The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63335 times)
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

your welcome folks. This is a tight race.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2009, 11:52:47 AM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Repeal of the Magnetic Research Legislative Act is Introduced in Senate

Introduced by Senator Afleitch, the bill would repeal a statute passed by the fifth senate. The bill being repealed provided money for the research of maglev trains and required the construction of maglev routes between major cities. However, with the passage of the High Speed Rail Act by the thirtieth senate, which was very similar, but with the cheaper high speed rail much like in Europe, many believed that the maglev research was unnecessary.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 05:58:39 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 12:39:34 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Ben Constine, Head of Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators, Endorses PiT/Happy
By Vepres

Today, Ben Constine, the head of Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators (AIAL), announced that he would support PiT/Happy for president in the coming election. Ben, an RPPer from Virginia, said, "I encourage everyone to follow my ballot, at least for the Presidency.  PiT and HappyWarrior both have long and distinguished records of activity in Atlasia, and deserve our support."

The AIAL is nonpartisan group that advocates for the election of legislators who are well versed on the issues facing Atlasian and have proven to be active in Atlasia and therefore will actively advocate for their issues.

Because Ben had finals around the election season, the group did not give out endorsements for any race, though one could say Ben's endorsement of PiT is official due to his status as the head of the organization.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »

I'm curious as to why a socially conservative economically liberal pseudo-southern populist would support a west coast socially liberal free-trader, but not much ever makes sense here in Atlasia-land.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

I'm curious as to why a socially conservative economically liberal pseudo-southern populist would support a west coast socially liberal free-trader, but not much ever makes sense here in Atlasia-land.

Atlasia is not the same as America, they are two entirely different places politically.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »

Because he believes that PiT will be more active and knowledgeable on the issues (my opinion).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

Because he believes that PiT will be more active and knowledgeable on the issues (my opinion).

Ben would vote for a kitchen appliance if it was endorsed by the RPP.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 07:11:22 PM »

Thanks Marokai, Now I know "what" we can run in the Pacific against MaxQue. Cheesy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 07:13:06 PM »

Thanks Marokai, Now I know "what" we can run in the Pacific against MaxQue. Cheesy

Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »

Marokai, you’re correct; PiT and I are not in agreement over most issues.  As HappyWarrior said, Atlasia is not America.  As I said, both PiT and HappyWarrior have very long and distinguished records in Atlasia; I worked closely with HappyWarrior during my time as Lieutenant Governor and Governor of the Mideast, and he and I are very close on issues of ideology; we really only disagree on the death penalty, and even HappyWarrior voted against the recent Death Penalty Abolition Amendment.  While I have a large amount of respect and affection for both Lief and Bacon King, I feel that the PiT/HappyWarrior ticket is the right ticket for Atlasia at this time, and therefore I offer them my endorsement.

Oh, and Vepres, my group is actually named Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

Oh, and Vepres, my group is actually named Atlasians for Intelligent and Active Legislators.

Fixed.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 01:03:41 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Senate Debating Fair Interest Rates Bill
By Vepres

The senate is currently debating the Fair Interest Rates bill. The original bill, which was introduced by the newest member of the senate, Senator Marokai, would cap interest rates on credit card debt at 20%, and the interest rate on pay day loans at 30%.

Senator Purple State introduced an amendment on Tuesday which would make the regional governments administer a six hour course on the "proper uses and risks of credit." It states that if an individual completes the course, the government will subsidize the a reduction in the individuals credit by half. To pass, one must score a 75% or higher on a government approved exam. Regions may set stricter standards.

The amendment is currently up for vote.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »

Fixed.

Much appreciated.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Interview With Presidential Candidate, Senator PiT
By Vepres

Today, June 18, I conducted an interview with Presidential candidate and current Southeast Senator PiT (RPP-LA).

Vepres: First of all, I would like to thank you for accepting this interview. Before we get to the presidential race, I would like to ask you about some questions about your work as a senator.

Do you support the Fair Interest Rates bill currently in the senate?

Senator PiT: I think it's a good idea, but as I have pointed out, it does nothing to teach people that credit cards are not just toys to spend however much they want. That's why I initiated a push for an amendment to the bill to do just that.

Should the amendment fail to pass, would you vote for the bill anyway?

I probably would. I do not see how preventing exorbitant interest rates is that objectionable, though I would be disappointed if no compromise were achieved to help teach fiscal responsibility to credit card holders.

Alright, moving on. How do you feel about the school standards reform bill?

As long as public schools exist, we can do well to set out guidelines for them. I must say that I am happy that the amendment banning soda sales failed. While students should be educated about healthy food choices, if they still choose to consume unhealthy food & drink they should be able to do so.

Midwest senatorial candidate, Fritz, has said this bill violates regions' rights. Don't you, as an RPP member, believe this bill violates regions' rights?

Regions can always implement school voucher programs if they do not like federal standards, or legislate stricter standards.

That aside, if people demand it, the federal standards could be loosened, though I do not think this is an area where regions or the federal government really should be involved anyway. It just so happens that doing things this way might encourage higher private school enrollment.

How so?

If people think that the public school requirements are too draconian, they might seek alternative means of schooling. Then again, they might not. We would have to see what ultimately happens.

So, if I understand you correctly, you support this bill because it drives people away from the public school system, and not because it could potentially improve existing public schools?

I dislike the public school system in principle. If we can take measures that encourage higher private school enrollment, I would be fine with that. That's not to say that that is my only consideration in this bill, but it is something that has crossed my mind.

Fair enough.

Alright, let's move on to the current election. First, how, in terms of governing style, will you be different from President Bgwah?

For one thing, I intend to be more hands-on than President Bgwah. I will frequently get involved in Senate debate, though I reserve the right to not take part in it. Still, I hope to be a voice for compromise where I think it willl be helpful.

I also plan to have more of an agenda than he does. I cannot remember any instance of a Senator introducing a bill at the request of President Bgwah, though I can remember that happening several times under President Moderate.

Furthermore, I plan to work with the GM to help introduce my agenda, with relevant stories, such as referring to increased efficiency in government offices. I will also encourage him to write articles about the effects of bills passed by the Senate.

What will be your top three priorities should you be elected?

In no particular order, they are:

1) Promoting freedom of the media in other countries,

2) Codifying the roles of appointed government officers,

3) Making the Game Manager more accountable to the Senate as well as to the President.

Before we conclude this interview, I would like to take a brief moment to discuss politics with you.

There is no doubt that you are one of the most influential members of the RPP at the moment. Just a few weeks ago, before the special senate election, you had four seats in the senate, tied with the DA for the plurality. The RPP candidate lost by a significant margin to the JCP candidate, then-AG Marokai, leaving you three seats. All are up for reelection currently.

Now, according to Senator Franzl's election tracker, you are behind. Not only that, but Hashemite, the DA candidate in the Northeast, has a large lead over RowanBrandon, the RPP candidate. Senator MasterJedi is currently tied with Fritz. The only race your party has the lead in is the southeast senate race. You're party could potentially be left with only one senate seat, not good news.

So, how do you feel about this?

And, as an influential RPP member, how will keep the party alive should a worst case scenario occur?

Finally, you are currently behind Lief, how do you feel about this?

I am not worried currently. The RPP voter base has not yet begun to be mobilized. Also, the RPP & DA combined are close to the same size as the JCP. Furthermore, as the votes of sbane, Torie, Andy Jackson, bullmoose, & others have shown, I have the ability to appeal to voters who are not registered with any of the three major parties.

As such, I have faith that I will emerge victorious, as will MasterJedi. I would also like RowanBrandon to enter the Senate, but it appears that this is not the season for that.

Assuming a worst case scenario that sees NC Yankee as the only RPPer in federal office, I would suggest a back to basics approach. Focus on regions where we are already strong & make sure that we can win offices there. Also, looking forward to August, we should very easily pick up one, & possibly two Senate seats.

Thank you Senator and good luck!

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

Good interview. Especially fond of the last question, getting into the fun politics of the game.

I know I'm not part of any exciting races at the moment, but I'm always up for an interview.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »

Good interview. Especially fond of the last question, getting into the fun politics of the game.

I know I'm not part of any exciting races at the moment, but I'm always up for an interview.

As am I Smiley This is shaping up to be an excellent newspaper, I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »

As am I.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »

Excellent!

In truth I am a little bit as well.

Well, I will be conducting an interview with somebody tomorrow (not a government official), but I would certainly like to interview all you senators, especially as things quiet down in the off season.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 11:18:08 PM »

Excellent!

Well, I will be conducting an interview with somebody tomorrow (not a government official), but I would certainly like to interview all you senators, especially as things quiet down in the off season.

My PM box is always open! I promise to make plenty of controversial remarks to get you lots of traffic. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »

Excellent!

My PM box is always open! I promise to make plenty of controversial remarks to get you lots of traffic. Tongue

Mine is open as well. I probably will generate some controversy as well especially with the ideas I am cooking up Grin .
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »

Excellent!

Mine is open as well. I probably will generate some controversy as well especially with the ideas I am cooking up Grin .

I look forward to hearing them Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

I could give a good humorous interview if people are up for a good laugh.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »

How to Get A Girl In 10 Days
By Governor Duke
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »

By Governor Duke

10 days? I once proposed to a girl in 10 minutes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56:35 PM »

By Governor Duke

10 days? I once proposed to a girl in 10 minutes.

How about proposing a concession in 10 miliseconds. I am getting tired Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies