The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63323 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

Six months ago I might have agreed with you, but I think there are alot more people who would participate if given the chance and these elections aren't really unchallenged. The Mideast, Midwest, and Northeast each had at least two candidates for the seat. Duke ran for the Senate in the special election and probably would run for the Senate if there were other opportunities for him to do so. The Pacific is of course a special unfortunate case, but we would at least find more candidates, we have plenty of them.

The old canard of not being able to fill the spaces isn't so true now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Interview With Ben Constine, Founder of Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators
By Vepres

Today, June 19, I interviewed Ben Constine, the founder of Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators.

Vepres: First I would like to thank you for allowing us to interview you.

On to the questions. The most notable thing you have done in Atlasia of late is start the "Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators"(AIAL). Could you describe for our readers the organizations goals and how it will go about achieving those goals?

Ben: Thank you for agreeing to interview me.  I think The Sentinel is an excellent newspaper and I look forward to it having a long, healthy life.

The AIAL was founded to combat the trend of people joining and seeking office in Atlasia before they fully understood the concept, or the issues facing Atlasia.  Our primary goal is to ensure that the people elected to office in Atlasia, at both the Regional and National levels, are fully cognizant of the major problems in Atlasia, and have solutions to these problems.  I have found that far too often, candidates will run for office with little or no understanding of the issues in Atlasia, and run solely on platitudes.

We hope to achieve this goal in the most basic way possible: the ballot box.  We hope to elect officeholders throughout Atlasia, to all offices, who demonstrate an understanding of the issues in Atlasia.  This won’t be difficult to do, as the AIAL currently has 9 members, from across all Regions, with several more voters proclaiming sympathy to our goals.  We also count in our membership 1 incumbent Senator, 2 more apparent Senators-elect, and either another Senator, or the incoming Vice President.  Using the democratic process is, in my view, the most expedient way to achieve our goals.

Your organizations thread mentions activity, as in, you want to get active people elected to both the regional and national legislatures. How will you decide whether somebody is active enough our not?

I personally don’t believe that activity can be quantified into number of posts, or something like that.  My definition of “active” is someone who posts frequently in the Atlasia boards, votes in every, or almost every, election, and who posts substance, not just white noise.  But of course every person will have their own definition.

So how will the AIAL choose which candidates to endorse in any given race?

A week or so before each election, we will vote on which candidate to endorse in each race.  Whichever candidate gets the most votes in each race will gain the endorsement.  In the event of a tie in a two person race, no endorsement will be given.  If two people tie in a three or more candidate race, then we will vote on the top two candidates.

Was there a single event or set of events that prompted you to start the AIAL?

It was a series of events, so to speak.  For the last several months, people have been joining Atlasia and seeking office despite, in my view, not being qualified to run for Office.  Kyle Gordon’s Senate bid is a prime example of that.  The straw that broke the camels back for me was Garrison Porter’s most recent Presidential campaign, in which he once again avoided giving substantive answers, instead posting only platitudes and delusional comments about his opponents gossiping.

I assume that includes my and Tmthforu94's campaigns, no?

To an extent.  You and Tmthforu94 are, in my view, some of the better new people to join Atlasia; you’re both active and fairly well informed on the issues.  Some new people join Atlasia and are an asset, such as yourself and Purple State.  Others are not as successful, and they are the reason the AIAL was founded.

Do you support regional assemblies, and if so, will AIAL advocate for their creation?

I support regional assemblies if they will be active.  The Mideast Assembly has been very active, and it has propelled several of its members to higher office.  In some regions, though, such an Assembly would not increase activity.  AIAL will advocate regional assemblies in regions where they will be active.

Which of the four regions without assemblies do you think would most likely have an active legislature?

My guess would be the Pacific, but it’s hard to say.  I think, though, that the Midwest would be the least active.  I can’t be sure; I’d have to watch the debate unfold, and see how that went.  A large number of citizens took place in the Mideast debate; I’d watch for that type of activity.

Finally, before we end this, I would like to ask you about your future. Are you interested in running for any political office in the future?

It isn’t something I’ve thought much about, to be honest.  I’m barred from seeking office until September, so I haven’t entertained any notion of running again.  Eventually, I will probably make a political comeback, but for now, the AIAL has my total attention.

Thank you, and good luck with the AIAL!

Thank you very much for the interview, and best of luck to The Sentinel.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »

How about this:

Reduce the Senate to 5 at-large Senators, making sure all elections to the more prestigious body are exciting.

Create a House, with 15 members, 3 max from each region, made up of 3 members from each regional legislature (if they exist) to incentivize regional constitutional reform and activity.

Abolish regional executive and judicial branch.

Require national legislation to pass both chambers. All financial legislation must originate in the Senate. Other legislation can only be in one chamber at a time, may be amended by each chamber respectively, first by the originating chamber, then by the other, and finally again by the originating before it must be passed by the second chamber as it stands.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »

Well, as time goes on, we may have regional legislatures with more than three members. I see that that could lead to additional election fun as certain members among them need to be elected to sit in the House of Representatives.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »

I like regional governments.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »

How about this:

Reduce the Senate to 5 at-large Senators, making sure all elections to the more prestigious body are exciting.

Create a House, with 15 members, 3 max from each region, made up of 3 members from each regional legislature (if they exist) to incentivize regional constitutional reform and activity.

Require national legislation to pass both chambers. All financial legislation must originate in the Senate. Other legislation can only be in one chamber at a time, may be amended by each chamber respectively, first by the originating chamber, then by the other, and finally again by the originating before it must be passed by the second chamber as it stands.

Would that just make sure that we have 5 really exciting elections and 15 really boring ones? I think now we're just trying to change and complicate everything again and go back to previously rejected proposals. I proposed a back-to-the-basics idea so we could work within the framework of what we have now, not just come up with something else entirely new.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »

How about this:

You might as well abolish the regions all together then. Not on your life Senator. Smiley

As do I.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »

Ditto.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »

Well, as time goes on, we may have regional legislatures with more than three members. I see that that could lead to additional election fun as certain members among them need to be elected to sit in the House of Representatives.

Exactly.

And as an aside, excellent interview with Ben (although you may want to pace yourself before you run out of people Wink ). I also want to thank Ben for his little shout out there. I'm glad to be involved.

How about this:

Would that just make sure that we have 5 really exciting elections and 15 really boring ones? I think now we're just trying to change and complicate everything again and go back to previously rejected proposals. I proposed a back-to-the-basics idea so we could work within the framework of what we have now, not just come up with something else entirely new.

Perhaps, but it would also free up people that hold high positions in the regions, such as justices, governors and lieutenant governors. My hope is that the regional legislatures are less competitive, sure, but also able to serve as an "introduction to Atlasia." It gets people involved in national politics, but forces them to do so through regional avenues. Also, regional legislatures with greater than three seats would have their own internal politics of who to send to the national level.

How about this:

You might as well abolish the regions all together then. Not on your life Senator. Smiley

As do I.

There would still be regional governments, but they would also be involved in national politics. There would need to be provisions on how this triumvirate would work as a regional government, but that is up to the regions, isn't it?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »

How about this:

Perhaps, but it would also free up people that hold high positions in the regions, such as justices, governors and lieutenant governors. My hope is that the regional legislatures are less competitive, sure, but also able to serve as an "introduction to Atlasia." It gets people involved in national politics, but forces them to do so through regional avenues. Also, regional legislatures with greater than three seats would have their own internal politics of who to send to the national level.

But you're really turning regional governments into skeleton crews. There's no reason to abolish regional executive and/or judicial branches, if you want to solve the problem all we need to do is allow people to serve in regional positions as well as federal ones if they choose to run for the Senate.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

And as an aside, excellent interview with Ben (although you may want to pace yourself before you run out of people Wink ). I also want to thank Ben for his little shout out there. I'm glad to be involved.

Well, I didn't want interview another person so soon, but Ben requested one concerning the AIAL, and as I believe in their cause, I wanted to help out.

Thanks for the compliment as well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »

How about this:

But you're really turning regional governments into skeleton crews. There's no reason to abolish regional executive and/or judicial branches, if you want to solve the problem all we need to do is allow people to serve in regional positions as well as federal ones if they choose to run for the Senate.

Or, what if the regional senators were also members of their regional assembly (if one exists). I say this because I don't personally like the idea of dual office holdings. Though my idea is basically the same thing, it eliminates electoral issues that could arise.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »

How about this:

The problem is, prominent members would almost be guaranteed a seat on their regional Assembly. The races may be more competitive, but the results wouldn't be in doubt. Had this been allowed I would never have left the Speakership of the Mideast Assembly, Dan may not have joined the Assembly and wouldn't have gained enough prominence to (likely) become a Senator. You have to look at the domino effect. It takes an overhaul, not just a tweak.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2009, 07:28:37 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Election Projections, June '09
By Vepres

We have some projections, albeit obvious ones:

MaxQue will win the Pacific senate seat
NCYankee will win the Southeast senate seat
Hashemite will win the Northeast senate seat

Too close or too early to call:

The presidential race
The Mideast senate race (too early)
The Midwest senate race

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »

How about this:

Require national legislation to pass both chambers (agree). All financial legislation must originate in the Senate. Other legislation can only be in one chamber at a time, may be amended by each chamber respectively, first by the originating chamber, then by the other, and finally again by the originating before it must be passed by the second chamber as it stands (undecided).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »

Of course we need a new Constitution. But the Convention is no good. I said it would get bogged down with lots of nonsense, and it did.

Stay tuned...
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »

I would hate to see the regions eliminated. I could possibly accept shrinking to 4.

As far as a ban on dual office holding goes, I think we could add some flexibility, but not eliminate it altogether:
  • A person may not hold multiple offices in the same level of government (federal or regional).
  • A person may not hold multiple offices in the same branch of government, even in different levels. (Regional Governor and Federal Cabinet, or Regional Assembly and Federal Senate would not be allowed, but Federal Cabinet and Regional Assembly would be.)
  • A person may not serve as both a Regional Governor and a Federal Senator.
  • The President and Vice-President may not hold any other office.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 05:31:17 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

More Election News
By Vepres

For all you Midwesterners out there, there is currently an election for lieutenant governor of our region.  Though it may be overshadowed by the current election, don't forget to vote.

On to the national election. We cannot project anymore elections, but we can give you the current layout of the senate.

Old Senate
DA: 4
RPP: 3
JCP: 3

New Senate
DA: 4
JCP: 3
RPP: 1
Ud: 2

Last one is undecided.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »

Why does your "Old Senate" only have 9 members?

By the way, relating to the whole Constitution problem, I've offered a major Amendment for consideration by the Senate. Feel free to tear it apart. Seriously though, I invite you all to jump into the debate when MasterJedi opens up the thread in the Government board. You guys are allowed to post in those deliberations and this is an important Amendment (that you will all, hopefully, ge tot vote on).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2009, 03:57:22 AM »

By the way, relating to the whole Constitution problem, I've offered a major Amendment for consideration by the Senate. Feel free to tear it apart. Seriously though, I invite you all to jump into the debate when MasterJedi opens up the thread in the Government board. You guys are allowed to post in those deliberations and this is an important Amendment (that you will all, hopefully, ge tot vote on).

1. Ew.

2. We have a constitutional convention for these things, PS.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

^^^
Again, another series of tired, uncompetitive regional elections.
They haven't worked for years.

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 10:13:23 AM by Vepres »

^^^
Again, another series of tired, uncompetitive regional elections.
They haven't worked for years.

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-

Our senate race is competitive, so not all are boring. The Mideast's would've been had Persepolis not been Ogis. The Northeast's would've also been competitive if Smid endorsed Ronan, the candidate from his party. Something needs to be done about the Southeast and Pacific. I think we should redraw the regions, reduced them to five, and draw them so there are no safe elections.

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Dan Has Won the Mideast Senate Race
By Vepres

We can now project that Dan will win the Mideast senate race.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »

He forgot one of the JCP Senators. It should be 4-3-3.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.

What would Senators who are term-limited do? Perhaps a consecutive term limit? So after sitting one out they can then run in the one two months later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies