lt. Governors.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:36:49 AM »

Vepres, first of all, this paper is excellent. Keep up the good work. Smiley

How do you think all of these controversial votes should be resolved, and who do you think should, and will become the next President?

Personally, I think some in the JCP are trying to win through a technicality, and that PiT won. However, what matters is the legal opinion of the justices, should it get that far. Whatever they decide, the Sentinel will support (however, I personally may not). In the end, I think PiT will win, but we'll have to see.

Electoral laws are not technicalities.

Nobody doubted their registration until the election turned out to be close.

Their registration is not in question (though I still believe that question marks hang-over some of these individuals). Their legal ability to vote in this election is at issue - and to my mind is open-and-shut.

I highlighted the issues as I noticed them. At any rate, even if one were to believe I was acting in some malign fashion - that doesn't take away from the veracity of my arguments.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »

The regular influxes of neophyte RPPites are becoming a useful reminder that elections are approaching. I'm particularly looking forward to cindywho2212 returning to vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies